Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Went to Walmart...

I didn't!  Big smile

Took the day off today.  Second day off I've taken in a year and a half.  F*ck it.  Not gonna risk me or my car for that place.  Last snowstorm, 15 of us showed up, and we didn't get a word of thanks from the store manager.  She just acted like a drill sergeant, yelling at everyone "Do this!  Do that!".

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Went to Walmart...

I didn't!  Big smile

Took the day off today.  Second day off I've taken in a year and a half.  F*ck it.  Not gonna risk me or my car for that place.  Last snowstorm, 15 of us showed up, and we didn't get a word of thanks from the store manager.  She just acted like a drill sergeant, yelling at everyone "Do this!  Do that!".

How much longer you planning on staying there?

No other places around there you might find a better job?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 5:49pm

Went to Walmart...

I didn't!  Big smile

LOL
I don't blame you...you can only do so much with a 2 wheel drive automobile.

F*ck them!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:06pm
From the way Thor describes the place, I would've left there months ago.

Gotta be a better place to work around there.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:19pm
Thor, you deserve so much better!  Don't work there anymore!  I thought you were unemployed/retired in CA.  Why get a job in NJ?  Well, perhaps you already shared that info with CIH but I missed it.  I missed you!  That's why I came back here to post!

Heart
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:26pm
^LOL

Thor, is a cool old dude.

We are all glad that you are back, DRS.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:30pm

^LOL

Thor, is a cool old dude.

We are all glad that you are back, DRS.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  aka ron, I missed you too!  Give Leah a hug from me!  Heart
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm
Actually, I kinda like working there.  Oddly, as sh*tty an employer as Walmart is, I get some kinda satisfaction out of being "in charge" of a department and running the show (as small a show as it may be).

Also, it covers my expenses, it now pays my health insurance, it's close, it's something to do in the land of awful weather, and I like a lot of the people I work with.

The time flies there.  I took today off and, other than shoveling the snow a few times, I was bored as hell.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Thor, you deserve so much better!  Don't work there anymore!  I thought you were unemployed/retired in CA.  Why get a job in NJ?  Well, perhaps you already shared that info with CIH but I missed it.  I missed you!  That's why I came back here to post!

Heart

Yeah, I was.  Moved back here to be with bro, who'd just gotten divorced.  Two can live as cheaply as one, so they say.  I thought I'd re-adapt to the East coast, but it's not that easy.  It's a very "indoors" sorta lifestyle here.

And welcome back, DRS!!  It's good to have an "old face" back in the mix!

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:52pm

Heart

Yeah, I was.  Moved back here to be with bro, who'd just gotten divorced.  Two can live as cheaply as one, so they say.  I thought I'd re-adapt to the East coast, but it's not that easy.  It's a very "indoors" sorta lifestyle here.

Thank you!  I've never lived on the East Coast, having been in So Cal all my life.  I can imagine it would be hard to adjust after being spoiled by the great weather in CA (most of the time!).  How are the kitties taking it?  Smile
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 10:06pm

Heart

Thank you!  I've never lived on the East Coast, having been in So Cal all my life.  I can imagine it would be hard to adjust after being spoiled by the great weather in CA (most of the time!).  How are the kitties taking it?  Smile

The kitties are doing fine.  Mick and Mal are 15 this month.  Mal's getting a tad rickety (but more affectionate than ever), while Mick looks and acts like he always did---a big fluffy scaredy cat who hides from everyone except me.  I've gotten used to the idea that he'll never change, and that he will have gone his entire life with no one but me ever having known what a lover he truly is.

Rocco's 5.  He used to be lean.  He's gotten a bit fat.  Still, cuter than ever.  On occasion, he's sweet, too.

They, too, had to adjust to life here.  They don't go outside anymore.  There's bears here.  Plus, the older guys are just too old to go on off-property adventures, IMO.  But they don't seem to mind.  When I've brought them outdoors, they just want to go back inside.  I brought Mickey out into the snow for the first time in his life today.  He wasn't crazy about it.  LOL

How's by you?

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 4:02am
I went to W-M recently to buy cheese & also checked for rye flour,  They didn't have it, but did have graham flour, of all things (been looking for that for a while.)  Tried to make graham crackers (they're coming out more like thin cookies, so need more experimentation.)  The stuff's actually pretty good... Smile
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:54pm
My lovely wife won the bonehead move of the day last night, she has been having some trouble sleeping so I could not get very upset.  It's about midnight and I hear the old dog yapping at the garage door.

Trying to figure out if I'm awake or not I look over to see and hear her (MY WIFE) sawing logs.  WTF?
I said, "Sh*t, I'm glad you are sleeping but you have to remember to bring the dog in!"

She took some of the stuff I bought her, she slept most of the day.
I had the heater on in the garage so the pipe did not freeze, we're not sure how long she was stuck out there.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:39pm
I have to bring my front porch cat inside when it gets too cold at night.

She does not like it. Because she doesn't like the male cat, I have to put her in the utility room so she doesn't go hide herself away up underneath something where I can't get to her or feed her, etc.

She brings it all on herself.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:49pm
You took in a stray?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:18pm
All my cats have been strays that wandered through the yard and I started feeding them. The first one was just a week or so old, so I took her inside immediately. Then there was one who wandered up to me at work one day, so I brought him home. But the two I have now wandered into my yard and hung around after I started putting food out.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:34pm
This guy I work with took in a stray that appeared at his girlfriends' father's sliding glass doors during Thanksgiving dinner.  It was cold and rainy and miserable out, and they were all feasting on turkey when they noticed the cat looking in longingly.  They put food and some sorta shelter outside, and when they went out later to check on him, he came right up to them.  It was like right outta that commercial (I think for cat food).  They brought him inside, and Steve (the guy I work with) took him home.

Same day, one of the truckers I deal with did the same thing.  He heard us talking about the incident, and said "Hey, the same thing happened to me!"

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:40pm
I had a flashback the other day.  I came home and Mallory, as usual, had a lot to say.  Thing is, he was "talking" in his previous voice.  Up until he was about two, he had this nice, pretty, smooth meow...and then, one day, it changed into a creakier, less pleasant "rowr".  It'd been that way for the last 13 years, so it was a bit of a shock to suddenly hear him with his earlier "childhood" voice back.  This lasted about a minute.  Then he let out a big yawn and his voice changed back to normal. 

Anyway, it was nice while it lasted.  Weird, too, to hear him sound like that again.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:52pm
My cat makes all kinds of strange noises, but he almost never purrs.

I've heard him purr very faintly a handful of times, but it's rare and doesn't last very long.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:02am
Earlier, I laid down on my side, and Mickey climbed on top of me, sprawled out on my arm, lowered his face right into my ear, and started purring.  It sounded loud but it wasn't.  Then, he fell asleep with his face against mine.

This is the Mickey that only I know.  No one I know cares much for him, as he always hides from them.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

All my cats have been strays that wandered through the yard and I started feeding them. The first one was just a week or so old, so I took her inside immediately. Then there was one who wandered up to me at work one day, so I brought him home. But the two I have now wandered into my yard and hung around after I started putting food out.
Yeah, forgive me. I remember now.

The male cat was a stray too, cute little guy (you posted pictures) but feisty.  He bit you on the hand.

Nothing like hearing a cat fight in the middle of the night.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:11pm

Earlier, I laid down on my side, and Mickey climbed on top of me, sprawled out on my arm, lowered his face right into my ear, and started purring.  It sounded loud but it wasn't.  Then, he fell asleep with his face against mine.

This is the Mickey that only I know.  No one I know cares much for him, as he always hides from them.

My male cat has this odd habit. He loves to lay on my hip or the side of my thigh. This can only be accomplished when I am lying on my side, with one side facing upward. Sometimes, if my arm isn't in the way, he'll lie on the side of my chest.

Of course, I'm expected to keep my arm either behind me or out in front of me or over my head, no matter how uncomfortable it might be for me, as he has no concept of my comfort or convenience.

And of course, I dutifully obey.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:19pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Yeah, forgive me. I remember now.

The male cat was a stray too, cute little guy (you posted pictures) but feisty.  He bit you on the hand.

Nothing like hearing a cat fight in the middle of the night.

How dare you not remember the details of how I acquired my pets???

He's pretty feisty alright. Nearly took my hand off with those fangs.

But the only cat fights I ever hear at night are outside.

I always have a male and a female together.

No real "fighting" with that arrangement. Maybe some playful "rasslin", but nothing serious.

Only when you get two males together does the fur fly.

Typical male territorialism.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 9:49pm
Just saw a funny report on the news. Parents and students of a new middle school that is under construction want the proposed name and intials changed.

The students of Innovation Park Middle School and their parents, are afraid that they will find it embarrassing to tell people that they go to IPMS.

And you can bet the guys on the football team REALLY wouldn't want to wear jerseys with IPMS across the back!!!!

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 4:08am
Ah, I get it now.  It's the "I Pee", not the "PMS" part that's upsetting them.  Buncha crybabies...  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 197>
  Share Topic