Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I hate them all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote freddo30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hate them all
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 11:04pm
It has come to that. I now hate all forms of advertising. I think I always did, but now the constant barrage from every possible orifice is just too much to bear. TV, radio, print, computer, cell phone spam etc. all saturated.

Advertising has NEVER sold me ANYTHING that I did not already consider or reject but has caused me to shun products whose commercials were lousy (Honey Bunches - Uh - Oats , Dodge Nitro) that I might have purchased had it not been for the ads. And SLOGANS - oh no Mr. Bill don't get me started - the bane of civilization the d**n slogans !
Sponsored Links

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:55am
Exactly the same here.  I am not susceptible to advertising, at least not in a way that's positive for the adholes.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:07am
I have had ads inform me of products that I hadn't known about, which I then tried & became a regular purchaser of.

Advertising fulfills a worthwhile function, it's just too bad they do it in such a douchebaggy fashion so often.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:15am

I'm ashamed to say, I did end up using Empire Carpets recently, based on the commercials.  Not that I like their commercials, but they immediately came to mind when I wanted to carpet my upstairs.  They did a pretty good job, and pretty cheap.  4 rooms and a hallway---approx 750 square feet---for $1,400.  Took about 4 hours, and that included moving furniture.

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:25am
My list of products that I won't use because of advertising campaigns is quite long.  At the top of the list are advertisers like Geico, Liberty Mutual, Discovercard, McDonalds, and Buick.  I would be neutral about their products, if it were not for their inane advertising campaigns.

Products that I use IN SPITE of commercials - things like Dairy Queen Blizzards.  I've loved them for a long time.  If I hadn't had one, then the latest commercial with the spoon duel would be enough to make me never try one.

I find all advertising directed at millennials to be particularly annoying and grating.  Of course I'm not a millennial, and I might feel different if I were.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:44am
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

My list of products that I won't use because of advertising campaigns is quite long.  At the top of the list are advertisers like Geico, Liberty Mutual, Discovercard, McDonalds, and Buick.  I would be neutral about their products, if it were not for their inane advertising campaigns.

Products that I use IN SPITE of commercials - things like Dairy Queen Blizzards.  I've loved them for a long time.  If I hadn't had one, then the latest commercial with the spoon duel would be enough to make me never try one.

I find all advertising directed at millennials to be particularly annoying and grating.  Of course I'm not a millennial, and I might feel different if I were.

I like Discover Card. I quit using my debit card about 2 years ago because of all the hacking incidents & started buying everything on my DC.

I've accumulated a pretty decent little amount in cash back bonuses, & once when I had to dispute a charge, they backed me all the way.

Great customer service!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:59am
I agree with Jimbo in that I've discovered new products because of advertising, but I gave up my Discover card for the Visa from my credit union... better perks.

I also agree with usmaak in that I've boycotted a large number of companies simply because their advertising got on my nerves.

Commercials have their place and role, but for all that's "wait, there's more", please adtards, please... hire some people with imagination.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I like Discover Card. I quit using my debit card about 2 years ago because of all the hacking incidents & started buying everything on my DC.

I've accumulated a pretty decent little amount in cash back bonuses, & once when I had to dispute a charge, they backed me all the way.

Great customer service!!!

If I had a signature on this forum, this could be it!

Discover Card was good for me until they dropped the Humane Society of the United States partnership and are not donating a percentage of their profits to the HSUS anymore.  I dropped Discover and got an Amex with another good deal.

I've never used a debit card.  Too risky.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

I agree with Jimbo in that I've discovered new products because of advertising, but I gave up my Discover card for the Visa from my credit union... better perks.

I also agree with usmaak in that I've boycotted a large number of companies simply because their advertising got on my nerves.

Commercials have their place and role, but for all that's "wait, there's more", please adtards, please... hire some people with imagination.

I have a couple of other cards I use for different things. The one perk I really like is automatic rental car insurance. Though I haven't rented a car in ages, it's a really nice perk to be able to tell the rental car agencies no thanks on that extra $10 a day charge. Don't know if Discover offers that or not.

But Discover is great for things like gas, groceries & restaurants because they give you those cash back bonuses which add up.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:34am
Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

If I had a signature on this forum, this could be it!

Discover Card was good for me until they dropped the Humane Society of the United States partnership and are not donating a percentage of their profits to the HSUS anymore.  I dropped Discover and got an Amex with another good deal.

I've never used a debit card.  Too risky.

So, you're one of those "activist consumers" eh? Wink

I used to use my debit card for everything but after the hacking stories started popping up, I soon quit. Didn't like the idea of having to pay a credit card bill every month, but I got used to it quickly & now wouldn't do it the other way again even if the hacking ended completely.

So simple. I get an email statement every month. I go to the website, set up the payment a month out & forget about it.

C'mon, man!
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:44am
^ I'm an animal advocate activist.  Smile

You can also get buyer protection and extended warranties with some credit cards.  If you read the boring fine print booklet they send you with your card, there's a lot of stuff that you can benefit from if you need it -- like your rental insurance!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:50am
Yeah, I've used the extended warranties before.

Not in the sense that I ever "used" used them, but bought things based on the extended warranty.

I have used the rental car insurance, though.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:17am

Products that I don't use in spite of the fact that I like the commercials---beer and liquor.  There've been a number of beer and liquor commercials I've liked a lot over the past few years.  But I don't drink, so they're not gonna work on me.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 5:13am
Ads that are raising my normally low blood pressure lately are the ones on websites. The site loads OK but when I open a page I can't do anything until all the precious ads finish loading. GRRRR!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Ads that are raising my normally low blood pressure lately are the ones on websites. The site loads OK but when I open a page I can't do anything until all the precious ads finish loading. GRRRR!

Yeah.  I'm not even gonna look at them, but I have to let them load.  On certain sites, it takes forever.  Luckily, that doesn't happen here.

sasha206 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasha206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:27pm
Well, I have the graveyard of cosmetics so it clearly works for me.  However, Marie Osmond makes me want to gorge myself.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by sasha206 sasha206 wrote:

Well, I have the graveyard of cosmetics so it clearly works for me.  However, Marie Osmond makes me want to gorge myself.

I think she makes most people want to gouge themselves.

C'mon, man!
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:33pm
This will sound curmudgeony (which i get accused of LOTS)but it sure seems liike in the 60s & 70s ads TRIED to out cleveer each other a lot omore and stooping to awful was frowned upon--at least ore than NOW

when Toootsie roll shows the Mr. Owl ad from about 40 years ago as the ULTIMATE ad they could ever do for their product NOW..you know that the last forty years for ads SUCKED and industry gave up a while ago

U go FLO
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 2:35pm
The only time I could remember a commercial getting me to try a product was Wendy's North Pacific Cod sandwich. The pictures of the food made me hungry. I HAD to try it out! Other than that? Nope! Most commercials are stupid and annoying, hence my name!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:14pm
I can't stand website ads that automatically play audio or video. It's especially bothersome when you have a few tabs open and these just start in the background forcing you to go through each tab trying to find it. Sites that do that usually get a goodbye click from me.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:28pm

Yeah, I get that, especially on news sites.  Having to scroll up or down to see which of the numerous videos is playing sucks.  Still, it's disturbing when all's quiet and then, suddenly, sound happens.

If Google Chrome is your browser, though, there'll be a little icon of a speaker that suddenly shows in the offending tab when it detects sound.  You can then close that tab.

My new keyboard has a button that will turn sound on or off, or let you adjust the volume.

i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:46pm
I used to use Chrome but it has issues with playback of flash videos on Android and Linux due to Adobe refusing to support either OS. I use Firefox on my laptop and UC Browser on the tablet. Flash works on these. Neither has the little speaker icon. That's definitely handy. What gets me about these ads is that we shouldn't have to turn down the volume or hunt down the offender in the first place. Companies and websites that use these forceful tactics won't get business from me if it can be helped. Even CIH has a couple that autoplay when I forget to turn on adblock, which I would leave off to help support this site if it weren't for these obnoxious ads. Isn't that kind of ironic, a commercial hating website with commercials that I hate.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:52pm

I sometimes get stuttering when I play videos using Google, mainly Youtube videos.  Yeah, it seems to be a Flash problem.  Not so with IE.

Nathan discussed having to put ads on CIH with us some years back.  Prior to that point, there were none.  He really had no choice.  He promised to keep them as unobtrusive as possible.  

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:55pm
I've never had an ad autoplay on this forum.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:57pm

The only ads I've had that happen with are the ones that activate just by scrolling over them.  That happened here the other day, as a matter of fact.  It might've been the first time.  Not sure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic