Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cox "Cool Mom" commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcjb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cox "Cool Mom" commercial
    Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:41pm
This commercial airs all the time here. The mom is so annoying...

Sponsored Links

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 9:41pm
I feel bad for all of those kids.  Mom's sort of a cliche disaster.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:49pm
^  I feel bad for the Mom for having to host all those "Walking Dead" youths.  Hell, they're not even walking.  And they can't even use "dead" as an excuse.  They're all just a buncha living, breathing lumps of vegetable matter. 

If I was the Mom, I'd probably just shoot 'em all.  Make it official.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 12:32am
If she was really a "cool" mom, she give them weed and booze and put out for the boys.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 12:35am
The black kid's probably already done her.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 12:36am
His friends too.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:42pm
This commercial is back and being played VERY heavily.
I can't handle it - especially "Twinsies!...stop copying me!"

She's the kind of woman who's name you forget as you learn a new language on the other side of the earth.

I just have to bet 'Mom' is single - I can't imagine anyone who could put up with all that silliness and remain sane.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:32pm
This is the one that plays all the time here.  I hate it, especially the Mom, especially when she's all beavered out on the kitchen counter.  Something about her face reminds me of a farm animal, and not in a good way.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

This commercial is back and being played VERY heavily.
I can't handle it - especially "Twinsies!...stop copying me!"

She's the kind of woman who's name you forget as you learn a new language on the other side of the earth.

I just have to bet 'Mom' is single - I can't imagine anyone who could put up with all that silliness and remain sane.
She's got some kind of gold ring on her left ring finger so Dad is probably at work while she hosts the kiddies.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 12:35am
^^^oh, women wear gold rings on their left fingers to fend off date requests, if not just to appear more 'in' with the crowd they want to be part of, also...try and convince me that isn't true
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 12:40am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

This is the one that plays all the time here.  I hate it, especially the Mom, especially when she's all beavered out on the kitchen counter.  Something about her face reminds me of a farm animal, and not in a good way.

WinkLOLI never noticed the 'beavered out' until you mentioned it, but yes, this commercial bothers me, also. In a way, looks like the first piece of work some acrobatic family could get after the circus failed and they were forced to live in tents for a year...I really hope they get more television work as they ARE talented, but maybe something we'll see less often - when we choose.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:15am

Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

WinkLOLI never noticed the 'beavered out' until you mentioned it, but yes, this commercial bothers me, also. In a way, looks like the first piece of work some acrobatic family could get after the circus failed and they were forced to live in tents for a year...I really hope they get more television work as they ARE talented, but maybe something we'll see less often - when we choose.
They aren't a real family, circus or not, just actors.  I'll take the dog though!  Big smile  They were originally airing the whole front and backwards ad, now it's just the first half, thankfully.  I won't miss it when it's off the air.  Unhappy  I don't like that background music.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:16am

^^^oh, women wear gold rings on their left fingers to fend off date requests, if not just to appear more 'in' with the crowd they want to be part of, also...try and convince me that isn't true
That is true, but in TV Land, they always have a mandatory gold ring when they want to denote that nothing nefarious is going on, like unmarried cohabitation and sex.  Wink
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:16am
i don't think this one tested well in AZ..it shows up sporadically, but MAN that mom is like the biggest NOODGE..she needs some adult friends or maybe some prozac
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:51am
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

i don't think this one tested well in AZ..it shows up sporadically, but MAN that mom is like the biggest NOODGE..she needs some adult friends or maybe some prozac
The original "Cool Mom" video?  I've never seen it here in California either.
Thuumb View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thuumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 3:52am
I happen to think this commercial is great and funny. It's refreshing to see the mom/wife play the misfit for a change!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm
ConfusedIt's not so funny if you've seen it in real life, trust me - I have. One of my two wonderful/great cousins used to be 'the cool mom' when her kids were growing up. Now and then I would show up in ChiTown and she would introduce me to her group of neighborhood kids and that would embarrass me and put me in the occasional weird position.
Now, was it really that bad?
No.

In fact, a few of those kids are actually now renting apartments from her and still look up to her.
One actually remembers me from teaching kids how to use a camera (while drunk, which I was).

Yea, I guess it's all me.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 4:53am
i would like this better if the acting wasn't so incredibly awful..the concept is kinda okay, but that 'Mom' is so dreadful and twitchy it torpedoes a semi-decent idea
Thuumb View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thuumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:18am

i would like this better if the acting wasn't so incredibly awful..the concept is kinda okay, but that 'Mom' is so dreadful and twitchy it torpedoes a semi-decent idea

I hear ya, but I think since she's the buffoon here, her acting is supposed to be over the top!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 3:09am
I recall a few "cool Moms" in this area being charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and worse for furnishing minors with alcohol and drugs plus having sex with minor boys. A couple of female high school teachers in the USA who were Hotties having sex with underage male students. Did they really think the adolescent boys would not brag? My senior year English literature teacher was young but not hot. She really liked my 1955 Chevrolet hardtop. I gave her a ride and let her drive it. She returned the favor when she bought the first Datsun 240Z in town. Completely innocent. Just two people with like interests.  
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Thuumb Thuumb wrote:

I hear ya, but I think since she's the buffoon here, her acting is supposed to be over the top!
AH, YES..this BUFFOON thing...is probably the most ANNOYING aspect of ads today..its overused, poorly executed and freakishly derivative. Pat, Jan, Flo, the idiot Soy milk guy, Speedy cash munky boy, Potsch (to a degree), most Geico ads, Lil Sweet, ...the list is ENDLESS.
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:42pm
Comcast must have a stranglehold on my area, because I've never seen these, and am only even distantly aware of Cox as a service provider. Not even sure if they are available in my area. Point is, I've never seen this ad before watching it here.

I thought it was kinda funny. Funny like a low-tier SNL skit (from before SNL became totally irrelevant and unwatchable, I mean). Amusing once or twice, but with no staying power (which is true of most commercials, including the better ones)... I'd probably find it annoying it if it aired here all the time.

All in all, I thought Mean Girls did the "cool mom" joke better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic