Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

If my phone can go online, we are not paying for that.

I know very little about cell phones and service plans.

I thought that if a phone was equipped with wifi capability you could access the internet anywhere there was a wifi signal without having to pay extra for it.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:05pm
I've got a FedEx delivery scheduled for sometime today. 

It will be a fairly large box that weighs around 70 lbs. 

Of course, the weather forecast shows 73% chance of afternoon downpours and thunderstorms, so it's possible I'll have to run outside in the pouring rain to bring it in.

I'm all ready though.

I have my hand truck sitting just outside the backdoor with a blue tarp clamped to it so I can meet the guy in the driveway, sit the box on the hand truck and cover it with the tarp before it gets too wet.

Hopefully it will get here before the wet weather moves in.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:18pm
I CAN NOT BELIEVE I AM HERE!  CAN YOU?

What a miserable 3 or 4 days.  I was supposed to have internet service on Friday!  I still don't have any TV service!  What a PITA!  I'm going stir crazy here with just a clock radio for entertainment.

I put a call in to an antenna company, if I hear from them in the next few hours, I will cancel the damned dish.

I'd feel a little better with the new house if I had all of the creature comforts I love so much. I called someone about some vertical blinds, they will be here on Thursday. Who wants to see an old man wandering around in his underwear?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:40pm
Relax and give everything time.

You'll settle in before you know it.

A few months and you'll love the place.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:50pm
Many thanks to the AT&T lineman who found the problem. He even used his iPad to help me register a new account.  The house did not even have a phone line.  It's kinda funny, the nice looking, young realtor said...

People still use land lines?  Hell yes! If you're back here in bum f*ck Egypt!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm
My "land line" is VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)

IOW, it's a Magic Jack.

Same tech as getting your telephone, TV cable and internet all bundled from the same company.

The phone uses the internet router to send and receive calls.

Handy and cheap, but when your router goes out, your phone goes out too.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
Oh!  And, just in case I left out details of my life these days...

I blew my right shoulder out on Friday, not sure if it will heal but it sure hurts to move and sleeping isn't easy either.

It's supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow!  Menards did not have a window AC that would fit in these windows.  I bought one of these. An indoor air conditioner.

As you can see, it vents outside. But there will be water that builds up in the process. You are supposed to move it to a drain location. Confused  The thing weighs every bit of a hundred pounds dry!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 10:07pm

Oh!  And, just in case I left out details of my life these days...

I blew my right shoulder out on Friday, not sure if it will heal but it sure hurts to move and sleeping isn't easy either.

It's supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow!  Menards did not have a window AC that would fit in these windows.  I bought one of these. An indoor air conditioner.

As you can see, it vents outside. But there will be water that builds up in the process. You are supposed to move it to a drain location. Confused  The thing weighs every bit of a hundred pounds dry!

A couple of posts back I mentioned a FedEx delivery I was expecting a couple of days ago.

Guess what it was.... (I'll give you a hint)....

Black and Decker 10,000 BTU portable a/c.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 5:49am
You shoulda just moved to FL,  got yourself a nice little bungalow near the beach. 

Now the big question:  Does that place even have heat?  Don't want you to be surprised 6 months from now...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 8:59am
^  They called it a 'year round' cottage.  It has in-floor radiant heating.  I'm curious to see how comfortable it will be and how much it cost to heat in the dead of winter.

Jimbo, how is your AC working?  I turned mine on this morning, it is back there cycling on and off.  I'll put a fan in the door way to move the cooler air out here.  The living room has these tall sliding windows.  It would have been a pain to install the vent.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm

^  They called it a 'year round' cottage.  It has in-floor radiant heating.  I'm curious to see how comfortable it will be and how much it cost to heat in the dead of winter.

Jimbo, how is your AC working?  I turned mine on this morning, it is back there cycling on and off.  I'll put a fan in the door way to move the cooler air out here.  The living room has these tall sliding windows.  It would have been a pain to install the vent.

I haven't even turned it on yet.

It hasn't been super hot down here yet.

A couple more days though..... 

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 5:10pm
Mines working pretty well, it's only 79 at 11:00.

My freaking fight with AT&T/DirecTV. I can't believe they have any customers left. I must have talked to 5 different people.  Finally...you can barely understand these people!!

The lady said, "We can't reschedule a time for you at this time."  I lost it!!  Angry

A half an hour later I have a contract with Dish Network and they will be here today.  That's better!

The wife and I have a joint checking/savings account at her Credit Union. She's the primary on the account. I called them today asking for a new account in my name. The lady said she need a copy of my drivers license and something from the Title Company proving my new residence.  Mama will be sooo happy!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 5:17pm
Oh!  From the aka half-a-ranch house.  The blinds people won't be here to measure until Thursday morning.  That means, I'm guessing, at least a week before they will be installed.  I need my privacy and blocking the sun light will help keep the place cooler. I do like the natural light. I had an old bed spread that I chopped up.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 6:23pm
Looking homey-er already. Thumbs Up

I wish my walls and floors were like yours.

Love the stone and wood look.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:26pm
^ Thanks!  You could get an AAG Reverse Mortgage and do some remodeling!  The Dish Network guy is here now.  AT&T/DirecTV sent me a summary of the bill...HAH!!  I'll pay for the internet but you ain't getting squat other than that!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 6:16pm
Finally!  With all of my entertainment tech. in place. Not expecting any freaking service people to barge into my house.  Let's talk about good eats...

I had a plumber here, he opened those valves for the washing machine no problem. Of course, there is a minimum service call price.  75 bucks! This place is on a well and the water stinks. I asked him about some sort of water conditioner.  He took a sample and they will work out a plan in the next few days.

The home's former owner's son stopped by to see if I have seen any of his mail.  He was able to answer some important questions for me.

I told my insurance agent to cancel the insurance at the old house, add coverage on this one and switch me over to a paper bill.  The list of things she wanted to know...

Is this a rental or are you moving there?

What year was your home built?

What year and month did you move into your home?

How many square feet is your home?

What year was the roof of your home last replaced?

How many full bathrooms are in your home?

How many half bathrooms are in your home?

Do you have central air?

What type of heat do you have (forced air, electric, a boiler, etc.)

Do you have a fire place?  If so, how many and are they wood burning or gas?

Is your home one story or two?

What is the exterior of your home made of (wood siding, vinyl, aluminum, brick, stone, or a combination)?

Do you have a garage?

Is your garage attached or detached and how many stalls is it?

Do you escrow the payment for your insurance or pay it yourself?

What is the highest level of education for all of the owners of the home?

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm
That Cod dinner was soooooooooooooooooo good!

We both went to the CU to sign the papers.

Removing me from her account and opening my own savings/checking account.  I'm curious to see if I will still be able to use the debit card.  It will be 7 business days before I get my debit card.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:18pm
I've been busting my ass today!  The tractor needed a jump, must be new battery time.

I took a load of laundry to the laundry mat, I just needed a dryer and it took only 20 minutes.

I needed to wind some new string on the trimmer.  The first time the trimming was done this year, the second mowing.  I set the height down a notch. Still kinda clumpy but it will look better next time.

I joined Our Time...Embarrassed  Nobody is going to want a crippled old f*ck like me.

Some irony? My new address is the same as the last 4 digits of the wife's phone.  4414

Her new apartment is on McCarthy street, our last name is McCarty.  My first wife lives/lived on McCarty street in Indy!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:26pm
I went for the 3 piece cod dinner yesterday, it is expensive. About $14 but worth every penny! It comes with 2 sides and a dinner roll. GOOD EATS!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:35pm
Looks damned tasty, but I don't know if I could pull the trigger for $14.

Unless it was a buffet.... Tongue

Got a couple of burgers marinating on the kitchen counter. Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:39pm
I think I'll just hang around in this thread for a while.

I remember Hootman was turned off by the ads, one of the reasons he left.

To me, it's not that bad. I don't know if the FA has any say so in what is posted.

Like this one...

Everything from swim wear for large breasted women. Evil Smile To sawed off 12 gauge pistols!  What's not to like about that?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:12pm
My next door neighbors have free range chickens!  I haven't heard the rooster yet!  The weird guy who stopped by said they have chickens.

Online dating?  This girl was passing herself off as a 64 year old woman.  More than one fishy thing here.

It turns out she is a 34 year old military nurse serving in Afghanistan. Just lonely, desperate like me.

I don't know, most of these women aren't really that attractive.  I'm no prize either!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:26pm
I've had a headache all morning.

Feeling a little queasy in the gut.

Must've been something I ate yesterday.

Headache might be from sleeping in an awkward position.

Starting to feel a little better.

Getting a little hungry even.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:36pm
I have a new pain everyday!  I think I tore my right side bicep muscle. Some bruising, it looks like my arm is flexed all of the time.

I hope you are feeling better, Jimbo.

The f**king idiot at Culver's didn't give me my cole slaw!  I will survive but I really need my cabbage!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:42pm

I have a new pain everyday!  I think I tore my right side bicep muscle. Some bruising, it looks like my arm is flexed all of the time.

I hope you are feeling better, Jimbo.

The f**king idiot at Culver's didn't give me my cole slaw!  I will survive but I really need my cabbage!

You should call them and demand that they deliver your cole slaw free of charge.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 197>
  Share Topic