Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paul Kantner, RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paul Kantner, RIP
    Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:00am
Another one gone.

Paul Kantner, founder and guitarist of one of my all-time favorite bands, the Jefferson Airplane, and husband of Grace Slick, has died at 74 following a heart attack.

I used to talk with this guy when he'd bring his daughter (future MTV VJ China Kantner) to the comedy club I used to work at, to see Bobcat Goldthwait.

Here he is with his band, performing an impromptu (and illegal) show on a rooftop in NYC, 1968.  The song is House at Pooneil Corners, one of my favorites by them.  This is considered the first ever "guerrilla gigs", followed a few months later by the Beatles performance atop the Abbey Road Studios.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:05am
They're dropping like flies, aren't they?

We've got another week left in January.

Wonder if we'll see another one.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:21am
^  I hope not.  These deaths are actually draining me.  I'm getting numb.

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:24am
The staggering deaths of older musicians dying in January is getting creepy. I knew when Natalie Cole died on New Years Eve this was a bad foreshadowing of other older musicians dying in 2016.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

The staggering deaths of older musicians dying in January is getting creepy. I knew when Natalie Cole died on New Years Eve this was a bad foreshadowing of other older musicians dying in 2016.

Lemmy of Motorhead died a few days before her.  You have no idea who Lemmy or Motorhead are.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  I hope not.  These deaths are actually draining me.  I'm getting numb.

Careful or you might get the vapors....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:49am
...while turning Japanese?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:50am
That's a personal choice.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 2:00am
RIP PK - thanks for the years of prickin' & trickin' my ears...enjoyed a number of your musical efforts.
There.
I said it.
~~~
DisapproveYea, o.k., fine - but I'm gettin' pretty tired of this sh*t, doncha know.
I've had it with people croaking - sometimes it seems I hardly know anyone, anymore...but I guess I can live with that as long as I can make money off of 'em, eh? Think about it - doesn't it suck when you wake up to the suprise of one who has died? There are no winners there, 'cept the one who grabbed their 'MudMonkey Merit Badge' and even then, sometimes they get in the way of progress, cancha tell! Pisses ya off and sometimes seems like their last nasty practical joke is on you and ya end up getting all sensative and taking it personal an' whatnot...pretty rude, if I do say so myself.
We can change all of that.
*I* say we bet on who is next - ya know, kind of a 'musical dead pool' - 'round and around they go, someone drops in the box, someone else gets a free box lunch for a week. Whadda ya say?
"Gee, PaW - it's not fair! You know more dead musical peeps than we do...", the Teeming Minions whine like the idiots they are - "KNEW", not "know"...sheeesh!
I like everyone to be even at the 'Starting Gates', so, well...here - kind of a sheet of who is dead to date, including one musician who died twice. "Would that be a case of 'Deja Vu', PaW?!", a lemming asked me, to which I replied, "Yes".

Hope this helps the mindless guess a little betterWink

~~~
Now...Here's a toast to Paul;
May you rest well - maybe even better than 'John', below, since you probably didn't have the same 'friends' leaving such a sweet 'secret message' for you and eternity.

'Dora The Explorer & Boots The Monkey' ask:
Can anyone else see the 'secret message'? No, it isn't 'Montreal'! That's where the grave is...now, come on! YOU CAN DO IT!
 ~~~

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 2:05am
I think we are in the process of finding out the general expectable lifespan of people who spend their youth ingesting copious amounts of drugs.

C'mon, man!
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:23am
Aye, but Keith Richards will live forever. I think he's pickled. Or smoked. Either way....
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 1:05am
I was fortunate enough to see the Jefferson Airplane several times, and I was a huge fan of that band. Paul Kantner was the true leader of the J.A......and he was at the heart of their psychedelia.
I saw his latest band recently, and although they weren't as great as the original version, they still rocked, and Paul was still in fine voice, as well as his excellent guitar playing.
I will miss Paul Kantner forever.....and I hope he's jamming in heaven with Jerry Garcia, and many of his other friends who are already there.
Rest In Eternal Peace ✌️☮
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:52am
I only saw them once---Wall Stadium, NJ, 1971.  It was my first real concert.  I was 15.  It was great, but I was a little disappointed in the setlist, as they were promoting their new album Bark, and weren't playing a lot of the songs I wanted to hear.

JF Murphy and Salt was the warmup band.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:14pm
This one's kind of obscure, but worth mentioning, anyway...

Turns out the original female lead singer of the Jefferson Airplane (named Signe Anderson, featured in their first album while Grace was still in The Great Society) died the same day as Kantner.  She was 74.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:24pm
That's probably why they replaced her with Slick.

They figured she'd be dead in fifty years so they'd better get another lead singer.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:37pm
Then shouldn't Kantner have replaced himself, too?

Cher could've been a good choice for the band.  Great voice, and looked every bit as hot as Grace.  And she didn't drop out of music like Grace did.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:02pm
He wouldn't fire himself.

He was a founding member and instrumentalist.

She was just a chick singer.

I doubt Cher woulda joined unless they let Sonny join too.

Then they would've had to rename the band JefferSonny & Cherplane.

See what I did there?

Nyerk nyerk!!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:05pm
Looking for hints: Anyone aware of any musicians in the hospital and near death, today? Tryin' to get my bets placed...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:06pm
"Nyerk" is right.

If Cher left, Sonny would've had to sing "Baby, Don't Go" by himself.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Looking for hints: Anyone aware of any musicians in the hospital and near death, today? Tryin' to get my bets placed...

Probably half of them.  I mean, think of all the musicians from the 60s and 70s who are at that "dying" age now.  I assume we're going to be seeing a lot more in the coming months and years.  At some point, we're going to be completely Beatle-less.  That'll be odd.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

"Nyerk" is right.

If Cher left, Sonny would've had to sing "Baby, Don't Go" by himself.

So, you weren't impressed by my clever wordplay, eh?

Oh well. True genius is never appreciated in it's own time.

JefferSonny and Cherplane....

I kill me.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:12pm
OK...that was great.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:25pm
Envy...

....is such an unfortunate thing.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic