Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Discovery Day!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Discovery Day!
    Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 4:34pm
This what I'd have this day renamed if I had it my way. Christopher Columbus NEVER set foot in land that would eventually become the continental US. (The Closest he got was in the Bahamas). Lief Erikson may have not been the first man either, there's  evidence others may have set foot in what would eventually be the USA as far back as 2000 years ago (and I'm not talking about those who came across the "Land Bridge" during the Ice Age to become what Cris called "Injuns" LOL)! A fellow named John Cabot set foot in North America in or near the Chesapeake Bay region in 1498. IMO This day should be set aside not only for one explorer but ALL who explored "The New World" along with people like Danial Boone, Lewis and Clark, Kit Carson, Yuri Gagarin, Alan Shepard, John Glenn, Niel Armstrong, Robert Ballard and countless others who went on REAL treks, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new lifeforms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before! Wink

Post away Friends!
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 4:42pm
I still think Columbus Day should be a country-wide celebration where we all get to take whatever we want with no reprecussions, and kill with the sword and with disease. :)

Y'know, just like Columbus did.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 6:16pm
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 7:02pm

He may not have discovered America, but he was the first to settle it and open it up for trade and all that.

As far as all the bad hype he's gotten in the past 20 or so years---that's a case of blaming the 15th century for being the 15th century.   In fact, the Indians were brutal, too.   The slave trade was happening in the Americas (and everywhere else in the world) before any Euros got here.

And what were the Europeans supposed to do?   Discover it, and then ignore it?   Maybe let some other region of the world settle it?   The Orient, maybe? The Turks and other Muslim nations, perhaps?   I'm sure they would've been kind and loving to the Native Americans.   Sure.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 7:18pm
No disrespect intended Reg...

Happy Discover Day

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

He may not have discovered America, but he was the first to settle it and open it up for trade and all that.

As far as all the bad hype he's gotten in the past 20 or so years---that's a case of blaming the 15th century for being the 15th century.   In fact, the Indians were brutal, too.   The slave trade was happening in the Americas (and everywhere else in the world) before any Euros got here.

And what were the Europeans supposed to do?   Discover it, and then ignore it?   Maybe let some other region of the world settle it?   The Orient, maybe? The Turks and other Muslim nations, perhaps?   I'm sure they would've been kind and loving to the Native Americans.   Sure.

Clap

Then again, he is responsible for me not getting a movie from Netflix to watch today, so... f**k that guy.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Calvin View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 11:03pm
I completely forgot that today is Christopher Columbus Day. Schools are still open and the buses are running on a normal weekday schedule. In fact, my radio DJ is how I found out today is Christopher Columbus Day.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 11:04pm
Just wondering how people celebrate Columbus Day. The one's who got the paid day off...
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 1:49am
One of these years I suppose I could take a back-road, mapless adventure to Columbus... in the spirit of adventure and discovery.

Nah, I'll probably just rake leaves out of the dog's pool and make enchiladas like I did this year.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 5:06am
In 2006 I spent Columbus Day weekend in the Philadelphia, PA area (I was redeeming a FREE airline ticket, I had procured while flying to a Coaster Enthusiast Gathering at Holiday World earlier that year, and I was headed out to visit another coaster enthusiast event at Knoebals Grove, PA during the Columbus Day weekend. When I found out Six Flags Great Adventure was open on Columbus Day, I decided to pay a visit to it. They had opened up four roller coasters (El-Toro, Kingda Ka, Superman and Nitro) since I last was in the area (June, 2000). I wasn't the only person to visit this park on that day. It took me eight hours to get ONE ride each on those four coasters, I later read that it was the most crowded day in that park's history (48,000 visitors, and the biggest crowds since 9/11, 2001.
Poiuyt Power!!!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Just wondering how people celebrate Columbus Day.

I grabbed a handful of my replica Spanish doubloons and pieces-of-eight and let them fall clinkingly through my fingers.  Big smile  (Hope to find some real ones someday. Wink )  I also do that on Pirate's Day (whenever that is.  LOL )

Here's some I sculpted and had cast (before learning how to cast them myself):

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:32am
Here ya go, Reg.

Denver declares Oct. 12 'Indigenous People's Day' instead of 'Columbus Day'

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

In 2006 I spent Columbus Day weekend in the Philadelphia, PA area (I was redeeming a FREE airline ticket, I had procured while flying to a Coaster Enthusiast Gathering at Holiday World earlier that year, and I was headed out to visit another coaster enthusiast event at Knoebals Grove, PA during the Columbus Day weekend. When I found out Six Flags Great Adventure was open on Columbus Day, I decided to pay a visit to it. They had opened up four roller coasters (El-Toro, Kingda Ka, Superman and Nitro) since I last was in the area (June, 2000). I wasn't the only person to visit this park on that day. It took me eight hours to get ONE ride each on those four coasters, I later read that it was the most crowded day in that park's history (48,000 visitors, and the biggest crowds since 9/11, 2001.

How do you even remember this stuff?   Last time I was on a roller coaster was maybe 10 years ago.   Or maybe it was 15.   I assume it was in the summer.   And I don't remember where, though I'm guessing it was at some fair somewhere in Northern California.   And the name of it?   Who knows?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Here ya go, Reg.

Denver declares Oct. 12 'Indigenous People's Day' instead of 'Columbus Day'

Why couldn't they pick another day for that?   

Oh that's right---it's not about actually celebrating Native Americans; it's about putting the white man in his place.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

How do you even remember this stuff?   Last time I was on a roller coaster was maybe 10 years ago.   Or maybe it was 15.   I assume it was in the summer.   And I don't remember where, though I'm guessing it was at some fair somewhere in Northern California.   And the name of it?   Who knows?

Well, for one thing I am a Roller Coaster Buff. Not to mention I've only been on 493 different roller coasters in five countries on two continents. LOL 
Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic