Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local News sets are so boring nowadays

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local News sets are so boring nowadays
    Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 3:24am
Man it seems local news sets look the same at least in Connecticut. For example 5 years ago WFSB set was in front of a newsroom, now? Just a simple desk in front a screen displaying a city in Connecticut this is similar to the 1990s news desk which displayed the Hartford Skyline. Now let's look at WTIC set. In 2006 we saw again another newsroom with glass panels in the back displaying the map of Connecticut and the USA. Now? Just two chairs at a desk. with a screen. Same with WTNH in the 1990s part newsroom part colored panels which displayed which time of newscast it was. Today? A desk with two chairs and a screen in the back. I'm longing for the days of the 1970s to the early 1990s where newsrooms were more complex and intricate. I'm even seeing on national news CNN News Room in the mid 2000s? Newsroom. Today a desk with a screen displaying multiple images.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:44pm
Agreed. Take a look at Yakima's...ahem, only newscast. KIMA-29 (CBS). Ten years ago the set looked great! Beautiful picture of the valley and Mt. Adams behind the desk, which fit 4 people (two anchors, plus sports/weather). Everything was local about the newscast...the former weather guy was here over 25 years. Now, just two HD TV screens displaying the KIMA logo, which is something you would see in a dull community college production. There is only one anchor nowadays, one sports director (who has been there 20 years+) and weather is pre-recorded from Tri-Cities 70+ miles away! No LOCAL news on weekends and mornings, it all comes from Tri-Cities with a couple of Yakima related stories. That's Sinclair Broadcasting for you! Cut down costs, cheapen news sets and not allow unbiased national stories. Sinclair is right-wing when it comes to national news.

KNDO (NBC) and KAPP (ABC) are Yakima stations but don't even have a Yakima studio anymore...it's all in Tri-Cities. KNDO is a news desk fitting 3 or 4 people with the newsroom behind it (looks better than KIMA for a change). KAPP looks awful at times and barely decent other times. Sometimes it looks like a high school morning announcements show - only 2 people can fit at the desk. Other times they roll out a nighttime picture of the Tri-Cities behind the set. Weather on KAPP comes from a 3-hour drive away in Spokane (pre-recorded, I'll say). No weekend newscasts, 11PM is supposedly five minutes long, but is really 3 minutes of top stories and about 10 seconds for weather, and two minutes of commercials before going into Extra!

Seattle's sets look better, but when it comes to the backgrounds... - KIRO has a set showing Seattle in the background, KOMO has a dull set with a "4" in the background, KING has a set that is 15+ years old with a bunch of TV monitors in the back (but Seattle backgrounds behind sports/weather) and KCPQ has four narrow HD screens which look quite nice. KING might be getting a new set in the future as it was bought out by Gannett (now Tegna) in 2014.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:19pm

Not every local news show can afford Shepard Smith's own Starship Enterprise, I guess.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:29pm
I remember when Shepard Smith was a local field reporter here in Orlando.

I don't remember for sure if he was ever an anchor, but I don't think he was.

And he wasn't on Fox then, either.

I think he was on our local CBS affiliate.

EDIT: Yeah, it was CBS.

From Wikipedia:

Smith signed his first television contract with WJHG-TV in Panama City Beach, Florida. He worked as a reporter for WCJB-TV in Gainesville (1985), a reporter for WBBH-TV in Fort Myers, reporter/anchor in Miami with WSVN and as a reporter at WCPX-TV (now WKMG-TV) in Orlando.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:31pm
^LOL
Shlt, I was laughing at Thors post, damned interweb.
We are having death and destruction in our news.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:43pm
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:28pm
Holy moley you're newscast still uses the moinker "Action News"? That's WTNH's old momiker from the 1970s-1996! Wow!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:44pm
KIMA 29 in Yakima is "Action News." Mornings/weekends, "KIMA/KEPR Action News," relayed from Tri-Cities, an hour and a half drive away! Most of their news is "statistics" - how many shootings there were in 2014 compared to 2013, how many fights were at local schools in 2014-15 compared to 2013-14...YAWN!!! I want some real news!
Yakima's news makes the Seattle stations look like they are in NYC, news-wise. Anchor-wise, well not as much. Many veteran anchors have been cut or retired the past few years. Jean Enerson was one example, she retired from KING-TV last year (but still does occasional HealthLink segments that are also aired on Northwest Cable News) after over 45 years at that station. Dan Lewis retired from KOMO-TV after 31 years of covering the news each weeknight. Several veteran reporters have also been cut from local stations - that's Sinclair and Gannett...I meant TEGNA for you! Replace veteran news anchors with cheap 25-year-old talent, cut costs, save money.

Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 11:12pm
BTW is it possible that your station used "Move Closer Your World" back in the 70s? I've learned that WTNH used that music way back when! I find that fascinating!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 12:50am
Don't believe they did. No info on SouthernMedia on KIMA, and KEPR only goes back to 1986.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 1:48am
Darn.
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I'm longing for the days of the 1970s to the early 1990s where newsrooms were more complex and intricate.

Are you talking about something like this, from when Ted Koppel was in ABC's Washington bureau doing Nightline?

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:19am
^^ AdN is 28 yrs old. How do you long for the day when you weren't even born yet?
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 6:04am
Nowadays they can just set up a greenscreen, display an office "scene" in the background, and nobody would really notice (or care...)  
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

^^ AdN is 28 yrs old. How do you long for the day when you weren't even born yet?

I've looked at newscasts from the 1970s and 1980s. Mostly from various clips on the internet. However I long more for the early to mid 1990s where graphics and sets were more colorful!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 4:09pm
One of our "local news stations" (all 4 are 60 miles from my house) has nothing really great or awful concerning their set but suffers from "Keystone Cop" like production problems which can be quite amusing. The usual microphone not switched on and transmission/reception failures which are common to all stations. This station has a much higher amount of wrong or no video for commentary, and frequent unexplained total blackouts which I jokingly identify as "someone tripped on the cord and pulled the plug again". What prompted me to post is their "Village Idiot". He is a newscaster whose mistakes remind me of Dan Qualeisms. Last nights gem concerned the giant radio telescope being constructed by the Chinese. He predicted that upon it's completion next year it is expected to be able to pick up signals from "Distant Universes"!!! Wow! That'sa one powerful telescope!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:59am
If you want really boring sets, how about those from before 1970, where there was a talking head behind a big desk with the anchor's name on it and the name of the station somewhere on there.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 5:19pm
This is the brand new set just unveiled yesterday by our local ABC affiliate. They gave a little overview & tour while boasting about it last evening on the pm news...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

This is the brand new set just unveiled yesterday by our local ABC affiliate. They gave a little overview & tour while boasting about it last evening on the pm news...

That looks like a pretty spacious studio for Eyewitness News in Orlando on Channel 9. I like that!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 6:54pm
Warning for adult language.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Nice, big and spacious I LIKE!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:14pm
I like the colors.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic