Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hal Linden for the 1979 Chrysler Newport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hal Linden for the 1979 Chrysler Newport
    Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 9:57am

Hal Linden, then star of ABC's Barney Miller, was in a commercial for the 1979 Chrysler Newport. 
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:41pm
Soooo.... what about it?

Did you like it? Dislike it? Find something interesting or unusual about it?

Personally I'd have liked it better if Dietrich had walked up to him & made some wry deadpan comment. Or maybe if Levitt had appeared being an obsequious toady.

Or any of the other members of the Barney Miller cast.

Ugly damned car, though.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:46pm
The wrath of Cordoba....Big smile

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:48pm
The Cordoba ads were the epitome of the cheesy 70's commercial.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Ahhhh, but they came with all that rich Corinthian pleather.

bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Soooo.... what about it?

That's a great question, and I should have elaborated to begin with. I guess that it's because Hal Linden, IAT being one of the greatest performers I've ever seen, is promoting a car from when cars were still, IIRC, built to last, and not the cookie-cutter plastic junkers made today. 
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:24pm

"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by bmasters9 bmasters9 wrote:

Soooo.... what about it?

That's a great question, and I should have elaborated to begin with. I guess that it's because Hal Linden, IAT being one of the greatest performers I've ever seen, is promoting a car from when cars were still, IIRC, built to last, and not the cookie-cutter plastic junkers made today. 

I think the late 70s were known for just the opposite.  Everything was being put into emissions control, America hadn't yet learned from the rise in popularity of Japanese cars, and cars were being "designed by committee".  I think that continued through the mid-80s.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 4:00pm

Soooo.... what about it?

Most of todays vehicles with scheduled maintenance performed will exceed 200,000 miles. Vehicles of the 1970s usually lasted for their 12 month/12,000 mile warranty but rarely saw 100,000 miles.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

LOLLOL
Da Starship!
Da Starship!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Most of todays vehicles with scheduled maintenance performed will exceed 200,000 miles. Vehicles of the 1970s usually lasted for their 12 month/12,000 mile warranty but rarely saw 100,000 miles

Given how frickin much these new cars cost nowadays, they ought to last 300,000 miles or MORE!!!!

Those 70's cars may have only been good for 100,000 miles, but you could get one for less than $5,000.

Or there abouts.

C'mon, man!
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Soooo.... what about it?

Most of todays vehicles with scheduled maintenance performed will exceed 200,000 miles. Vehicles of the 1970s usually lasted for their 12 month/12,000 mile warranty but rarely saw 100,000 miles.

I stand corrected! 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 5:43pm
^ Nobody is correcting you, people are having fun with the topic, you did good. Thumbs Up
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 6:46pm
Why can't I load the link on either of these videos???
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Why can't I load the link on either of these videos???
Because you haven't made a wish, blown out your candles, and ate a piece of your birthday cake yet!  Big smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:24pm
I got some kind of weird Google Play message the first time I tried to watch the first one. Said I needed to install it because it wasn't on my device & my device is a Google Nexus. It finally played after a couple of tries, though.

C'mon, man!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:38pm
They played for me. Enjoyed the Cordoba link, I actually liked those. Big floaty rides like that don't exist any more, and I miss em.

Cry
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 1:30pm

^ Nobody is correcting you, people are having fun with the topic, you did good. Thumbs Up

I appreciate that!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

They played for me. Enjoyed the Cordoba link, I actually liked those. Big floaty rides like that don't exist any more, and I miss em.

Cry

Huge.  Probably came standard with whitewall tires and an AM/FM radio, too!

This guy I knew in the early 70s had a 1959 Chrysler Imperial that was so big, it came with radio controls (to change volume and station) at your feet.  I guess to reach all the way over to the center of the dashboard would've been a driving hazard.  LOL

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:26pm
 Remenber when the bright light switch was on the floor?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:33pm
I long for those days.

The feel of that little round, metal button under your foot & the audible click it made when you stepped on it.

So dependable.

You always knew it was there & that it would do it's job when you needed it to.

Not like this plastic, steering column mounted crap.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 3:15pm
Yeah, could they cram another function or two into a fking turn signal?

And steering wheels too, I still get confused when I drive the wifes truck.

If I hit the wrong button in my truck, the freaking On Star lady starts talking to me.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 3:32pm

Nowadays, you need a tutorial when you get a new car.  

Reminds me...A long time ago, I rented a Pontiac.  I was on a busy highway when I suddenly got caught in a torrential East Coast-style rainstorm.  I couldn't figure out how to turn on the wipers, and it really wasn't the right time to study the matter.  Plus, I was following someone and couldn't pull off to the side of the road.  Finally was able to figure out the windshield washer mechanism, and for the next 5 minutes, held that bar in so that the wiper would work in conjunction with the spray.  I probably returned that car with no windshield washer fluid left.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic