Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banquet Meal Starters...Sloppy Joes!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banquet Meal Starters...Sloppy Joes!
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:28pm
There's really no meat and no flavor in this Meal Starter...not a bargain!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:33pm
I need meat!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:18pm

I can't find the ingredients listed anywhere.   If there's no meat in it, what is it?   Barbecue sauce?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:58pm
I guess you need to squish up a package of Banquet "meat"balls into it in order to have some "meat" in them.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 12:22am

Mostly ground chicken, no doubt.   I've noticed that, nowadays, most of the meat in frozen dinners is listed as "chicken, beef and pork".   You have to read the ingredients to know that the meatloaf or Salisbury steak or Swedish meatballs dinner you're thinking of buying is mostly ground chicken.

That said, you don't need some Sloppy Joe "starter" to make Sloppy Joes.   A can of the sauce, a pound of ground beef and some buns---and you're there.

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Mostly ground chicken, no doubt.   I've noticed that, nowadays, most of the meat in frozen dinners is listed as "chicken, beef and pork".   You have to read the ingredients to know that the meatloaf or Salisbury steak or Swedish meatballs dinner you're thinking of buying is mostly ground chicken.

That said, you don't need some Sloppy Joe "starter" to make Sloppy Joes.   A can of the sauce, a pound of ground beef and some buns---and you're there.

^This, and a whole bunch of it. Manwich is cheap, under a buck a can, and works with ground beef or ground turkey. One pound of either and you get 4 hearty sandwiches.

Want to help me start a meal, Banquet? Hook me up with a chicken marsala kit that I only need to add chicken to or something. Stop trying to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches easier to make.

Not a huge fan of Banquet food anyway. Of all the processed stuff out there, it's one of the processiest tasting.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 1:53am
Whenever my mom would make Sloppy Joes when I was a kid, she used some kind of powdered seasoning mix along with tomato paste & water. Not sure, but I think the seasoning mix was French's. I remember it had this really spicy, oniony taste that I quite liked. Manwich has a kind of sweet taste that I don't like as much.

I'd like to find something similar tasting out there now.

Lawry's maybe.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 12:56am

^   I don't remember the brand my mother used, but I know it came in a can.   And it wasn't Manwich, as Manwich hadn't been put on the market yet.   Mighta been Libby's.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 1:46am
I saw a packet of McCormick sloppy joe seasoning last time I was at the store, but the Lawry's selection was pretty limited. I'm OK with Manwich, though. I get the "bold" version. A little more kick and a little less sweet.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 1:59am
Lawry's has great steak sauce.

Tastes exactly like Arby's roast beef sauce.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 2:04am
I've used Lawry's stroganoff and that was good. I'll take your word on the steak sauce. I'm a no-sauce guy with steak.

MrsD. She likes the A-1. Sick
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 2:06am
I don't put sauce on steak either, but that Lawry's is great on a roast beef sandwich.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 2:11am
You mean you haven't mastered the fine art of hoarding Arby's Sauce packets? Shocked
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

You mean you haven't mastered the fine art of hoarding Arby's Sauce packets? Shocked

Not only have I been doing that for years, I once absconded with a whole squeeze bottle of the stuff.

Still have the bottle somewhere.

And though I also have a plastic margarine tub full of Arby's and Taco Bell sauce packets in the fridge, I still like the idea of just being able to buy what is basically the same thing at the grocery store without having to spend six bucks at Arby's just to get a pocket full of their sauce packs.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:12am
Please, please, keep all details as to where you hid said bottle to smuggle it out of the restaurant, to yourself.

But yeah, I hear ya. Those little packets can actually be pretty expensive if you actually eat there.

Though, I did try one of the sliders recently (I got the corned beef). Those are pretty good, and cheap. Get a couple of those and ask for extra sauce and you're making out for under 3 bucks.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 3:01pm
I can assure you that the only place that bottle was ever hidden, was in my jacket pocket, and that no "other place" on my person could ever even come close to accommodating something of that diameter.

And lest there be any confusion or misinterpretation on the matter, I speak not from experience, but rather from a general knowledge of the elasticity of... well, you know what I mean.

Anyway, this is the bottle...

I cannot remember how long ago I got the thing, but I'm guessing sometime in the 1980's.

I'll tell you how audacious I was about it though, I actually took it back in with me once or twice back when they still dispensed the stuff from a pump, refilled it and took it back home!!!

I wonder how many of those little packets it would take to fill it back up.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 4:23pm
I was thinking more along the lines of you sacrificing the rolled-up sweat sock that you used to impress the leddies and stuffing it down the FRONT of you pants. But, since you automatically went the other route...

*points to the Checker's Bag thread*

Wink

I keed, I keed. Not trying to jump on some alt's trolly bandwagon.

Anyway, I have seen... regrettably... larger things prove your elasticity theory incorrect. And that's all I'll say on THAT matter.

Anyway again, you could still take your bottle to places like Long John Silver, or Penn Station, where they still have pumps, and fill up on ketchup or tartar sauce.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Anyway, I have seen... regrettably... larger things prove your elasticity theory incorrect. And that's all I'll say on THAT matter.

Oh OK, I think I see the point of confusion here.

I was speaking in terms of my own personal elasticity.

Quote Anyway again, you could still take your bottle to places like Long John Silver, or Penn Station, where they still have pumps, and fill up on ketchup or tartar sauce.

I think I'll just keep it as a knick knack.

Maybe try to see what it will sell for on eBay.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:39pm
I'm going to try, once again to get some extra tarter sauce.
I will offer to pay for it, please give me some extra sauce!
I think sometimes you just have to ask more than once to get through to these fast food peeps.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I'm going to try, once again to get some extra tarter sauce.
I will offer to pay for it, please give me some extra sauce!
I think sometimes you just have to ask more than once to get through to these fast food peeps.

Here's what you do:

• Buy Jimbo's bottle on eBay.
  • Go to Long John's.
  • Fill bottle.
  • Stick bottle down your pants and strut out.
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic