Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winn Dixie "Down Down" (Nine to Five)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winn Dixie "Down Down" (Nine to Five)
    Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 6:01pm
If you don't live in the southeast, you likely aren't familiar with the Winn Dixie supermarket chain.

I have a smaller one near my house that I go to occasionally for certain things, but I don't shop there on a regular basis because, contrary to the claim made by the ad, their prices are NOT that great. They're kinda high, actually.

But re: the ad itself... pretty annoying already and I've only seen it twice. Once on TV, once on YouTube prior to posting it here. That stupid Dolly Parton song alone is bad enough, but pairing it up with all those silly looking "dance moves" and goofy gyrations just puts it right over the top.

One thing I will say is, you can tell that the employees in the ad really are actual WD employees because they look exactly like typical WD employees.

BTW, since I started writing this post, its been on TV like 3 times already.

Looks like they're gonna be hitting us hard with them for awhile.

Yay.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 7:44pm
That is bad, too bad I can't find it on iSpot.
I would have made some vulgar comment about the blond and those fingers. Evil Smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

That is bad, too bad I can't find it on iSpot.
I would have made some vulgar comment about the blond and those fingers. Evil Smile

Which would bring to mind another annoying 80's song....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 8:16pm
^LOL

I love Janet Jackson, that is some fine hot chocolatte.

The first time I had cable TV in my own home was 1986, back when the MTV played music videos.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:25pm
This is crap! Bi Lo's even worse with the ugly green shirts worn by the employees. I came across Bi Lo after the Winn Dixie ad ended.

Pukealicious!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:33pm
Why oh why did I watch this?

Now that stoopid song is gonna be stuck in my head all dayWacko
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:51pm
Heh heh!!!

C'mon, man!
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:11pm
Nothing I remember about Winn-Dixie growing up is any good.
Their slogan used to be "The Beef People", but frankly I never thought it was all that.
The Winn-Dixie near my parent's house closed up decades ago.

I also remembered they had this cheesey little scratch-off game promotion involving previously run horse races from obscure racetracks.  You got game cards with your purchase, and would watch the TV later in the week to see if you "won" anything.  This would have been in the mid 70's sometime. (?)
crash1984 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crash1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

This is crap! Bi Lo's even worse with the ugly green shirts worn by the employees. I came across Bi Lo after the Winn Dixie ad ended.

Pukealicious!

Glad Food City bought the Bi Lo stores in our area last summer. Not only was it an upgrade in many ways we do not have to see those commercials.

I don't know where they get the name Bi Lo from. If it was Bi Hi on the other hand...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

Nothing I remember about Winn-Dixie growing up is any good.Their slogan used to be "The Beef People", but frankly I never thought it was all that.

I also remembered they had this cheesey little scratch-off game promotion involving previously run horse races from obscure racetracks.  You got game cards with your purchase, and would watch the TV later in the week to see if you "won" anything.  This would have been in the mid 70's sometime. (?)

Some of their smaller stores are kind of trashy, too. They have larger "Marketplace" stores that are pretty nice, though. The one near my house is an older, smaller store but it's clean and well kept.

I think it may have been an A&P at one point possibly in the 70's or 60's or before, because up until a couple of years ago, it had a red brick facade reminiscent of the old A&P's. But they remodeled it around 2013 or so, and covered the red brick with a stucco like masonry coating and painted it. Looks more modern, but I'm a red brick guy.

Take all the lettering and logo off this building and remove the fake bell tower and fence from the rooftop....

...and this is exactly what it looked like. But with the WD logo in place of the A&P, of course.

I've been shopping there occasionally, for about thirty years. Nowadays I only go there when I just need to pick up a couple of things real quick and don't feel like fighting the traffic to go to Walmart which is about 2x or more farther. I could walk to the WD if I had to.

But their prices are not that low at all.

C'mon, man!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:03pm

Nothing I remember about Winn-Dixie growing up is any good.
Their slogan used to be "The Beef People", but frankly I never thought it was all that.

"The Beef People". Horse racing promotion. Hmmm...Wink

EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
ALE515 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALE515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:03pm
The ad says the prices are low and staying low. The song says crazy if you miss them (prices). Well if the prices are staying down, then you're not going to miss them. They'll be like that the next and week after that and the week after that. Make up your mind Winn-Dixie!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by ALE515 ALE515 wrote:

The ad says the prices are low and staying low. The song says crazy if you miss them (prices). Well if the prices are staying down, then you're not going to miss them. They'll be like that the next and week after that and the week after that. Make up your mind Winn-Dixie!

A fair observation, but of course they could mean missing them by not even shopping there.

But in all honesty, if you shop there, you'd miss the much lower prices at Walmart.

Which would be crazy!!!

C'mon, man!
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by ALE515 ALE515 wrote:

A fair observation, but of course they could mean missing them by not even shopping there.

But in all honesty, if you shop there, you'd miss the much lower prices at Walmart.

Which would be crazy!!!

For all the bad press (some of it deserved) and all the weird sh!t that goes on at the typical Walmart, especially in the off hours, they do have some righteous prices.

And unlike "K-mart", actually keep more than one register open at a time!!

Oh, but back to Winn-Dixie:
I do have to say, of all the [crap] that originates from Jacksonville, Florida (the true armpit of the universe, in my humble opinion), at least Winn-Dixie does seem to have some staying power.  Usually, anything associated with JAX FLA tends to die a quick, ugly, and often public death.  Either that, or the place sucks in whatever culture there might be in surrounding cities and towns.  It's a death spiral pit of a place.  Never go there, if you can help it.

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm

...Jacksonville, Florida (the true armpit of the universe, in my humble opinion)...

My advanced apologies to Bayou Sale, Louisiana !  Cry
..(and maybe Hillside, NJ), both a close 2nd.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm

Oh, but back to Winn-Dixie:

I do have to say, of all the [crap] that originates from Jacksonville, Florida (the true armpit of the universe, in my humble opinion), at least Winn-Dixie does seem to have some staying power.  Usually, anything associated with JAX FLA tends to die a quick, ugly, and often public death.  Either that, or the place sucks in whatever culture there might be in surrounding cities and towns.  It's a death spiral pit of a place.  Never go there, if you can help it.

I've been to Jax a few times and never found it to be that bad of a place. Boring and lacking any kind of urban vibe, but not a totally dirty sh*t hole, though I'm sure there are parts of it that would fit that description.

Not much different than a lot of old, industrial cities in the South and Midwest.

Wouldn't want to live there, though.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic