Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What was your first 45?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was your first 45?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 1:49am
...or cassette single...or album....or whatever?

Forgive me if this has been discussed in here before.  I've belonged to so many online groups over the years, I forget what has been discussed where.

I bought two together.  I must have been about six or seven, based on the years these songs were released.

So this kid picked these out!  LOLLOLLOL

First one was Six Months In A Leaky Boat by Split Enz (!!!)

And the always-classy song Shaddap You Face by Joe Dolce

I was such a bizarre child!

"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 1:52am
My first 45 rpm record was the Beatles' Help! when I was around 8 or so. 

1965-66-ish.

Man, I loved that song so much it was the only sound I wanted to hear. 

I actually still have the record. Wish like hell I still had the sleeve. Cry

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 1:53am
Born To Run, by Bruce Springsteen, when I was 12.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 1:58am
only Yesterday, by The Carpenters
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 1:59am

Let's Twist Again b/w Twistin' USA by Chubby Checker when I was 5 or 6.  The label was orange and yellow, and I paid 29 cents for it at Del's corner store on Lake Avenue.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:04am
Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

Forgive me if this has been discussed in here before.  I've belonged to so many online groups over the years, I forget what has been discussed where.

I bought two together.  I must have been about six or seven, based on the years these songs were released.

Yes.  Strange combo for a 6 y/o.  But I can see the psychosis in your face, so maybe it does make sense.  WinkLOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:08am

My second record was a 45 that had a different song by a different artist on each side.  Coincidentally, my bro had wanted one, and me the other, so it worked out well.  The songs were Your Used to Be* by Brenda Lee, and End of the World by Skeeter Davis.  That was the song I liked.  I loved the rap part towards the end.  Why do the birds go on singing?  Why do these eyes of mine cry?

We got that record at Drug Fair in 1962.  The record rack was near the check-out counter.  But don't go looking for it.  The store no longer exists.  It was on Inman Ave.

* It was years before the title of this song made any sense to me.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:16am

I think before the Beatles record I had a kiddie record that was one of those "little engine that could" type stories about a train called "PUFF 'N TOOT".

Of course, little did my mom suspect that "PUFF 'N TOOT" would take on a completely different meaning for me some years later. Wink

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think before the Beatles record I had a kiddie record that was one of those "little engine that could" type stories about a train called "PUFF 'N TOOT".

Was it one of those yellow 78s?  I recall having a yellow 78 (or maybe it was a 45) about a train, which had pictures of trains on the label, and it came with this multi-faceted mirror carousel thing that slipped on over the spindle, so that when you looked at it, it appeared as if the train was actually moving.

I explained that badly, but if you had one of these, you'd know exactly what I meant.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:22am
"Goodbye Cruel World"  by James Darren.  I was 10.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:22am
Sort of rings a bell.

I don't remember what color my P&T record was but I think it was something other than black. Maybe red.

I still remember the song, though.

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:25am
Sorry, Jimbo, I got between your posts. I have heck of a time posting Youtube stuff.
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Was it one of those yellow 78s?  I recall having a yellow 78 (or maybe it was a 45) about a train, which had pictures of trains on the label, and it came with this multi-faceted mirror carousel thing that slipped on over the spindle, so that when you looked at it, it appeared as if the train was actually moving.

I explained that badly, but if you had one of these, you'd know exactly what I meant.

My mom had a bunch of those yellow 78s!  The labels were red, white and black, right?  I clearly recall there being one with Sylvester the Cat and one with some cowboy on it!
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

"Goodbye Cruel World"  by James Darren.  I was 10.

Ohh, that song is such a guilty pleasure of mine!  Tongue
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:27am

I found this in my google search for "mirror record spindle", but the item is no longer listed.  Anyway, I see it was Red Raven that put it out.  Now I have a mission.  I'll see if I can find one.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Sorry, Jimbo, I got between your posts. I have heck of a time posting Youtube stuff.

No prob.

sh*t happens.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:30am

...ohhhh yea. I REMEMBER! Because it was forced on my little carry-box record player by my folks who wanted to instill some sense of sensitivity...and inadvertently lead me down another trail that they didn't intend to.

"Puff The Magic Dragon"

I HATE that song to this day - SO f'n depressing! No, it wasn't about dope, but rather the 'end of childhood innocence'; I bet it had something to do with suicide rate increases when I was young; it could make a 5-year-old want to experiment...I couldn't listen to a white person sing for a while, after that...especially Peter, Paul, and Mary...

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:31am
Well, I went to YouTube hoping to find something relating to PUFF 'N TOOT there & all I got were a couple of Puff the Magic Dragon & a bunch of Puff Daddy vids.

I did however find an interesting video called "Girls Don't Fart".

Apparently they do....

C'mon, man!
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:33am

Of course, little did my mom suspect that "PUFF 'N TOOT" would take on a completely different meaning for me some years later. Wink

LOLLOLLOL  It's kinda sad when things from one's childhood take on different meanings!  When we were kids, my friend used to have this old piano sheet music to a song called, "Let's Be Gay and Play"  Then, abruptly, she started refusing to play that song.  Too bad, because I thought it was kinda nice!  LOL
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:34am

Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

Yes.  Strange combo for a 6 y/o.  But I can see the psychosis in your face, so maybe it does make sense.  WinkLOL

LOLLOL  I know!  That's why I posted the pic!  I have that impish "kooky kid" look in my eyes!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:35am
Easy enough because the internet has everything.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:35am
I don't exactly remember. 

I think my first 45 was the melodramatic, Long & Winding Road - The Beatles.

Well, that was the first one I bought.  My mother bought me two for my 9th birthday.

One was, I'll Say a Little Prayer for You - Dionne Warwick.  Embarrassed

I don't remember what the other one was.

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:37am

Easy enough because the internet has everything.

OOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!  My dad had a bunch of those!  I think my uncle threw them out when my grandparents died.  Shame.  They'd probably be worth something!  Unlike all of the other crap that my family tends to hold onto...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:40am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I don't exactly remember. 

I think my first 45 was the melodramatic, Long & Winding Road - The Beatles.

I remember the first time I heard that song.  It was on WNEW (maybe Allison Steele, the Night Bird), and it was the version without Phil Spector and without all the strings.  I thought it was beautiful.

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 2:42am

My first 45 rpm record was the Beatles' Help! when I was around 8 or so. 

1965-66-ish.

Man, I loved that song so much it was the only sound I wanted to hear. 

I actually still have the record. Wish like hell I still had the sleeve. Cry

I'm Down is such a fantastic Beatles song!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic