Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$7.15????? Woo Hoo!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $7.15????? Woo Hoo!!!!
    Posted: 06 May 2015 at 2:31pm
So anyway, the junk mail had been piling up on my dining room table & late last night before going to bed, I got the urge to sort through it just in case there was anything of importance in there, then toss it in either the trash or the bin.

Good thing I did. I found two confirmations, one from Experion & the other from Trans Union (the dancing fatties commercial) regarding a fraud alert I had placed on my credit report. But this morning, while going thru the small stack I didn't get to last night, I found this small folded & glued card looking thing on a heavy stock paper, that I was about to just toss in with the rest of the recycling when I decided I better open it up & see what it was.

I'm guessing that, some months ago, I must have, though I don't recall doing so, gotten a notification in the mail, of a class action lawsuit against the makers of that gooey, heavenly delicious, chocolate & hazelnut concoction known as Nutella, then signed & returned something, which again, would be actions I have only the vaguest if any, recollection of today.

Turns out this card was a check for my share of the Nutella class action lawsuit, which came to $7.15!!!!

I thought at first that it was some kind mock check & that it would have "Non-negotiable" or "This is not a check" stamped somewhere on it, but in fact it did have the words "This is a check" right across the top.

And I almost chucked it!!!!

Woo hoo!!!!! I'm Donathan rich!!!!

So now, what to do with the money....?

I know I'm going to eat it in the form of fast food, but where?

I know..... maybe I'll buy a couple of big jars of Nutella!!!

Any other suggestions?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:01pm
I have some swamp land in Winnebago county for sale.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:03pm

Congrats, but too bad they didn't present it to you in person, a la Publishers Clearinghouse.

I've gotten a few such class action checks.  I think the biggest one was $35.

The smallest check I ever got was when payroll shorted me $1.  They actually cut me a check for it.  I tacked it to my wall.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:09pm
I got $30-something from the phone company once. Overcharging of some regulatory fee or some crap.

And once a friend told me he found my name on one of those unclaimed assets list websites. I checked & sure enough, it was $100.00 from the state insurance guarantee fund reimbursing me for money I had lost over 20 years earlier when my car insurance company went bankrupt a couple of months after I had renewed my policy.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:03am
Working as a Janitor in a Mall's Food Court I occasionally find money (Usually Coins) someone dropped on the floor. Since January I have put any money I find in a jar (To date I have found a little over $20.00). Come December I will cash in all the the coins and use the money to purchase an extra toy or two to donate to my church's annual toy drive. Thumbs Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:10am
That's cool, reg. Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:16am
With $7.15, you can buy a $1.69 pint of milk, a TV pasta dinner for $2.80, a $1.49 bag of chips, and a cheap store brand water for 89 cents at Winn Dixie and still have 28 cents left over.....
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:28am

$1.69 for a pint of milk??!  I pay $2.40 for a gallon!  Where are you shopping---Walgreens??

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:38am
At Walgreens, the milk is even cheaper than Winn Dixie. Walgreens pint of milk is $1.49. In Publix, their store brand of milk is even cheaper, $1.09.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 4:50am
Yeah, but if I'm gonna spend it on food, it's gonna be on burgers or pizza or something good.

That stuff you listed is..... well, let's just say I wouldn't spend found money on it.

If I spent it at the grocery store, I might buy some fancy ice cream bars.

Or a Publix NY style cheesecake.

Maybe one of those Publix deli subs.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:15am
Really?  Only a pint?  You can get a whole gallon on sale for $2.99.  Don't you check your own store's advertising circular?  You are in FL, right?

I once got a check in the mail for $10.  Tossed it (there was a lot of fine print on the back.)  A few weeks later, 2 slimey salesmen show up, asking why I hadn't cashed the check, and trying to hardsell me investments (wasn't gonna happen.)  Turns out the fine print on the check was basically a contract, and endorsing the check meant agreeing to whatever scam it was (they "conveniently" brought along an extra check in case I hadn't cashed the first one.)
So, watch out for Censored like that...
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:17am
That's a hand picked selection I thought of just for you, Jimbo. Lunch for you. With my penchant for gambling, if I found $7.15, it would be going into slot machines and Lottery tickets.....

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:38am

There was some guy in San Francisco maybe 15 years ago who got one of those big bogus non-negotiable checks (some sorta promotional thing) in the mail, and decided to deposit it.  It was about $95,000 as I recall.  He just wanted to see what would happen.  Well, the bank deposited it, and somehow, it cleared.  He kept telling the bank it was a mistake, but they insisted it wasn't.  The guy then said "f*ck it" and had it made into a cashier's check, which he put it into a safe deposit box while he pondered what to do with it.  I don't know what he ever did with it, but it became his money to do with as he pleased.

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:50am
Ouch. The guy was able to put a fake check for $95,000 n the bank as a joke, and it actually cleared? It's clear (No pun intended), that his bank was not on top of their A game for clearing a fake check.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:03am
A lot of times those scams involve you cashing the check, sending them most or all of the money, then after you find out the check bounced & you sent the scammers the money, you're on the hook to the bank.

If you're gonna do anything, you should deposit the money & leave it in the bank until after you find out if it cleared. If it clears (which it will not) you could send them their money & keep your cut.

If it bounces (which it will) they just deduct it back out of your account.

Of course you might also get stuck with some kind of bounced check fee. Not sure how that works when you're the depositor & not the writer of the check.

But you've gotta be careful about that kind of crap.

C'mon, man!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:18am
I know about the fake check scam, Jimbo, but I want to know how the hell that guy was able to deposit a $95,000 fake check as a joke and have it clear. He even told them it was a mistake (It shouldn't have cleared at all, as he just deposited it as a joke, and was supposedly a fake, promotional check), and they told him it was legit. It was a bad move on the bank's part toclear a fake check....

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:29am
Or maybe the guy was just pulling Thor's leg when he told him that story.

C'mon, man!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:47am
Mr. Tim, I know that MacArthur milk is on sale for $2.99 at Walgreens. I was just giving Jimbo friendly lunch advice.

About the $10.00 "Check," situation you encountered, that sh*t seems ff**king scary!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 2:13pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

A lot of times those scams involve you cashing the check, sending them most or all of the money, then after you find out the check bounced & you sent the scammers the money, you're on the hook to the bank.

No, it wasn't one of those.  This was a sort of promo offer of some sort---kind of an example of the sort of checks you might receive if you enroll in their services.  It was marked non-negotiable.  I used to get those in the mail, too.

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Or maybe the guy was just pulling Thor's leg when he told him that story.

Nope.  It was on the news.

Here's the story, from a NY Times article and an SF Chronicle article.  It's a little different from what I remember in that, after 3 weeks and after the guy transferred the $95 grand into a money order, the bank did demand the money back.  But the guy refused because they were rude and threatening about the matter, accusing him of fraud.  6 months after the initial deposit, the bank eventually "settled" with the guy.  The article doesn't say the terms of the settlement---cash or just an agreement not to prosecute him for fraud.  It was a 6-page agreement, though.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 2:41pm
"Settlement" = He agreed to give them the money back & they agreed not to sue him.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 2:55pm
Yes, but I'll bet he could've gotten them to give him some bucks in exchange for keeping his mouth shut from there on out.

From a really long article the guy had written detailing his experiences from beginning to end...

Our settlement was done. I had just signed and executed a five page agreement that won me (1) the bank admitting to mistakes (2) letters of apology sent by the bank to those who received bounced checks because of all this (3) proof that my credit rating was undamaged (4) complete dismissal of all charges and damage claims, and 5) the right to continue speaking and writing about the experience.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic