Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finish yer damn food, DAMMIT!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finish yer damn food, DAMMIT!!!!
    Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:35pm
One thing that's always pissed me off is how people on TV shows NEVER finish what they start eating.

I don't care what show it is or how old the show is, anytime the characters sit down to eat something interrupts them & instead of taking it with them they get up & leave it there with like one bite taken out of it.

Who the hell do these people think they are wasting food like that??????

Everytime it happens I start yelling at the TV set.

"FINISH YOUR DAMN FOOD, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Just more evidence that these Hollywood types get paid too much.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:38pm
Jimbo,

Are you old enough to remember the Cleaver family?  Beaver and Wally never finished their milk.  That was one thing I always finished.  Drove me nuts.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 11:37pm
My beloved mother always used to tell me, "...finish your food! Think of all the poor, starving children in China!"...'Guilt Trips' suck - especially when, very many times, half of our dinner consisted of something that could be claimed to be a 'true science project'...

"...it hasn't gone bad until it can leave the plate on its own!"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Jimbo,
Are you old enough to remember the Cleaver family?  Beaver and Wally never finished their milk.  That was one thing I always finished.  Drove me nuts.

I remember Leave It To Beaver, but I never really watched it.

I don't think any kid on any TV show ever finished their milk.

Or their pancakes.

Or their peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

Nothing.

Never finished.

Wasteful bastards.

No wonder we're such a wasteful society.

We had it programmed into our brains by Leave It To Beaver.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:36am

"Ward, tell the Beaver to eat his dinner or I'll cut you off!"

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:59am
I remember those classic John Wayne cowboy flicks. Someone would order a beer or whiskey, drink one swig and leave the rest.......waste of good beer.Tongue
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I remember those classic John Wayne cowboy flicks. Someone would order a beer or whiskey, drink one swig and leave the rest.......waste of good beer.Tongue
Were not those the ones who almost always had very short parts in the movies?
Didn't they get shot for leaving a shot, although it wasn't generally portrayed that way?
They deserved what they got, dammit!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 1:57am
Or they get a cigar put in their drink......Wink

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 6:24am
What thrilling TV GUIDE listings that would have made!
HAPPY DAYS-Comedy
"Richie, Potsie and Ralph spend the entire episode eating every bite of their hamburgers and not spilling a drop of their milkshakes."

BEWITCHED-Comedy
"Endora waits until Larry and Darrin have finished their scotch on the rocks before turning them into chickens."
BONANZA-Western
"Hop Sing's spicy chicken, and a spell in the outhouse, detain Hoss while Ben and Little Joe are captured by a marauding band of half-breed Indian encyclopedia salesmen."

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 4:38pm
Ha the Happy Days thing, as a kid that was the one I noticed the most.
They'd order Arnold's food and leave it.

What I hate is on tv and movies when they are at restaurants and something dramatic occurs or they fight or get distracted and they leave.
Or they don't eat it like they just "lost their appetite"
sorry, I don't care how mad you are. Eat your damned chicken.

I consider that up there with people who leave cabins/campsites/vacations on a whim.
Unless someone is dead or dying, I am staying.

I saw a show where this couple planned this awesome getaway and after struggles they got there and in the end they realized they missed home or some stupid bullsh*t like that.
So they left.
Whatever.

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 4:57pm
TV food is DISGUSTING.
It is nearly always cold and old. It sits on the plate for hours, take after take after take.
Sometimes it's plastic!
No actor would ever want to to put it in their mouth!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 5:21pm
Yeah I was figuring the stuff they are "eating" isn't real.
Or it is all gross.
But still they need to convey some way to stop the unrealistic portrayal of restaurant visits or meals at home.
At the same time, how weird it'd be to have dialogue where someone is chewing and waiting to speak (though I recall a MAD Tv that had a skit where people were doing that)

Shows like Gilmore Girls, or any of the LA Law shows could never make it if people had to pause for a bite.
They don't even allow for an "uh" or an "er" in their speeches.
Part of what drives me nuts about that.
Only a few can do that.
 "Deadwood" did it but in a near Shakespearean delivery.
Otherwise it just sounds false.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 11:42pm
Yeah, nobody on TV ever has to say 'uh', or 'you know' 18000 times in a conversation...or go to the bathroom...or act like this if they're high:

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 12:44am
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

HAPPY DAYS-Comedy
"Richie, Potsie and Ralph spend the entire episode eating every bite of their hamburgers and not spilling a drop of their milkshakes."

BEWITCHED-Comedy
"Endora waits until Larry and Darrin have finished their scotch on the rocks before turning them into chickens."
BONANZA-Western
"Hop Sing's spicy chicken, and a spell in the outhouse, detain Hoss while Ben and Little Joe are captured by a marauding band of half-breed Indian encyclopedia salesmen."

EMERGERNCY!-Drama
"Gage and DeSoto decide their food is too damn good to get up and rescue some kid who shot his eye out with a BB gun" 
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 5:23pm
And, of course:
ADAM-12-Crime Drama
"Off-duty, Reed and Molloy race against time to finish their coffee before tangling with an armed robber in their favorite diner." Mel: Vic Tayback.Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Yeah, that too!!!!

Mostly with beer, though. Shots of whiskey would always get downed in one gulp, but the mug of beer always gets left on the bar about 2/3 full.

Even Norm on Cheers, the biggest beer hound in the history of TV used to get up leave half a beer sitting there.

You never saw me doing that back in my drinking days.

No siree.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

I consider that up there with people who leave cabins/campsites/vacations on a whim.
Unless someone is dead or dying, I am staying.

I saw a show where this couple planned this awesome getaway and after struggles they got there and in the end they realized they missed home or some stupid bullsh*t like that.
So they left.
Whatever.

Wasn't that an episode of Frasier?

He & Lilith got a cabin & when they got there it was snowing like crazy outside & then they started jonesing for some fancy restaurant or something, so they got back in the car & hauled ass outta there without even unpacking.

I thought that was annoying & stupid too.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

TV food is DISGUSTING.
It is nearly always cold and old. It sits on the plate for hours, take after take after take.
Sometimes it's plastic!

Oh come on, Nathan.

We all know most actors have probably put much worse things in their mouths. Wink

That's probably how most of them got their first big parts. LOL 

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

HAPPY DAYS-Comedy

BEWITCHED-Comedy
BONANZA-Western

EMERGERNCY!-Drama
"Gage and DeSoto decide their food is too damn good to get up and rescue some kid who shot his eye out with a BB gun" 

Well yeah, but in TV production they can make the story happen any way they want it to. All they have to do is write the screenplay so that they're already finished eating when the emergency call comes in.

They could start the scene with them sitting down to a big meal then cut to the next scene where they're all finished sitting around the table having coffee, picking their teeth & cutting farts when suddenly.........EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

TV food is DISGUSTING.
Sometimes it's plastic!
I think I'm ready for a Swanson's (?) 'Hungry Man T.V. Dinner', after all of that.
Uncooked.Dead

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 9:09pm
Wonder how many takes/hotdogs this scene took? Pretty good shootin', with half a hotdog in his mouth.Wink
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 9:54pm
...uh, no Tiz - how many hotdigs did THIS get? At least he TRIED to finish his food....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic