Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applebee's Bar & Grill?? (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applebee's Bar & Grill?? (video)
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 7:38pm
Applebee's continues to annoy me, this big and not so famous chain, wants to compete with the everyday drinkers hangout.
Throw in some hippy music, nice food and bubbly beverages.
Screw you Applebees, you will probably lose some customers on their young and naive drive home.

Sponsored Links

verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:58am
I didn't know the bar & grill was missingErmm
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:42am
Apparently some of their wages are missing too:

This is a direct cut-and-paste from Wikipedia:

Controversies
Side-work compensation

Since 2006, Applebee's and its servers have been engaged in a lawsuit over hourly wages. The servers, who received a federal minimum wage of $2.13 per hour as tipped employees, allege that the company requires them to spend 20% of their time doing non-serving labor for which they should be paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. The case has gone through several stages, including a judicially mandated binding arbitration session.

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 5:51am
I worked my way through college twice, by waiting on tables.  Side work is always part of the job.  Side work IS server labor.  It's the stuff that makes the job easier for the next waitstaff that come one.  And of course someone filled all those sugars and salt and pepper shakers and rolled all of that silverware for you, before you came on.  I haven't waited tables in a very long time.  I guess things have changed.

In the area that I used to live, we used to have a ton of Applebees.  Most of them have closed in the last five years or so.  Seems like another company that's trying to reinvent itself, lest they go under for good.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:10am
^ I guess the plaintiffs want that 20% of side work to be compensated so that 20% of their wages is paid up to the federal min. wage, not getting stuck with 20% of their paycheck being the restaurant wage only.  They are supposed to make up the restaurant hourly wage with their tips, but they can't get tips if they're not serving customers.  I guess that's the rationale behind it.
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:32am
Yea.  Thing is, whenever I had to do side work, I was still waiting tables.  Just taking care of other stuff when I was in between tables.  I guess each restaurant is different.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the Applebees folks win this.  If they do, then it sets up waitstaff at other restaurants to do the exact same thing.
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 7:54am
About tips, I always tip, whether or not, I thoroughly enjoyed the food. I know that Waiters and Waitresses need the tip money, so I have never stiffed them the tip....
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

About tips, I always tip, whether or not, I thoroughly enjoyed the food. I know that Waiters and Waitresses need the tip money, so I have never stiffed them the tip....

I tip based on service. If the food sucks, that's not the waitstaff's fault (unless the food is cold because the server didn't pick it up). So the server doesn't get punished.

But leave me sitting with an empty coffee cup or water glass for half an hour when the restaurant is less than half full? You're going to get stiffed. AND I'll complain to the management.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by madwoman madwoman wrote:

I tip based on service. If the food sucks, that's not the waitstaff's fault (unless the food is cold because the server didn't pick it up). So the server doesn't get punished.

But leave me sitting with an empty coffee cup or water glass for half an hour when the restaurant is less than half full? You're going to get stiffed. AND I'll complain to the management.
Good for you!  I agree.  I often wondered where the server was when they do the disappearing act.  So, they're "side working"?  I don't care.  Not acceptable to me.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:33pm
I miss the old Applebee's logo it was more authentic than this modern stuff.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applebees#/media/File:Applebees_logo

Goddamit the image ain't showing up #$%& it! Look for it yourself!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

Originally posted by madwoman madwoman wrote:

Good for you!  I agree.  I often wondered where the server was when they do the disappearing act.  So, they're "side working"?  I don't care.  Not acceptable to me.

On the other hand, I hate when they're too on top of things and keep butting in.  "Is everything OK here??".  Yes it is, now leave me alone!!

I know people who always have issues and needs and questions in restaurants, but I never do.  If I do, I'll seek the waitertress out.  But that's rare.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:53pm
The thing I hate about the "is everything okay here" moments, is that...for some reason...they ALWAYS seem to come over and ask when you've got way more food in your mouth than you should, or you're in the middle of a conversation that becomes awkward...or when you just about to bring something up and they break your focus so you forget...
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 12:11am
I did that job for years.  Unfortunately, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.  Some are high maintenance, some low maintenance, and some no maintenance.  You know that you're good at your job when you can sense it and know who needs the attention.
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:57am
Yeah, I was about to mention how annoying a Waitress or Waiter asking, "How is everything going?" Constantly is. They should only ask once or twice, because, sometimes the food just doesn't taste all that good, and you are too shy to say anything, but, since they asked, the food does taste kind of stale.... You tell them, and they give you a fresh, madeover meal, which tastes miles better. They then ask once again how everything is going, and you tell them the food is much better now. Oh, and by the way, this "didn't" happen to me....
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic