Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV channels that have gone downhill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV channels that have gone downhill
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:36am
I don't expect this thread to go anywhere, but this has been a subject in my head for a while. It seems that we all get a fair amount of channels on cable. Heck, even a fair amount of channels over the air through the good old fashioned antenna, depending on where you live of course. I only got cable last August, after just getting a few (3) channels for years on an antenna. But, in the year that I've had it, I am noticing a slow but steady decline in quality. Take the Discovery channel for example. Mythbusters is a great show, one that actually brought back a waning Discovery channel, but yet, they don't really show repeats. The Science channel does. Of course I don't get that channel, well, not without a $30+ of channels I don't want or need. The History channel is another one that's gone downhill. Sure, they do have some new shows, and they're decent, but it is still not the same channel that I remember. Repeats, repeats, repeats. Just like Discovery. Just with less frickin' Alaska shows. I wish that I could just add and remove channels at will. We have the technology. It's just plain greed that keeps the cable companies in control.

I guess the point of this thread is what channels have you seen go downhill, copy each other, seen go on a basic autopilot (a bunch of the same shows repeated in a row ), or just plain go to sh*t to put it bluntly. 

And maybe, just maybe, some cable exec will read this. Maybe it will make a point. Maybe not. But if he/she/they do happen to read this, please allow us to select our own channels to make our own package. Sorry, but whoever picked out my channel lineup needs to be fired. Out of almost 200 channels, excluding HBO, I probably watch 10-15. I think I may just switch to Hulu with the commercial free option for, what is it, $11.99 a month? And maybe Netflix for the rest. Still cheaper and less frustrating than cable.

Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:48am
Nice topic, i8.
*I* actually think most of the cable channels operate on a 4-hour schedule, showing the same shows repeatedly throughout the day - noticed it in too many different channels.
Now, shows that have gone 'downhill'?
The first one that comes to mind is really a network show - 'Person of Interest'. The first few seasons were great, but it has become an absurd shadow of itself.
Another few - 'Ghosthunters' and/or 'Ancient Aliens'.LOL They were a little fun in the beginning, but if you find yourself watching them now, consider picking up a hobby.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:55am
The only show that I've seen that you mentioned is Ancient Aliens. I mean, I want to believe. I do. But some of the newer stuff seems over the top. Maybe it's the false advertisement commercials for the show, but it always seems that it's supposed to be better than it is. But, hey, there is water on Mars, so there's that...

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:56am
TLC for sure. I still remember when it used to show cool, educational shows that were informative kinds like what Discovery was like before the bombardment of reality shows took over. Now it's side show crap like My Big Fat Fabulous Life and I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant!

I hate to say it but Science has really gone downhill too many reality shows. Why can't I have a nice Channel that's entertaining AND informative?

Smithsonian is slowly creeping towards reality I hate to say it but it is. Still must of the shows are entertaining documentaries.

VH1 went downhill FAST! Crap like celebreality and nothing else besides I Love The (Decade) on this channel fuggttaboutet!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 2:12am
TLC used to stand for The Learning Channel if I remember correctly. It's strayed so far from its purpose that I don't even look for or see it on the guide anymore.The Science Channel seemed cool to me, but the only time that I got it was when Comcrap/Xfinity did its free preview. I want more channels to learn on (with). Less reality bs.

Edit: VH1? Really? Is that still around? Wink 

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:26pm
TV Land
Cartoon Network
TLC
The Military Network that changed it's name to American History Channel 
MeTV 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic