Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:18pm
Some sort of Crane.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Sandy is here and she saw these big birds outside.  The same birds I saw yesterday.  Not the best picture...

Wild turkeys?

We have 3 different species around here.

Sand Hill Cranes

Stateside: Court orders MI to redraw political maps; push for ...

Blue Heron Cranes

Great Blue Heron…or Crane? | A Birds Delight

White Egret Cranes

Similar Species to Whooping Crane, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of ...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Wild turkeys?

Why, thanks!!!

It's a bit early in the day for me, but I'd be happy to take you up on a couple later on.... Thumbs Up

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:14pm
I thought their necks were long for turkeys. The only cranes we have are blue herons.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
I hurt my back yesterday.  I'm hoping for some healing time when I sleep.  I'm in a lot of pain.

The post office screwed up the mailing of the divorce paperwork to the future ex.  f**king idiots!

The wife is stopping by to take it out of my truck.  I told her I don't want to see her.  Sandy may be here about that time.  Evil Smile  Just a little food for thought.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:27pm
Now that I have my blinds.  I have this little super sky way of small birds picking bugs out of the air.

My desk is next to a south facing window.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 4:48pm
I heard this song while I was in my truck a little while ago.  It made me think about PaW.

Another shortfall of my new truck, no step bar to help me get in.  The old truck was a Z71 package which made the cab several inches higher in the air.  The salesman pointed out, there is no gas cap. Just a flapper that covers the hole and a door like the old one.

Lord knows, I've had my share of emotional pain these past few months. Time heals all wounds. My latest self inflicted injury might actually get me to a doctor.   Cry

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 4:38pm
Well, I put 9 bucks worth of gas in my truck just so I could get a $6 car wash.  I bought it 3 weeks ago today, it was due for a wash. I still have my shop vac and an extension cord.  There is an outlet on the back side of the house.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:57am
No more eating dark chocolate right before bedtime for me, dammit.

For some time now, I've been having a couple of squares of dark chocolate at night while watching reruns of Ice Road Truckers. When I first started watching it, they were running it from like 9pm to 10. Something like that. And the dark chocolate I was having was the 60% cacao type.

The last few times I've been grocery shopping, I've had to get the 72% cacao because they've been out of the 60%. 

The TV show moved to 11 pm, too.

I noticed that recently I've been suffering from bouts of insomnia and I couldn't figure out why. Then it occurred to me, the cacao in chocolate has caffeine in it. Not a lot, but if you're sensitive to it like I am, and you eat it right before going to bed, it can screw up your sleep along with some other substance in the cacao that they think also affects sleep. Plus of course, with a 12% higher level of cacao, the chocolate I've been getting recently has more caffeine than the lower percentage stuff I had been getting.

Long and short of it, here it is nearly 6 am and I have not slept one frickin wink all night long.

No more 72% dark chocolate right before bedtime for me!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 11:48am
Somebody is gonna need a nap today!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 3:14pm

You should pick up some "Allergy Relief" pills at Walmart. Get the kind that's diphenhydramine HCL 25 mg. This is the same stuff that's the PM in Tylenol PM, but cheaper and safer (supposedly, too much Tylenol can cause liver damage). Anyway, it's a bottle of 100 for $4. Works pretty well when I have trouble sleeping. When I sense I'm not gonna get any sleep, I take two.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 4:12pm
I used to occasionally take over the counter allergy relief pills when I'd get a really bad allergy attack.

They'd knock me out like taking a right hook across the chin from Mike Tyson. 

I've got a bottle of generic Walmart Tylenol PM that I occasionally use, but I only take one at a time, because I'm also concerned about the liver damage, even though you'd have to take a lot for a long time for it to do any harm.

Didn't take anything last night though. 

Just rode the caffeine tiger until I wore it down.

Finally got to sleep a little after 6 am and woke up a little after 10:30.

Missed all the Saturday morning westerns.

I've been thinking about keeping a six pack of beer in the fridge. One of those will take the edge off, too.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 5:18pm
I've been keeping some Nyquil in the house. I think I need a chirocracker!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I've been keeping some Nyquil in the house. I think I need a chirocracker!

I think I've tried that before.

I don't like the idea of taking things like that, though.

Unless I have a cough.

I'm thinking a cold beer at 3 am when I can't get to sleep might do the trick.

At least it would be fun to experiment with it, anyway.... Tongue

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 6:12pm
Vodka!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 6:15pm
I'm a beer guy.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:02pm
I think I have all of my billing issues resolved now.  Nothing forwarded to the future ex-wife.  I was worried about the truck premium which is due on the 18th.  I went ahead and paid it online, wouldn't you know the bill shows up the next day.  My only concern now is the sticker for my license plate.  I got the new registration.  Maybe this 'B' sticker from the dealership will get me through till next year.  If so, the DOT owes me a hundred bucks for the registration of the old truck.  I may call them or my salesman, Aaron.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:18pm
I saw this balloon land just a few minutes ago.  Note to self:  Don't take pictures through the screen!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 4:40pm
Hot air balloons and helicopters are two things that, in order for me to fly in them, the only other alternative would have to be certain and immediate death.

Or dismemberment.

Or something equally awful. 

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 4:48pm
I would love to ride in a hot air balloon.  I did ride in a 2 person helicopter at Wolf Run. A friend of the owner.

It was freaking amazing.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 5:03pm
Looks like we're getting our street repaved.

Don't know why, it's not in what I would call particularly bad condition.

Looked out the window earlier and saw a yellow stake-bed truck with what looked like highway equipment (signs, cones, etc) piled in the back, parked across the street, then it left.

A little while later, I hear a low rumbling sound which I didn't really notice until my cat started freaking out, meowing and hiding under the furniture.

Looked outside and they're running a big piece of road equipment in front of my house thats roughing up the surface of the road, most likely in preparation for a new coat of asphalt.

I was happy with the old surface, myself.

Here it comes again.

My cat does not like that sound!!!! LOL

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 5:31pm
I wish someone would fix our road.  There is a community effort, so to speak.  Someone has a load of chopped up asphault dumped back here. Another neighbor has a lawn tractor with a front end loader,  The same neighbor then puts on this snow plow to smooth it out.  I'm not sure how many people live back here year round.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 8:24pm

Damn, I love driving on freshly paved roads. A few weeks ago, there were three completely different roads on my 3 mile ride home from work, being paved. I love when I hit those stretches of road.

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Hot air balloons and helicopters are two things that, in order for me to fly in them, the only other alternative would have to be certain and immediate death.

Or dismemberment.

Or something equally awful. 

I tried getting to a hot air balloon at a summer camp once, but didn't want to.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 9:38pm
The power went out here for over an hour.

It went off some time after 2pm and didn't come back on until about 3:55pm.

Don't know what caused it, but it happened while the repaving crew was working, so I and a couple of neighbors were thinking maybe a piece of their equipment hit something.

Turns out they had nothing to do with it.

Whatever it was, transformer blow up etc, happened a block or two away from my street.

At least it had just rained and was cloudy and somewhat cooler outside during the wait.

Woulda sucked if the blazing sun had been beating down on the roof like big hot sledge hammer.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 197>
  Share Topic