Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Fructose Corn Propaganda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Fructose Corn Propaganda
    Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 2:05am

blech. propaganda....
Sponsored Links

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 2:19am
It rots your teeth, just like sugar!  It can make you gain weight, just like sugar!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 6:30am
Yep.  We know sugar and corn syrup rots your teeth, and causes weight gain and diabetes, yet so many people choose to worry more about the vague, unfounded, anecdotal sorts of concerns regarding artificial sweeteners like Splenda.

Diabetes won't kill me, but that scary monster in the closet will.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 7:25am
Absolutely!  High fructose corn syrup is such a HUGE part of America's obesity problem (no pun intended).  This is the crap they put into the cereals instead of sugar.  I'd rather have plain old sugar!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 1:45pm
I have been weeding out the HFC in my Family's diet and making lists of products that don't contain it, it's not easy, because, it's in things you would never think it would be.I'm learning about how much our food is tampared with, it's quite scary!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 3:12pm
I've been badmouthing corn sweetener ever since I tried Mexican sodas hecho con sucra, years ago.  I noticed that, while their sweetness is over-the-top, it's also very clean.  Nowadays, I try to use Splenda and the like as much as possible, but it's difficult to avoid both sugar and corn sweetener sometimes.

Yesterday, I happily filled my veins with kids' birthday cake.  Don't know what they used, but it was gooooooood.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

I have been weeding out the HFC in my Family's diet and making lists of products that don't contain it, it's not easy, because, it's in things you would never think it would be.I'm learning about how much our food is tampared with, it's quite scary!

I swear I could be the spokesman for Torani syrups as much as I tout them.  But, if you add Torani flavorings to seltzer, you can have soda with your choice of either real sugar or Splenda.  They have a million flavors, too...from almond roca to kiwi to toasted marshmallow.  Sugar-free includes peppermint, peanut butter, raspberry, and many others.  Also good in milk.  Certainly makes skim milk very palatable.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 3:23pm
I found this stuff called Agave Nectar, at Ocean State Job Lot.  It claimes to have a low glycemic index.  Since I'm dabbling in nutrition these days, I bought some.  It's similar to honey except it comes from a plant and there are no bees involved.  It's mucht lighter and thinner than honey, though.  Actually. it's more like beige simple syrup.

Anyway - it's pretty good.  I've only used it in coffee,  and drizzled on whole grain flax pancakes.  So far.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
kuribo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuribo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 5:31pm
Wait, did they really do a commercial where a white lady admonishes a black woman for serving something that looks like Kool-Aid? I declare shenanigans!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by kuribo kuribo wrote:

Wait, did they really do a commercial where a white lady admonishes a black woman for serving something that looks like Kool-Aid? I declare shenanigans!

Don't worry...the black woman puts the white woman in her place.  Phew.  That was a close call, I must admit.

ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 2:10am
"It's safe, in moderation".

That doesn't immediately bring the word "safe" to mind...
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yep.  We know sugar and corn syrup rots your teeth, and causes weight gain and diabetes, yet so many people choose to worry more about the vague, unfounded, anecdotal sorts of concerns regarding artificial sweeteners like Splenda.

Diabetes won't kill me, but that scary monster in the closet will.

I've been hooked on splenda for the past year. The stuff is pretty pricey, but if you play the coupons and sales right, you can get it cheaper than regular sugar.

This commercial reminds me of the ones that the oil companies put out telling us how good they are for the environment.
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 12:48pm
I'm amazed that they're allowed to get away with these commercials.  Ugh!
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

I've been hooked on splenda for the past year. The stuff is pretty pricey, but if you play the coupons and sales right, you can get it cheaper than regular sugar.

Check out WalMart's version.  Same stuff, but about 2/3 the price.  At least the big bag is (9 or 10 ounces maybe?).  I think it's called Altern.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:44pm
Hmmm, let me see, what IS wrong with HFCS?

- It's called fructose, but it's not the kind of fructose that you find naturally - it's a highly refined product, actually very similar to the products that we have already deemed "scary".

- It's been known to cause diabetes, rot teeth (both mentioned above), and cause fatty liver.

- It's forbidden from being used in formula. If it's so "safe", what are formula makers (who are companies, just like all the others) so afraid of?
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:48pm
How about the character's argument points.. "it's made from corn?"
"It's sweet as sugar?"

as I noted on the youtube comments,
I can think of other things made from corn. Let's see.  A lot of plastic, ethanol, xylitol.
What else is sweet?
I guess antifreeze is pretty good.
I have heard cyanide has a tangy, sweet almondy flavor
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 2:12pm
Other things the HFCS has been known to do:

It can lead to high blood pressure
It can raise triglycerides (fat in the blood stream)
It raises LDL (bad cholesterol)
As I mentioned before, it can lead to fatty liver (which is otherwise known as cirrhosis, which is a condition that used to be found mostly in people that had been alcoholics for years).
It is made of both glucose and fructose, so it simultaneously overloads the liver while elevating blood sugar.

While the woman says, "It's safe in moderation," there is no such thing as moderation with this thing. It is in basically every processed food - whether it's sweet or not. Many people eat stuff without looking at ingredients lists, and they don't realize that they may be getting well over a hundred percent of the daily serving of HFCS.

Therefore, always read the ingredients!Clap
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by ToxicShock ToxicShock wrote:

"It's safe, in moderation".

Yeah, so is booze. LOL

I saw this the first time last night.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 7:34pm
I saw 2 different HFCS propaganda commercials yesterday, within about 10 minutes of each other. I'm sorry, this country has a huge problem with the corn lobby, and what with corn ethynol being touted as the new savior I'm SICK of feeding the corn lobby, corn does NOT need to be in everything. I try to avoid HFCS whenever possible, where do they get off saying its made from corn so therefor its safe. IT ISN'T SUGAR and neither is Splenda. If I can have the real thing I want the real thing, not a substitute.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I saw 2 different HFCS propaganda commercials yesterday, within about 10 minutes of each other. I'm sorry, this country has a huge problem with the corn lobby, and what with corn ethynol being touted as the new savior I'm SICK of feeding the corn lobby, corn does NOT need to be in everything. I try to avoid HFCS whenever possible, where do they get off saying its made from corn so therefor its safe. IT ISN'T SUGAR and neither is Splenda. If I can have the real thing I want the real thing, not a substitute.

You might change your mind if/when you develop diabetes or your first weight problem.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 10:21pm
Anyone ever hear of Stevia aka "sugar leaf" or "sweet leaf"?

A friend of mine uses it.

Available everywhere.

According to this Wiki, it's extracts are up to 300 times sweeter than sugar.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 11:13pm
Do you know what high fructose corn syrup does to you?

No but it's delicious.

Seriously, though, I don't think high fructose corn syrup can be blamed for obesity. We all eat high fructose corn syrup, it's in freaking everything. Yet not all of us are fat. Some of us just have a genetic predisposition, or don't exercise, or eat too much of the "bad" foods. I don't think it's fair to ruin it for everyone.

I KNOW that there's tons of people who can't control their body's predisposition to weight gain, but...I know I sound like really mean by saying this, but it's not food companies' job to look out for each and every one of us.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 11:23pm
Hi Kat!  Good to see you!

I don't share your affection for HFCS, but it occurred to me that the only way you "know" soda, and many other super-sweet things, is the HFCS version.  That's probably been the norm, your whole life.

When they used to use real cane sugar, coca cola was better. 

If you can find some in the grocery store (supposedly the kosher version has "real" sugar) you may be able to taste the difference.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by kat kat wrote:

Do you know what high fructose corn syrup does to you?

No but it's delicious.

Seriously, though, I don't think high fructose corn syrup can be blamed for obesity. We all eat high fructose corn syrup, it's in freaking everything. Yet not all of us are fat. Some of us just have a genetic predisposition, or don't exercise, or eat too much of the "bad" foods. I don't think it's fair to ruin it for everyone.

I KNOW that there's tons of people who can't control their body's predisposition to weight gain, but...I know I sound like really mean by saying this, but it's not food companies' job to look out for each and every one of us.

I think you're right at least about some people's predisposition toward weight gain.

Americans eat too much crap & don't get enough exercise.

Hard to blame us for the fattening foods we eat because they're everywhere & the companies that sell it make it cheap & plentiful with the advertisements there to make it look sooooooo enticing. Tongue

Plus, it's just so much easier than cooking all the time.

Also, lot of the "obesity epidemic" is just the result of aging. Once you pass the age of 30 your metabolism begins to slow down drastically along with your energy level. By that time, you're more likely to have established a career which often times requires long hours & by the time you get home at 7 or 8 in the evening after being there since 6 or 7 that morning, the last thing you feel like doing is going for a brisk jog or hitting the gym.

By the time you reach 40, you can forget about losing weight. Unless you're naturally thin, you can expect to start noticing your waistline along with everything else start to get bigger & no amount of starvation or self-control is going to make a big difference. The amount of exercise that used to result in weight loss no longer results in anything except tiredness & sore muscles & joints.

After 50 stick a fork in it, you're all done. All you can do now is try to eat as healthy as possible, try not to smoke, get whatever exercise you can by walking, bike riding or working in the yard (which you are more likely to have one of by that age), take vitamins & supplements & just try to maintain a decent overall level of cardio-vascular health even though on the outside you might still be a little on the tubby side.

By that point, you stopped giving a crap about staying thin a long time ago.

But hey..... you just keep on looking forward to the future!!!! LOL

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

You might change your mind if/when you develop diabetes or your first weight problem.

Hence the " If I can have the real thing". If I can't due to disease or weight that could be another story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic