Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Fructose Corn Propaganda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kicket View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Fructose Corn Propaganda
    Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 10:34pm
I will NOT touch splenda or any OTHER FAKE sugar because its not something natural its a chemical anything with aspartame is real dangerous google aspartame look at all the toxic(non eatable)stuff thats made with it..and they say we can eat it???

ASPARTAME VERSUS SPLENDA (SUCRALOSE)

The dangers of aspartame are now widely known, but the risks of using Splenda are not documented – until now. Splenda may not penetrate the blood brain barrier as aspartame does, hence entering the brain and creating neurotoxin havoc at the brain center, but Splenda CAN adversely affect the body in several ways because it IS a chemical substance and not natural sugar.

Sponsored Links

MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

It rots your teeth, just like sugar!  It can make you gain weight, just like sugar!
LOLLOLLOL
Cherry_Carver View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Originally posted by DTXBrian DTXBrian wrote:

OH!  And as far as people saying that it doesn't occur naturally in anything?  Think again.  Fructose is produced in plants naturally.  Glucose is produced in animals naturally.  HFCS is pretty much just taking the two and mixing them together.  A fair analogy would be saying that chocolate maple syrup doesn't occur naturally.  Perhaps it doesn't, but mixing chocolate and maple syrup doesn't exactly make them unnatural products...People need to stop being afraid and ignorant.
Thanks for the info some guy we'll probably never hear from again unless its to praise all mighty corn sweetener. Marijuana and opium occur naturally, but they still aren't legal (or particularly safe). If you do come back, answer me this: Why can't we just use sugar? Corn lobby got your tongue? Screw the sugar tariff, I'd gladly pay more for sugar any day.

LMAO!!! THANK YOU Hezadancer! I lost ten lbs in less than a month after I stopped eating everything that had HFCS in it. I won't eat it. Period. Pisses me off to see those ads saying how safe it is. It has been scientifically proved otherwise.

New findings published this month in the journal Cancer Research by University of California Los Angeles researchers could further sour the public's sentiment toward the super-sweet, super-cheap syrup and reduce its use even further. HFCS is 55% fructose and 42% glucose. The study found that pancreatic tumor cells metabolized fructose differently than glucose and that the cancer cells "readily metabolized fructose to increase proliferation." In other words, as the headline reads, "Cancer cells slurp up fructose."

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/cancer-slurping-fructose-could-sour-the-soda-business/19581530/
The Last Brain Left View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 9:27pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by gail gail wrote:

As for corn syrup....one question; why?

Cheaper than regular sugar.

Because the US grows more corn then sugar, so to appease corn farmers they have an artificial tariff on sugar imports, so it makes corn sweetener an attractive substitute. f**k corn farmers, not everything needs corn just because we grow a lot of corn! Corn ethanol is not the wave of the future either.

While I agree that the corn farming lobby has WAY too much power in Washington, it's just bad policy to turn away from a domestic source in favor of an imported good. We already import too much petroleum, we don't need to become just as dependent on foreign sugar.

If the people want sugar sweetened cola, someone should start a company, produce it, and compete with the HFCS brands. If the price is compatible, I'll buy it, and I live on cola, so that's a lot of business.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

There are some studies that have shown that HFCS lacks key elements that allows the "sweet tooth" message in the brain to shut off when it is satisfied.
Whether this alone lends to overeating and high caloric intake seems a little unlikely but it just shows that better living through chemistry is not always so.

And like said a few times here cane/beet sugar just tastes better.

Even if true, it's always up to the individual to stop drinking. I don't want to have to pay more for my sugar-sweetened soda just because SOME people can't say enough is enough.

There are also studies that dispute the studies you cite. In the end, who knows? Science has been co-opted by politics to such a degree that I question everything I hear, and so should you.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill
PrinceJ View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrinceJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 1:30pm
Did any of you know that the third ingredient in Stew Leonard's Fat Free Half and Half is corn sweetener?  Maybe Coca-Cola should advertise itself as fat free too!
"Even an old fart was once a breath of fresh air"
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 8:04am

Get over it, Obama haters.

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

I don't "hate" Obama, but I vehemently disagree with a LOT of what he is trying to do, and the ways he is trying to do it, especially in this economy.  I also have nothing generally against small cars, hybrids, flex, and others. Right now, I am waiting for a really cool three wheeled gas hybrid that is projected to get about 70 MPG, looks like a little fighter jet without wings. Google on FlyTheRoad and you will see it. Or the Aptera, which had a cameo in the new Star Trek movie. I'm seriously considering a Ford Fusion Hybrid, as I am also sure that gas prices are going to skyrocket up again. But I'll be damned if I'll risk my neck in the modern version of a Yugo!  DeadAngryConfused Not saying that the Cooper Mini in the doctored photo is a modern Yugo, just your average ugly little spud of a wannabe car, IMHO Wink. But I really do fear that Obama's dweebs are creating a crackerboxmobile that is going to cost $50k, and be as restrictive as a coffin. Perhaps not right away, but very soon, no more than three years.

Until the Congress passes Enabling Acts, Obama had better remember that he cannot issue dictates.

To paraphrase Hillary Clinton: we have a right to debate and disagree with ANY administration!!!

Now, just to drag this back kicking and screaming to the original thread topic: BRING BACK ORIGINAL FORMULA COCA COLA WITH BEET OR CANE SUGAR, NOW!!!!!!!!!! SmileBig%20smileLOLCool

PS: Jimbo, your "Obama button" is too easy to push! Was there anything in my basic sentiment that was wrong? My reference to Obama The First was in response to all the fainting, gushing, and worshiping Obama-ites that we have all seen and heard. They are certainly out there. You know they are!DeadOuchShocked

TongueTongueTongue
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 5:13am

Because the US grows more corn then sugar, so to appease corn farmers they have an artificial tariff on sugar imports, so it makes corn sweetener an attractive substitute. f**k corn farmers, not everything needs corn just because we grow a lot of corn! Corn ethanol is not the wave of the future either.

Good points.They can all blow! There seems to be a great need in this country to make something that has sufficed since the beginning of time, pleases most people and is still affordable obsolete by replacing it with a lesser product. How many times do you go to the grocery store for a favorite item only to find it replaced by a "new and improved" version that is absolutely awful due to more chemicals and preservatives.

This story is a favorite. We have a local english pub that makes a killer shepherd's pie-ordered it for years. It is the quintessential, classic recipe. Two weeks ago we stopped by and I was salivating at the thought of the meal. The waiter brought it and it just looked different.They had replaced the cheddar cheese topping with mozzerella and instead of peas they used soybeans. It was pathetic. When I asked why, the waiter said "because it's healthier". Who the hell orders shepherd's pie because it's healthy?
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 9:50pm

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 3:22pm

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

That is certainly the size of car that Obama The First is trying to foist/force onto us, ignoring what we want, or need.

Nonsense. It is inconceivable to me how, after we just went through a year in which astronomical gas prices nearly destroyed what's left of our economy, there are people who are still bitching about the government imposing stricter mileage standards on the auto industry.

Guess what?..... The rest of us don't give a sh*t that a few dumbasses want to drive big gas guzzlers just because it makes them feel like their dicks are bigger than they really are.

Just because a car's gas mileage is improved doesn't mean that it has been turned into a cracker box.

Get over it, Obama haters.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 3:07pm
     Dealing with the 16 calories in a packet of sugar seems alot less thought provoking than trying to figure out which carcinogen in the artificial sweetener is going to be the one to do the nasty. As for corn syrup....one question; why?
PrinceJ View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrinceJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:48pm
Once I wrote a letter to Heinz corporate headquarters in Pittsburgh, simply asking if they made a ketchup without HFCS.  They sent me back a two page letter justifying the use of same, saying it was identical to cane sugar and posed no health risk.  In the last paragraph, they said "Oh yeah and by the way we do make such a product".
"Even an old fart was once a breath of fresh air"
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

in 30 years it will not surprise me if 80 % of Americans are like this

That is certainly the size of car that Obama The First is trying to foist/force onto us, ignoring what we want, or need.

IceFroggyFrog View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceFroggyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Grilld Cheese Samich Grilld Cheese Samich wrote:

Don't sweeten anything anymore. Harsh I know but think about it, eventually the next generations will grow up without it and never think twice because that is all they know. They'll be much more healthy for it. 
DIE HFCS!

Nah, they'll just hit on the idea of sweetening things themselves. Unless you're going to ban any kind of sweet food in a society, including fruit (which would be impossible anyway),  people are going to enjoy sweet tastes and want to use them in food and drink.

I use organic cane sugar, some agave syrup, and sometimes other natural sweetners. Won't touch the artificial stuff. I occasionally drink natural soda... tasty, but it will still rot your teeth!

I don't really know that much about HFCS vs. white sugar, but I say the less processed the better it probably is for you.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:50am
There are some studies that have shown that HFCS lacks key elements that allows the "sweet tooth" message in the brain to shut off when it is satisfied.
Whether this alone lends to overeating and high caloric intake seems a little unlikely but it just shows that better living through chemistry is not always so.

And like said a few times here cane/beet sugar just tastes better.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:43am
Originally posted by cornflake cornflake wrote:

I was kind of ambivalent about the whole "High fructose corn syrup" thing, but I know I don't like it in soda (drink diet if I drink any soda). But with these ads, it looks like they are indeed hiding something. Whenever I'm shopping for myself I will avoid it. 

It's just the corn lobby pushing back against a concerted attack. They aren't hiding anything.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

Not just America. Obesity is on the rise wherever affluence reigns. Even in China, a nation that suffered probably the worst famine in recorded history 50 years ago.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:39am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Hi Kat!  Good to see you!

I don't share your affection for HFCS, but it occurred to me that the only way you "know" soda, and many other super-sweet things, is the HFCS version.  That's probably been the norm, your whole life.

When they used to use real cane sugar, coca cola was better. 

If you can find some in the grocery store (supposedly the kosher version has "real" sugar) you may be able to taste the difference.

There's a definate difference in taste, especially in cola. Sugar-sweetened cola is much better. HFCS is a muted sweetness, sugar is a snappy sweetness. Other than that, HFCS is no worse or better than sugar. It's used because it's cheaper.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:35am
Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

I'm amazed that they're allowed to get away with these commercials.  Ugh!

Free speech.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:35am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Absolutely!  High fructose corn syrup is such a HUGE part of America's obesity problem (no pun intended).  This is the crap they put into the cereals instead of sugar.  I'd rather have plain old sugar!

HFCS is no worse than processed sugar, if you omit the concept of taste.

That's not propaganda, that's truth.
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 12:25am

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

I've been looking here on SoCal since I read about it here in CIH, but nobody knows about it or if it will ever get here.

I know a few folks in Ohio, but I ain't flying  there for a soda pop.

I'd be glad to ship you some, Pepsi/Mountain Dew throwback are sold everywhere, but only my town still makes COKE products with sugar. I'm awash in a sea of sucrose and I love it Wink
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 10:40am
I've been looking here on SoCal since I read about it here in CIH, but nobody knows about it or if it will ever get here.

I know a few folks in Ohio, but I ain't flying  there for a soda pop.

CaptainBeatty View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainBeatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 11:27pm
Pepsi ( at least here in central Ohio) Is marketing Pepsi throwback, and Mt. Dew throwback, both made with real cane sugar. I hope this is a start of things to come. The only thing corn syrup is good for is popcorn balls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic