Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anybody here know this jingle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anybody here know this jingle?
    Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:09pm
The ice cream truck that comes by here several times a day plays this merry little fucking tune.
Does anybody here know what this jingle is called? 

It's really starting to piss me off; though I suspect that the driver of this truck who has to
listen to it for eight hours a day is even more pissed and his OWWW! Turn that $#!7 down! from it! 

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:15pm

Isn't that Turkey in the Straw? It's the same tune the ice cream truck in my California 'hood always plays.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:16pm
That DOES sound familiar! Can't put my finger on it but I've heard it before way back in elementary school!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:19pm
Apparently the origin of that song is so racist, that searching for the name used by ice cream trucks only nets you news about the racist origin.

Of course, that means it will be removed from ice cream trucks soon, and torment you no longer.

Thumbs Up
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:24pm
Found something!

Compare with this:

I don't know if its racist or not.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 11:26pm
That's the 1942 version, in which case Thor is correct. Dig deeper, circa 1916.

I'm not posting the vid.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Apparently the origin of that song is so racist, that searching for the name used by ice cream trucks only nets you news about the racist origin.

Of course, that means it will be removed from ice cream trucks soon, and torment you no longer.

Thumbs Up

The ice cream trucks around here use "Turkey in the Straw". I researched it online. Performed in "Black Face". Innocent lyrics altered to racist. I'm totally shocked. NOT! I'm sure just about any song including opera and hymns could have original lyrics changed to racist. Apparently that somehow makes the notes of TITS (Honest. I didn't see that coming as the acronym for "Turkey in the Straw"!)without any lyrics racist? You know what I think will happen when these morons achieve their goal and all traces of racism are finally eradicated? Racism will have the opportunity of a completely fresh start.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:59am
^ I dug a little deeper myself and you're right... the ORIGIN isn't racist, just an early 1900s adaptation, that adaptation being extremely racist.

For his creation, Browne simply used the well-known melody of the early 19th-century song "Turkey in the Straw," which dates back to the even older and traditional British song "The (Old) Rose Tree." The tune was brought to America's colonies by Scots-Irish immigrants who settled along the Appalachian Trail and added lyrics that mirrored their new lifestyle. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:51am

^ Kinda like Weird Al changing lyrics to older songs, I guess.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:51am
Another song played by the ice cream truck in my old 'hood is The Entertainer (theme from the movie The Sting).

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^ Kinda like Weird Al changing lyrics to older songs, I guess.

Weird Al and Gallagher, as the adaptation involves watermelon. LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 11:05am

As in...?

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 11:15am
Eeyup.

Pretty much a "come and get your watermelon" song.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 11:18am

I must be a little black, too. When I get a good watermelon, I'm in heaven.

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 1:44pm

Another song played by the ice cream truck in my old 'hood is The Entertainer (theme from the movie The Sting).

Thank you everybody for the speedy replies!!! Big smile

Another ice cream truck comes by here a few times a week playing such "hits" as:

The Entertainer
Theme from the movie, "The Godfather"
Theme from the movie, "Love Story"
Twinkle Tinkle Little Star
Mary Had a Little Lamb

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Angry McPisseron Angry McPisseron wrote:

Twinkle Tinkle Little Star

How do you know that's not the ABC Song or Baa Baa Black Sheep?

;)

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 2:11pm
That tune linked in the OP is also the one we used to sing as little kids with these words...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:39pm

I've heard "The Entertainer" in another city.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic