Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

If one doesn't move much, moving can be very unsettling.

Once you have 'checked in' and the cats are back with you, all will be fine.
Take from one who has moved every few years all his life.

Thanks, Pa.  I've moved a few times before, but not with all these logistics to deal with.  When I lived in SF, I'd just rent or borrow a truck and have friends help me move the mile or so.  Of course, I'd return the favor.

Sponsored Links

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 1:44pm
Thor, you're just being a responsible, caring, loving cat Parent. I saw a PSA poster about abandoned cats. The cat lived happily with his cat Parent, until the cat Parent got an offer to move to another far away place. He moved out, and left the cat behind. The cat was seen in a shelter, looking forlorn.... It was called,"It's Not Cat's Fault," That PSA poster made me upset, and I don't even own any pets.... I admire that you're not leaving your cats behind as you move cross country....
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 2:07pm

^  Leaving my cats behind was out of the question.  They're my buddies, 2 of them for 13 years.  It was tough enough leaving them at the vet's for the weekend.  Then I have to bring them back here on Monday, only to "abandon" them again when I ship them off.  They don't know what's going on.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 3:52pm
They probably care less about the whole thing than you do.

They'll be happily eating & sleeping for the three days they're at the vet, then during the flight, they'll be so tranquilized they won't give a crap where they are.

Relax.

The thing you should be concerned about is them not getting lost by the airline & not accidentally getting out of the house after they arrive at your brother's house.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 5:31pm

Yeah, I'm probably more worried than I need to be.

But as it turns out, there will be no sedation.  It's not allowed, and it's not recommended, anyway.  In fact, my vet said that some cats will have the opposite reaction to sedation.

My bro's going to immediately seclude them off into a section of the basement.  It's a finished basement, so it's not all damp and musty.  After they get used to that environment, I'll let them out to explore the rest of the house.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

...My bro's going to immediately seclude them off into a section of the basement.  It's a finished basement, so it's not all damp and musty.  After they get used to that environment, I'll let them out to explore the rest of the house.
How old is your bro's place? Have you checked into the history of the place, asked to see if it is 'haunted'? Cats go nutso when spooked by spooks, doncha know.
Ask your brother if anyone was ever murdered in his house, or if he's even looked into that matter.Wink
~~~
Your cats will be FINE and, as much as any cat can be, will be overjoyed to see you when you show up. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 6:46pm

My bro's house is your basic 1960's East Coast ranch house.  Ghosts wouldn't be interested in such a place.  There's not even a decent attic or a secret room or trap door.

I hope my cats will be glad to see me.  They'll more likely be pissed off at me.  LOL

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 8:40pm
Do they know how to use a litter box?
If I recall, they were free range cats and went outside to do their busyness.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:22am

Cats kind of automatically know how to use a litter box.  They used one when I first got them for about a year.  Then they began using the outdoors.  I think they'll figure it out again.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:46am
^It's true.

When I first got clara, we had her do poops and peeps outside, but there was too much snow and cold, so I relented and went the litter box route. She mewed to out a few times, but after plopping her in the litter box once or twice she picked it up.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Cats kind of automatically know how to use a litter box.  They used one when I first got them for about a year.  Then they began using the outdoors.  I think they'll figure it out again.

That is SO true - before we had first kid, we had cats.
Wolves have no business attempting to live with cats, but the cats were clean and did use the littler box and did seem to just know why it existed the moment they saw it. In fact, I was so impressed with them and also the 'cheap-to-keep costs' when it came to 'kitty toiletry' that I decided to try the litter box technique with the first few kids - didn't work. They'd crap on the floor, in the tub, puke at the table, pee in the sink. I was convinced they were defective and let them know it - they both hate me to this day because they know I was right.
Female cats are smarter than female humans or wolves.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 7:24pm
We know you will be signing off soon, I hope things go well and you get online to tell us about the trip.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 8:44pm
As easy as I've heard that it is to train cats to do this, I don't know why more cat owners, myself included, don't do it.

Check out any or all of the videos in this YouTube search result:

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=cats%20use%20toilet&sm=1

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 8:50pm

^  Thanks, aka!

Tomorrow will be my last day here for awhile.  The PODS ships Tuesday, so I'll need to have it packed before they get here.  Depending how busy I am, maybe I'll check in in a week or so.

Still waiting to hear from the car shipper.  I have it all set up and the contract signed, but I won't know that it's all ready until they have a trucker.  At that point, I pay my deposit.  This is worrying me.  This is cutting it too close.  It's supposed to go on Tuesday.  

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 12:08am
Good luck thor and wrlcome back to the east coast.

Lucky leos awaits!

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 1:20am
Thor, we will miss you. Bon Voyage to the East Coast, and good stay at the East Coast!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 1:26am
We put Little Bit up in the garage the last couple winters any time the low was below 20, and put a litter box out there for her. We don't know where she came from... if she was an indoor cat, a born-outdoors stray or what, but as soon as she saw the box, in she went. The Breakfast Brothers are the same way. As soon as there's fresh litter... gotta mark it.

Anyway, safe trip to you and yours.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 4:55am

Thanks, everyone!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 5:18am

Safe travels...we look forward to hearing from you again, once you're ready.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:49pm

The move went well. Several months of hell, but it all worked out. I wasn't sure my car was actually gonna get shipped until the day before my flight. It was picked up by the transporter that night. Supposedly, it'll be here in a few days.

Most importantly, my furry little fellas are doing better each day. Mickey, my scaredy-cat, didn't even move when my bro emerged from his room this morning. Normally, he'd have tore-ass and hid somewhere. Today, he just had my bro step over him.

Weather here is actually cold today. It's only in the 60s. On the other hand, my former town in CA will be experiencing temps from 102-108 next week.

I'll be posting from my bro's computer for awhile. It'll be when I can.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:54pm
RCA 7" Android tablet for $40 at Walmart will have you posting whenever you want in no time flat.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:58pm

It's not about getting time on his computer. It's about us needing to do other things---like look for a new house.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 4:24am

"After adjusting to the move, things quickly got back to normal for Thor's cat ..."

LOL
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 4:46pm
Hi. Thor! Welcome to The East Coast! Runs to Publix and buys Thor a big delicious Publix sheet cake that reads, "Welcome To The East Coast, Thor!" And a half gallon of delicious Publix ice cream! Books an airplane ticket, and catches a cab to Thor's brother's house!

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 5:11pm
Congratulations Thor! Welcome to the East Coast!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic