Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

General Electric with Owen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General Electric with Owen
    Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 1:51am

I'm getting a kick outta these GE commercials, featuring "Owen".

On a side note, Owen looks a lot like Obamacare's Pajama Boy.

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 7:15pm

Sleepy

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 10:47pm
I still get a chuckle when the "hammer" one comes on.
Granite View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 12:25am
I like "the hammer"  especially the way his hands quiver on the armchair at the end, Thumbs Up  but "big news" makes me wonder where he collected this bunch of losers.  When he says "I work for GE" and the ijit holding the cake says "What?" I want him to say in a loud clear voice, "I said, 'I work for GE!'""  Even though the words "developer" and "writing a new language" are used, they're still under the impression he won't be developing anymore.  Dorks!!  Thumbs Down

BTW, Owen is commercial actor Gianmarco Soresi - http://www.ispot.tv/topic/actor-actress/7_m/gianmarco-soresi, and the Obamacare pajama boy is Ethan Krupp, an OFA employee.
Pdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 12:30am
I understand why some may enjoy these and maybe its because my dvr has lowered my tolerance to all ads but this series really rubs me the wrong way.
Dad apparently has only just discovered what his sons been going to college for. He gives him this hammer (what is it, some bizarre family heirloom?) I guess to work on the railroad - in 1953!
Owen's friends seem to be easily distracted, shallow millenials obsessed over anything on their phones and couldn't seem to care less about Owen and his other group of friends go through the trouble of a surprise party while seeming to be just as clueless as his dad.
Successful commercials are supposed to connect the viewer to either a product or a brand in a personal way and this series does neither. Seriously, do any of you have parents or friends like this??
Now I've been told the point is to educate people that GE does digital AND traditionally industrial work but honestly, who looks at any global company that's been around as long as GE and DON'T know the companies going to have a mixture of both? Would anyone be at all surprised to find out there's people that work on oil rig derricks that are programmers or scientists?
These seem to me to be failures on every level.
*bonus gripe: they got an actor to play Owen as the stereotypical nerdy guy because everyone knows they ALL look that way. Jeez.
Granite View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Pdavis Pdavis wrote:

Dad apparently has only just discovered what his sons been going to college for. He gives him this hammer (what is it, some bizarre family heirloom?) I guess to work on the railroad - in 1953!

I live on an old family farm that nobody's ever moved out of and we have tons of these "heirlooms" lying around. butter churns, ice boxes, ice saws, shoe-making tools, grindstones, oxen yokes, even a 40's vintage Allis-Chalmers tractor.  I love them all, but my favorite is the still useful apple cider press.
Pdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 5:56am
That sounds amazing!  I grew up in a large city in Texas but after middle school we ended up on a ranch in the Big Thicket national forest on ten acres so I was lucky enough to have some similar experiences.  It's a rich thing to grow up with even though I may not have appreciated it at the time.
Anyway, I get your point - I just think our experiences are probably not typical, hence my snark Tongue
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Granite Granite wrote:

I live on an old family farm that nobody's ever moved out of and we have tons of these "heirlooms" lying around. butter churns, ice boxes, ice saws, shoe-making tools, grindstones, oxen yokes, even a 40's vintage Allis-Chalmers tractor.  I love them all, but my favorite is the still useful apple cider press.

Sounds like a cool place to live!

Anything like this hidden away anywhere on your farm?...

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Pdavis Pdavis wrote:

I understand why some may enjoy these and maybe its because my dvr has lowered my tolerance to all ads but this series really rubs me the wrong way.
Owen's friends seem to be easily distracted, shallow millenials obsessed over anything on their phones and couldn't seem to care less about Owen and his other group of friends go through the trouble of a surprise party while seeming to be just as clueless as his dad.
Successful commercials are supposed to connect the viewer to either a product or a brand in a personal way and this series does neither. Seriously, do any of you have parents or friends like this??
Now I've been told the point is to educate people that GE does digital AND traditionally industrial work but honestly, who looks at any global company that's been around as long as GE and DON'T know the companies going to have a mixture of both? Would anyone be at all surprised to find out there's people that work on oil rig derricks that are programmers or scientists?
These seem to me to be failures on every level.
*bonus gripe: they got an actor to play Owen as the stereotypical nerdy guy because everyone knows they ALL look that way. Jeez.

Agreed. I was going to make similar commentary about the point of the commercials and why they even felt the need to make the ads to begin with as well as the douchebaggy friends.

The only reason I can think of that they made the ads, is that maybe they had a large pile of advertising money they had to blow through in order to get a tax write off on it or something.

I mean really... WGAF??

Overall, I find them mildly annoying.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Granite Granite wrote:

You all should contact the people from that American Pickers show. Maybe they'd come out, shoot a segment and possibly buy some of it.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic