Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm bored.  Sundays do that to me, especially when I'm off the entire weekend.

Yesterday, I ran errands, ate, napped, listened to the radio, watched an hour or so of Youtube music videos (Slade, ZZ Top, Abba, Mott the Hoople, the Animals), ate some more, napped some more.  Today, I did some laundry so far, and that's it.  It's 26 degrees out and I just don't feel like going out in that.  I'm sick of winter.

There's nothing on TV I want to watch except The Walking Dead, and that's not on until 9pm.  Cops would just be reruns.  I'm not into cable news much right now.  Lotta action flicks available, but I've come to realize (after watching part of John Wick the other day) that they're all the same.  Gunfire, explosions, stunts, CGI...any plot is secondary to all that.  I found myself just staring at the stunts, not caring why they were happening.

Not much happening here at CIH, either.

I'd nap, but my upper back is stiff, and laying down might just exacerbate that.

Ho-hum.

Sounds like you need a hobby.

Maybe take a trip to the local Hobby Lobby or whatever you have in "yo' ureeuh".

Find something you can do with your hands, sitting at a table or workbench.

Maybe a model car or airplane kit. Or get some wood, go out in the garage, cut it up and make a bird house. Paint it to look like a barn or a little cottage, etc.

Personally, I've been thinking about taking up rock painting.

You use these smooth stones called "Tropical Beach Pebbles" or "Mexican Beach Pebbles" that they sell for using in garden fountains. They aren't really pebbles though, as most of them fill up the palm of your hand and some are as big as your fist. They come in a dark almost black grey or white.

Clean them off, maybe sand them smooth a little, spray on a primer coat, then using cheap acrylic paint, put on whatever you want.

You can paint them in all kinds of cool ways. Animals like fish, birds and cats, bugs, cartoon characters, Indian designs, hippie art... I saw some painted to look like catuses (cacti?) and "planted" in a pot.

Looks fun and the possibilities are endless.

Becoming fairly popular too.

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:30pm
I don't see how he gets bored, working a 40 hour week.

There was/is always something around the house that needs to be done.
Run here, wash that, clean this.  I can barely keep up and I don't even work.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Same here.

But not having a wife to answer to, I mostly just say "fück it" and let stuff slide.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:06pm

We have a built-in microwave oven right above the stove, I was warming something up yesterday and the handle broke off in my hand.  WTF!

It's a Maytag and probably as old as the house is, 23 years old.  I wonder if I can find a part for this thing.

I found the model number, I was able to use a small pair of vice grips to grab what's left on the front of the door.  I honestly can't even tell how to take the door apart to make the repair.
We have a local shop called United Repair that has been in business since the 1950s. They stock a huge inventory of parts. You could try something similar or search online and most likely find it there plus repair instructions or just keep using the vice grips like I would. Of course Mrs. aka may not approve.Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:20pm

My bro lived with that exact thing for years.  He called the microwave "Phil", as he had to use a Phillips head screwdriver to open the door somehow (I think by pushing in on the release mechanism).

Time to get a new one, maybe?  You can get a mid-sized one at Walmart for $60-$70.  I paid $63 for the 1.25 cu ft one I got at Best Buy in 2002.  Worked great.  In fact, I always had to shorten the recommended times to cook things, as it seemed to work faster than other ones I've used over the years.  Still worked perfectly when I gave it away in 2015.

My Mother got an Amana Radar Range in 1973. The first time she roasted a whole chicken it set the wingtips on fire! As far as I know one of my Nieces is still using it.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

We have a built-in microwave oven right above the stove, I was warming something up yesterday and the handle broke off in my hand.  WTF!

It's a Maytag and probably as old as the house is, 23 years old.  I wonder if I can find a part for this thing.

I found the model number, I was able to use a small pair of vice grips to grab what's left on the front of the door.  I honestly can't even tell how to take the door apart to make the repair.
We have a local shop called United Repair that has been in business since the 1950s. They stock a huge inventory of parts. You could try something similar or search online and most likely find it there plus repair instructions or just keep using the vice grips like I would. Of course Mrs. aka may not approve.Wink
I don't see any screws on the door, nothing to indicate that prying a piece of trim will allow me to take the door apart.

It will expensive but I'm sure the size of the opening is standard.  I have yet to figure out how the microwave in mounted.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm bored.  Sundays do that to me, especially when I'm off the entire weekend.

Yesterday, I ran errands, ate, napped, listened to the radio, watched an hour or so of Youtube music videos (Slade, ZZ Top, Abba, Mott the Hoople, the Animals), ate some more, napped some more.  Today, I did some laundry so far, and that's it.  It's 26 degrees out and I just don't feel like going out in that.  I'm sick of winter.

There's nothing on TV I want to watch except The Walking Dead, and that's not on until 9pm.  Cops would just be reruns.  I'm not into cable news much right now.  Lotta action flicks available, but I've come to realize (after watching part of John Wick the other day) that they're all the same.  Gunfire, explosions, stunts, CGI...any plot is secondary to all that.  I found myself just staring at the stunts, not caring why they were happening.

Not much happening here at CIH, either.

I'd nap, but my upper back is stiff, and laying down might just exacerbate that.

Ho-hum.

Sounds like you need a hobby.

Maybe take a trip to the local Hobby Lobby or whatever you have in "yo' ureeuh".

Find something you can do with your hands, sitting at a table or workbench.

Maybe a model car or airplane kit. Or get some wood, go out in the garage, cut it up and make a bird house. Paint it to look like a barn or a little cottage, etc.

Personally, I've been thinking about taking up rock painting.

You use these smooth stones called "Tropical Beach Pebbles" or "Mexican Beach Pebbles" that they sell for using in garden fountains. They aren't really pebbles though, as most of them fill up the palm of your hand and some are as big as your fist. They come in a dark almost black grey or white.

Clean them off, maybe sand them smooth a little, spray on a primer coat, then using cheap acrylic paint, put on whatever you want.

You can paint them in all kinds of cool ways. Animals like fish, birds and cats, bugs, cartoon characters, Indian designs, hippie art... I saw some painted to look like catuses (cacti?) and "planted" in a pot.

Looks fun and the possibilities are endless.

Becoming fairly popular too.

I'll pass on the rocks.  I like 'em natural.  I used to go up to the foothills of the Sierras and come home with all sorts of big beautiful rocks to line my planting areas.  Nice, jagged white rocks with veins of rust going through them.  Stuff like that.

In my storage somewhere, I have a 65 Impala car model I'd been meaning to build for about 20 years now.  I even have the paint, inspired by this beautiful metalflake paintjob I saw in the 80s.  Not too much flake was what made it outstanding.  I'd have to paint the car the color I want, then lightly sprinkle gold flakes onto the wet paint, and then give it a few coats of clear lacquer so that the flake looks "deep".  Maybe someday I'll get around to it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 11:16pm

Same here.

But not having a wife to answer to, I mostly just say "fück it" and let stuff slide.

Very little needs to be done around here, especially in the winter.  Some vacuuming, mainly because of the cat fur.  Wipe things down on occasion.  Clean the bathrooms.  Take out the garbage.  Even at its worst, the place never looks bad.  Same with my house in California.  Junk mail and bills piling up on the counter was my main problem.  Oh, and the white floors and carpet downstairs.

I think Jimbo's right.  Women always think there's a lotta stuff that needs to be done.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 1:56am

I think Jimbo's right.  Women always think there's a lotta stuff that needs to be done.

They just can't stand to see a man lying around relaxing and doing nothing.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:02am

I'll pass on the rocks.  I like 'em natural.  I used to go up to the foothills of the Sierras and come home with all sorts of big beautiful rocks to line my planting areas.  Nice, jagged white rocks with veins of rust going through them.  Stuff like that.

In my storage somewhere, I have a 65 Impala car model I'd been meaning to build for about 20 years now.  I even have the paint, inspired by this beautiful metalflake paintjob I saw in the 80s.  Not too much flake was what made it outstanding.  I'd have to paint the car the color I want, then lightly sprinkle gold flakes onto the wet paint, and then give it a few coats of clear lacquer so that the flake looks "deep".  Maybe someday I'll get around to it.

Oh i wasnt suggesting the rock painting for you. Just something I've been thinking about. I have about four nice rocks to experiment with.

Maybe you could take up reading novels. Find a genre you like and while away the hours lost in fantasy.

Or crossword puzzles. You seem to like linguistics. I used to be seriously addicted to them. Sometimes I'd sit down and do three in a row.

Lotta stuff out there to cure boredom if you look for it and keep an open mind.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:56am

My bro lived with that exact thing for years.  He called the microwave "Phil", as he had to use a Phillips head screwdriver to open the door somehow (I think by pushing in on the release mechanism).

Time to get a new one, maybe?  You can get a mid-sized one at Walmart for $60-$70.  I paid $63 for the 1.25 cu ft one I got at Best Buy in 2002.  Worked great.  In fact, I always had to shorten the recommended times to cook things, as it seemed to work faster than other ones I've used over the years.  Still worked perfectly when I gave it away in 2015.

LOLWhen people would simply dumbfound me, I would ask them they had been standing in front of the leaky microwave so I would know their chance of having 'dain bramage'. Your bro jury-rigged a damaged microwave door?!
Microwave oven
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:30am

Yay, I got 2 of my laptops working again today! Thumbs Up  One was a Dell XP that went into 'safe' mode and somehow went from 256-color to 16-color.  Couldn't figure out how to reset it (something may have been removed when I uninstalled a game), so I just replaced the hard drive with another from some other XP parts I had saved.  Only need to load in the Lotus Wordpro I use all the time (I save all my 'work' on disks anyway, so if a laptop dies, there's not much lost.)  The other was swapping drives between two IBM Thinkpads to get a working one (I think small dead backup batteries are the problems with these.  Expen$ive little bastards...)

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:13pm

They just can't stand to see a man lying around relaxing and doing nothing.

I'm more of a clean freak than she is, it has more to do with the dog.

She sheds really bad, she hates the vacuum cleaner.  I have to run the sweeper when she is outside.

That narrows down my opportunities to clean.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:55am
Not through with the IBM yet.  The g/h keys aren't working right, so have to do a keyboard swap (that'll be fun...)
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 9:55am
Our tax guy sends me an organizer every year, I usually have this done by mid February.

Mama was awake when I filled it out 30 minutes ago...there were some questions about retirement and health insurance I needed her help with.  That's done, I will drop it off later today.

We have till the end of the month to renew the dogs license.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Not through with the IBM yet.  The g/h keys aren't working right, so have to do a keyboard swap (that'll be fun...)

I recently replaced the keyboard on my Acer laptop. Found a how-to video on YouTube for the exact make and model number.

Bought the replacement keyboard on eBay for $13 with Free shipping.

Took all of about 5 minutes. It was only slightly more involved than replacing the battery.

Piece of cake.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:42pm
Speaking of computer related stuff...

I needed a Bluetooth adapter for my laptop. I guess most new laptops built in the past four or five years probably come with Bluetooth capability already built into the motherboard, but I purchased mine in either 2010 or 2011 right before it became standard.

Because my Nexus 7 tablet was built without an SD card slot, the only way I could transfer files like pics, videos, PDF files etc, from my tablet to my PC was by the plugging the USB to micro USB charging cable directly into a USB port on my laptop and using Windows Explorer. This would have been perfectly acceptable except that, for some reason, WE would not recognize and find all of the folders and files I wanted it to.

My only solution then, was to get a Bluetooth adapter.

Found one on Walmart website for $6.94. Free shipping to store.

Took about 3 days to arrive at the Walmart Neighborhood Market where I do my grocery shopping. Brought it home, plugged it into my laptop and the driver loaded automatically. Took me about five minutes to figure out that I needed to install a Bluetooth app on my tablet and how to activate the driver software.

Works great!!!

Transfered a couple of hundred pic and video files from my tablet to my laptop which were really bogging my tablet down and taking up a lot of storage space.

I'm happy.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 9:35pm
I have found that the old computer can stay on for hours, I just have to close any open windows.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 6:32pm
I've been having some problems with the TV signal today, some pixeling, (is that a word?) losing the picture and sound completely.

I'm just guessing here...this station (WACY) broadcasts from Appleton, only about 30 miles from here, as the crow flies. I'll bet they get the signal via satellite dish and then broadcast it.

This wind might be enough to rock their dish enough to mess up my TV.  Angry

Somebody better get out there and tighten some nuts!!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 6:03am
I get the same problem when airplanes fly between my house and the transmitter.  The TV signal bounces off the plane, and the digital box pixelates while trying to deal with 2 (slightly out-of-sync) signals (I like bad weather because it forces the planes to take a different flight path Smile )
  And yes, wind at their antenna also disrupts the signal.
This sh*t never happened before they forced digital TV on us.  Angry

"Digital TV:  The AM radio of television broadcasting"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 1:03pm
But prior to digital TV, analog picture resolution was crappy.

I lose signal reception on one or two channels now and then, too.

Just part of life, I guess.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 2:46pm

I've been having some problems with the TV signal today, some pixeling, (is that a word?) losing the picture and sound completely.

I'm just guessing here...this station (WACY) broadcasts from Appleton, only about 30 miles from here, as the crow flies. I'll bet they get the signal via satellite dish and then broadcast it.

This wind might be enough to rock their dish enough to mess up my TV.  Angry

Somebody better get out there and tighten some nuts!!
I have satellite and occasionally experience the brief pixelization ( guess that's also not a word) and loss of audio. I think your theory is correct.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I have satellite and occasionally experience the brief pixelization (guess that's also not a word) and loss of audio. I think your theory is correct.

The words "pixeling" and "pixelization" are just different tenses of the same word.

Example:

"I wish this damn picture would stop pixeling!!!"

"I am sick and tired of all this damned pixelization I'm getting!!!"

As for ron's theory of how the wind messes up the signal, I never figured it was because of the wind rocking their dish or whatever apparatus they use to receive the satellite signal with. I always assumed that the wind was just blowing the airborne signal itself around and distorting it or something.

Of course, either one could be right. I'm certainly no satellite communications expert and don't make any pretense to be.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 5:55pm
The winds have died down and the problem went away. I saw on the news this morning that our gusts here in this town were 63 MPH...SHEESH!

Why does the wind adversely affect over-the-air television transmission?

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 12:04pm
I woke up about 2:30 this morning, an a ron's work is never done.

I had to restart the fire, only 9 above outside this morning.
Start some laundry and do the dishes.
Both bulbs were out in the main hallway, I need the big stepladder to reach the fixture.
One of the bulbs was out in the kitchen too.
I oiled some squeaky hinges in the kitchen as well.
Went to Walmart, I needed to get gas first, I picked up some more glucosamine for the dog and a filter and some oil for Mama's Edge.
Grocery shopping.

Mama went to the doctor yesterday for some swelling of her feet and ankles and because she is not sleeping well. I don't know why they did not prescribe something to help her sleep.
I picked up an OTC medicine to help her sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 197>
  Share Topic