Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:27am
Back when we first came back to the USofA, I was still used to life without the idiotbox (German TV played for only a few hours a day and US Armed Forces TV was little more than a 'tease'). Point is, TV was not a player in our lives. The same was true when we moved from H-Berg, straight to El Paso - TV was unimpressive, so we didn't even own one for a year. Turned out to be very formative times.

These days I'm surrounded by computers and TVs, addicted to 'Oak Island', 'The Blacklist', 'Mr. Robot', and the quality paranormal shows (basically for the history about the huge & creepy rundown locations out in nowhere, some of which are totally new to me), especially when I'm working daylight hours for India or China. Makes me feel like I've lost a step - forgotten what 'real life' was really like and about.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:43am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I think today may be the day, the day I cancel the cable TV. We are in a period of transition.
Avoid wasteful spending...$73.97 a month for the TV service. Those bastards charge us $13.98 a month for 2 receivers. I think I have paid for these fking receivers 3 or 4 times now! Angry

Recently my Qwest/CenturyLink DSL modem failed after 10 years. The original modem was buy for $60 or rent for $5 per month. I purchased mine. Renting for 10 years would have cost $600!!! I was very surprised when they replaced it for no charge and paid 2 day shipping.Big smile
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 1:14pm
I see the viewing choices aren't as good this morning.
Beverly Hillbilly's
Green Acres
Leave it to Beaver

I landed on The Verdict, a court show.

I have yet to find a good TV guide for the OTA channels. I guess I will have to go to the individual stations to get programming info.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 2:07pm

I see the viewing choices aren't as good this morning.
Beverly Hillbilly's

Green Acres

Leave it to Beaver

I landed on The Verdict, a court show.

I have yet to find a good TV guide for the OTA channels. I guess I will have to go to the individual stations to get programming info.

I used to watch Green Acres every morning until they rescheduled it an hour earlier and now I can't get up in time anymore.

Loved watching while having breakfast. Goes perfect with eggs, ham, sausage & coffee.

As for your TV guide issue, Google search Zap2It.com.

It's an online TV guide that allows you to customize it for your zip code your signal source and your channel preferences.

You just need to create an account with username and password.

If you have a tablet device, you can download an app.

I use both.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I used to watch Green Acres every morning until they rescheduled it an hour earlier and now I can't get up in time anymore.

Loved watching while having breakfast. Goes perfect with eggs, ham, sausage & coffee.

As for your TV guide issue, Google search Zap2It.com.

It's an online TV guide that allows you to customize it for your zip code your signal source and your channel preferences.

You just need to create an account with username and password.

If you have a tablet device, you can download an app.

I use both.
Green eggs and Arnold! Tongue

I had to finish up the TV work this morning, disconnect both cable receivers, clean them up so I can return them.  It's about 40 minutes to Fond du Lac.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:34pm
I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the shows available on broadcast TV.

I spend a lot of time on the Escape channel, they play 2 movies here in the early morning.
Some exciting and edgy stuff. I should have cut the cable months ago...I don't miss it at all!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 1:26pm
I watch Escape sometimes, too.

FBI Files, Forensic Files, Unsolved Mysteries, etc, etc.

Pretty good mid day viewing.

Create is good too, if you like Ask This Old House and various home improvement and gardening shows.

I'm very happy with my FREE TV choices.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:12pm
I am usually able to find Criminal Minds at this hour, what I have is Blue Bloods.

Tom Selleck? When I think of Tom Selleck I think of this scene from the Sopranos...go to 6:10.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:06pm
I just got kicked off the page I was working on...Angry

From what I saw online, Charter has added some extra charges to our bill. WTF?

I just cancelled TV service, why would that raise my bill?

The snow was so slushy, the snowblower was useless. I had to clear it by hand.  The doctor said to avoid any lifting for 4 to 6 weeks. It was more of a pushing motion. It's my hip that hurts!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 5:40am
Probably a "cancellation fee" for cancelling the cable service before the contract expired.  Or you are billed for the entire month even if you only used it for one day.  Or you still need to cancel PPV channels you are still subscribed to (as the cable co. is only the "carrier" for them), otherwise they'll continue billing you each month.  Gosh, if I worked for the cable co., I could be raking in the dough for them (though they probably have even more "fees" than I came up with...  LOL  )
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:08am
^ Or you could have been getting a discount on a bundle, but now the bundle is gone, so you have to pay full rate for the one or two remaining services, i.e., Internet, phone and TV were a bundle, or just Internet and TV.

How's your hip?  Hope you're OK!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:22pm
Thanks, DRS.

Just another old injury that gets sore when I'm too active.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

^ Or you could have been getting a discount on a bundle, but now the bundle is gone, so you have to pay full rate for the one or two remaining services, i.e., Internet, phone and TV were a bundle, or just Internet and TV.

That's what I was thinking.

You can cut the TV cable and go strictly cell phone, but internet service is the one thing you cannot do without these days. And most providers charge pretty much the same monthly fee for non bundled service.

One of my wistful little occasional flights of fancy is that my house is located directly behind some nice, quiet commercial business like a doctor's or dentist's office that has free wifi for their patients and the signal is strong enough to reach my house.

I'd be free riding that sucker for all its worth, baby!!!!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 6:31pm

You can cut the TV cable and go strictly cell phone, but internet service is the one thing you cannot do without these days. And most providers charge pretty much the same monthly fee for non bundled service.

One of my wistful little occasional flights of fancy is that my house is located directly behind some nice, quiet commercial business like a doctor's or dentist's office that has free wifi for their patients and the signal is strong enough to reach my house.

Just move next door to any McDonalds.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm

^LOL
Yes, there was a discount  for the TV/internet bundle. I hate those bastages!

Colder outside today, the woodstove is keeping us cozy.

A strange part of the family dynamic here at the aka ranch, Mama has trouble sleeping.
She retired 2 weeks ago and that need for sleep is gone.

It's not always my fault, my constant toss and turning. The occasional blasty fart.

She has a real case of Restless Leg Syndrome.  She/we are so disgusted with our new health insurance plan, she doesn't even want to see a doctor about it.  AngryAngry
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:31am
She needs vitamin D.  Getting a lot of sunlight easily cures that (though your neighbors might get a little upset if they see her out in the snow nude sunbathing...  LOL)

Bought pipe fittings on sale at Ace, so one step closer to making that 75 foot arch.  I'm definitely doing a test run (complete with lights) in a couple months.  Just have to dig the pipe out first... Wink
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

She needs vitamin D. Getting a lot of sunlight easily cures that (though your neighbors might get a little upset if they see her out in the snow nude sunbathing...  LOL)

Bought pipe fittings on sale at Ace, so one step closer to making that 75 foot arch.  I'm definitely doing a test run (complete with lights) in a couple months.  Just have to dig the pipe out first... Wink
LOL
Any sunshine here is still weak and cold, we warm up in June.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 7:02pm
I got the whole Sharter Rectum SNAFU straightened out. Those boneheads!

We paid in advance, in other words the bill due on March 13 was for the month of March.

I cancelled on Feb 20th. I was able to get the updated bill on the phone even though their phone service line is one of the worst I've ever experienced.

I've had to get some cleaning done with my brothers short notice visit tomorrow.
We have a single bed, in one of the bedrooms, that was bought for the oldest grandchild Mick. 
I washed the sheets. I just happened to clean both toilets before he even called.

I'm going to buy a spoon roast with some carrots and some broth, we have potatoes here.
Mama will start the crock pot early in the day, plenty of food ready whenever we are ready to eat.

I'll have to warn my brother about our odd sleeping habits, and to keep his hands off of my wife! Tongue
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:26am
We have a built-in microwave oven right above the stove, I was warming something up yesterday and the handle broke off in my hand.  WTF!

It's a Maytag and probably as old as the house is, 23 years old.  I wonder if I can find a part for this thing.

I found the model number, I was able to use a small pair of vice grips to grab what's left on the front of the door.  I honestly can't even tell how to take the door apart to make the repair.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:58am
My bro lived with that exact thing for years.  He called the microwave "Phil", as he had to use a Phillips head screwdriver to open the door somehow (I think by pushing in on the release mechanism).

Time to get a new one, maybe?  You can get a mid-sized one at Walmart for $60-$70.  I paid $63 for the 1.25 cu ft one I got at Best Buy in 2002.  Worked great.  In fact, I always had to shorten the recommended times to cook things, as it seemed to work faster than other ones I've used over the years.  Still worked perfectly when I gave it away in 2015.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 2:24pm
Similar thing happened to mine. A plastic lever type part that goes behind the door release button and releases the catch in the door broke.

This is the actual part...

It pivots on those two little pins and that arm thingy swings up and releases the catch on the door.

In this pic, you can see the crack where it broke and I glued it back together...

And because of the way my microwave is designed, you can't use any kind of tool to bypass the button to release the latch.

So basically, because of a little plastic door catch release, my microwave has been rendered utterly useless.

I only paid about $30 for it at Wally world, and I wouldn't mind buying another one. It's not the money. I just hate the idea of junking a perfectly good piece of household equipment over something like that.

I've been looking into 3D printing services with the idea of possibly having it scanned and a new identical plastic part produced if it could be done for just a few bucks. But I haven't found one locally. The one I did find is in CA. I'd have to mail it to them and it is so expensive, I could buy half a dozen new microwaves.

So now I'm thinking of ways to reinforce that broken part and hopefully get it put back together.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 4:39pm
Yeah, it's like all my $10 watches.  The battery goes or the band breaks---is the fix worth it?

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 4:52pm
The microwave was marked with a date too, July of 1994. The same year the house was built.

Not much luck finding a part either, it's usable as is. I don't want to damage the door taking it apart.

I'm sure I can find a replacment that matches the other appliances.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 5:31pm
I'm bored.  Sundays do that to me, especially when I'm off the entire weekend.

Yesterday, I ran errands, ate, napped, listened to the radio, watched an hour or so of Youtube music videos (Slade, ZZ Top, Abba, Mott the Hoople, the Animals), ate some more, napped some more.  Today, I did some laundry so far, and that's it.  It's 26 degrees out and I just don't feel like going out in that.  I'm sick of winter.

There's nothing on TV I want to watch except The Walking Dead, and that's not on until 9pm.  Cops would just be reruns.  I'm not into cable news much right now.  Lotta action flicks available, but I've come to realize (after watching part of John Wick the other day) that they're all the same.  Gunfire, explosions, stunts, CGI...any plot is secondary to all that.  I found myself just staring at the stunts, not caring why they were happening.

Not much happening here at CIH, either.

I'd nap, but my upper back is stiff, and laying down might just exacerbate that.

Ho-hum.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 8:23pm
I watch a lot of documentaries on YouTube...Titanic, the 2011 Tsunami, the Challenger, the Twin Towers.
The Kursk, the Bismark, the Thresher.

The old Maytag microwave was probably top of the line, back then.
It acts as a range hood as well with an exhaust fan and lights.
This one vents the air back into the room after it goes through some filters. I'm not seeing anything like it online at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 197>
  Share Topic