Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

?? Windows 10 ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ?? Windows 10 ??
    Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 6:41pm
I remember Jimbo reserved a copy, today it becomes available.

I have many questions...

Before you begin

• Make sure you have:
    • An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
    • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
    • A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
  • Read the System Requirements.
  • If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.
  • For Enterprise editions please visit the Volume Licensing Service Center.

I'm not in a hurry to try this, do I have to have a disk?

I think this thing can burn, I tried to make a CD but never made it happen.

I may just chug along with Windows 7 till I have to make a change.   Confused

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 7:07pm
'Windows 10' is not a product we consider useful for business, at this time.
I've tried it and tossed it aside more than once.
You should be concerned about  Product Compatibility, Device Drivers, and Security.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 8:37pm
I tried to download Windows 10, something got in the way.

My e-mail account did the same thing. Now I can't get the codes from YouTube?
 This is really pissing me off, they gave me options to upgrade.
I went with Mozilla, It didn't finish and I am seeing no changes.
I can see a new computer in the near future.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:02pm

Take your computer to someplace like 'Best Buy' and let their 'Geek Squad' get it back closer to reality. Geeks need to make money and eat, too. 

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:15pm
^Yep, or if you want to be stubborn, simply get your Windows 10 downloaded to a USB drive somewhere like a library, local college, coffee shop, etc. Those places usually have free-to-access extremely high-speed and stable internet connections that can handle a big download like a new OS.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:28pm
I'll probably try all this at some point.  I've been dying to dump Windows 8 ever since I got this laptop last year.  Way too much b.s. and freezing for my taste.
I have 168 characters remaining.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:30pm
^That isn't what I am saying.
I'm advising aka to take m'sofkd-up machine to a shop and get earlier windows on it.
They will do it and salvage as much of your machine as they can at a very affordable price...and Geeks get to eat.
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:46pm
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I'm advising aka to take m'sofkd-up machine to a shop and get earlier windows on it.
They will do it and salvage as much of your machine as they can at a very affordable price...and Geeks get to eat.

This is what I get for typing before reading the whole topic, I suppose. Wink
I have 168 characters remaining.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:07am
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

This is what I get for typing before reading the whole topic, I suppose. Wink
ShockedConfusedApologies, NR - I was responding to PapaL without quoting him, thus, you stepped right into the 'line of firefrozen and/or compromised' Windows 10 machines.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:16am
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

Just a heads up for anyone considering Windows 10.

And so it begins all over again. Confused

Not really all that big of a deal when you carefully read the article. Your WiFi router password gets encrypted & automatically sent to the computer of anyone you have listed as a contact on FB or Skype & only when they come in range of your router's WiFi signal.

Since I have virtually no FB contacts & 0 Skype contacts...AND....nobody ever visits my house.... .... I don't see any problems for moi personally.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:15am

Take your computer to someplace like 'Best Buy' and let their 'Geek Squad' get it back closer to reality. Geeks need to make money and eat, too. 

I saw one of their black & white VW bugs in the neighborhood the other day.

When my last computer crashed, I called Geek Squad.
It must be a very popular service because they said it would be at least a week even if I drop the computer off.

I'm seeing my YouTube codes this morning, what ever the issue was yesterday it seems to have corrected itself.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:58pm
The only thing I've ever heard people say re: the BB Geek Squad, is to NOT take your computer to them.

Better to find a locally owned shop with a solid reputation.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

The only thing I've ever heard people say re: the BB Geek Squad, is to NOT take your computer to them.

Agreed. I once had some problems with my computer, and talked to the Geek Squad about it. Their solution would've cost me about $700 (and included buying a new computer). So I called some local guy who runs a business called PC House Calls out of his parents' house, and he had it repaired better than before for about $125. That was 6 years ago.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Agreed. I once had some problems with my computer, and talked to the Geek Squad about it. Their solution would've cost me about $700 (and included buying a new computer). So I called some local guy who runs a business called PC House Calls out of his parents' house, and he had it repaired better than before for about $125. That was 6 years ago.

Really bright boys.

I know somebody who got a bad Toyota at a good dealership in Ontario a year ago. Then I heard second-hand through the grapevine and translated that someone else got a crappy Toyota from in Japan, oh...maybe 10 years ago.

THE POINT WAS:

One does not need to buy a new machine because of 'just another Microfkup'. In fact - don't do it.

What I provided was a suggestion - and one option.
When I'm not around the swamp, my aged father takes his machine to the Geeks when he has problems (not related to his Alzheimers). They help a lot and don't charge him squat. They actually have salvaged his machine.
Maybe he's lucky.
For those not comfortable addressing machine issues: 
Anyone with ANY brains would actually first check some local reviews for price and service quality before choosing a service provider.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:22pm

Really bright boys.

Anyone with ANY brains would actually first check some local reviews for price and service quality before doing anything with any nearby service provider.

And so, I repeat...

Let me repeat that last part of that quote one more time....

....with a solid reputation.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:34pm

Anyone with ANY brains would actually first check some local reviews for price and service quality before choosing a service provider.

Without a computer, I was just glad I'd saved a few old Yellow Pages so that I could find the name and phone number of a service provider.

(How did we get by before the internet w/o Yelp or Angie's List?)

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:38pm
I've had this computer for 4 or more years, it's not likely I would pay a lot of money to have something fixed.  The tech industry lives on built in...
   Obsolescence.
the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:03pm
I hope to get another couple of years out of my flaptop.

Still works fine & does everything I need it to.

Will wait a bit to attempt the free Windows 10 upgrade, though.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:09pm
LOLGee...touchy, touchy, touchy.
angry girl : Small girls (sisters) siting on bench offended after quarrel - outdoors in backyard
'solid reputation'?
You can chase reputations if you like - I like recent reviews and references. For me, they speak more to the current performance of a provider.
'phone book'?
Library.
'Obsolete'?
In the eyes of the beholder - really depends what one needs...but its your money and its all good. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:21pm

LOLGee...touchy, touchy, touchy.

'solid reputation'?
You can chase reputations if you like - I like recent reviews and references. For me, they speak more to the current performance of a provider.
'phone book'?
Library.
'Obsolete'?
In the eyes of the beholder - really depends what one needs...but its your money and its all good.

I'm not being touchy, Pa. I merely pointed out that I had already specified that any local shop I'd go to before Bust Buy, would have to have a good reputation for providing good service at a fair price.

That would obviously entail doing one's homework regarding reviews & references from trusted sources.

What do you think "reputation" means, anyway?

C'mon, man!
videotapeguy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videotapeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:00am
Of course, Windows 10 cannot be trusted without having to manually start the download process and a few errors during installation.

I HATE Microsoft. So much.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by videotapeguy videotapeguy wrote:

Of course, Windows 10 cannot be trusted without having to manually start the download process and a few errors during installation.

I HATE Microsoft. So much.

That's why I'm gonna hold off downloading it until they work some possible bugs out.

C'mon, man!
videotapeguy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videotapeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:49am
I was a Windows Insider. The beta was kind of glitchy on the Start Menu. Try to make the Start Menu fullscreen, and it disappeared and I had to reinstall the beta.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:57am
I hate this commercial so much I think it's the announcer. If he wasn't so damn saccharine I could tolerate it. I'd wish he'd shut up!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic