Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

We are going to have a house guest for the next 10 days, she's a great old dog. I guess she is almost completely deaf now. We got a email from Mama's friend about caring for the dog.  This is from the last time she was here.

CryThe poor thing...but she also looks like she is guilty of something you haven't found, yet but may start smelling soon...WinkBig smile
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:51am
She has never had an accident in the house. Leah used to stand by the garage door and bark if we didn't see her.  There's so much junk in the garage, I'm afraid to let this one go out there. She might hurt herself.  We just take her out on a leash.  She can go about 6 hours before she acts like she wants to go out.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 6:42pm
Don't you still have the enclosure thing (I think you called it a dog run?) that you had for Leah?
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Don't you still have the enclosure thing (I think you called it a dog run?) that you had for Leah?
That's the thing, I'm afraid this dog might get curious and get stuck between the wall and my truck. The wall with all of my garden tools.

Speaking of the old (12 years) hound dog. Mama found a bump on her neck a few days ago, I told her to leave it alone! She thought she should clean it up to get a better look.  No problem at that time. Today, the dog is bleeding all over the carpeting. The dog's owners are on a cruise somewhere near the Panama Canal.
Mama is taking her to the Vet at 2:00.

I was pretty sure I wrecked my hip joint dealing with the snowfall yesterday.  Once again, 6 or 7 hours on my back was enough to relieve some of the pain of moving around. Only one aspirin today! I had the snowblower out this morning to clean-up the additional 2 inches and what the city plow left at the end of the driveway.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 6:00pm
What a rotten 24 hours. I told Mama that I would help her get the dog into her vehicle. She decided to walk, it is only 3 or 4 blocks.  The dog was perky, active and normal before she went to the Vet.  The next thing I know, the dog is puking all over the house.  Mama has thrown out 10 or 12 towels trying to keep up.

I took the towels out of the trash and washed them.  I think she might be losing it.  Then, the diagnosis from the doctor is not good.  They think it's cancer.  The dog isn't eating, she's lethargic.  I feel like we somehow made the dog sick.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 4:42pm
The chili smells freaking awesome!

Ingredients

• 2-4 lb. ground chuck
  • 4 cans tomato sauce
  • 1 medium can tomato paste
  • 1 large can tomatoes
  • 3-4 Tbs. chili powder
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 cans chili beans
  • 1-2 tsp. hot sauce (I use Texas Pete but any kind will do)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:03am
Confused.....ohhhhhhhhhh my, the days go by.
Spent the evening entertaining my Mother (who is fading amazingly FAST after losing my Father last month - they were married for 70 years) by taking her shopping, then on a nice car ride along the water to see the lights and check out what movies were on, while listening to NPR radio. Wouldn't you know two songs come across that just 'fit the bill' - one I dearly love, the other drives me nuts and I just can't get it out of my head when I hear it. Both by great artists...and here, just for you. Enjoy, because I'm mentally nowhere, now.
...and Kimya's great, but daaaaammmmnnnnnn!!! For YEARS many have griped about disliking 'whistle songs' - finally Kimya got ME (I DO like the song and the melodies).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 6:14pm
I've been trying to get some of my indoor work done today. Laundry, dishes. Picking up piles of puke!

The dogs owners flight was canceled, they should arrive in Appleton at about 11:00 tonight.

They can pick up their dying dog tomorrow!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:31pm
My car is on the fritz right now.

Not sure if it's the starter or a relay or just the battery.

I checked the battery voltage using a small, light duty multimeter and the voltage is where it's supposed to be, but the amps could be down.

Got it on a charger right now. Tomorrow morning I'll try to start it again. If it starts, I'm going straight to a repair shop a couple of blocks from my house and get the battery replaced.

If it doesn't start, the shop is only a short bicycle ride from here so I'll ride over and request a tow truck to come and get it. A two block tow of less than half a mile shouldn't cost that much.

If the starter is bad and needs to be replaced, I'm thinking of just having them replace the alternator and battery too, whether they need it or not.

I've had the car for around four years now and none of those things have been replaced since I've owned it.

I think their diagnostic test equipment can tell what shape the components are.

Hoping it's just the battery.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 6:00am
Wal-mart is your cheapest bet for a new battery.  Theirs lasts as long as a 3x more expensive Interstate battery...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:55am

My car is on the fritz right now.

Not sure if it's the starter or a relay or just the battery.

I checked the battery voltage using a small, light duty multimeter and the voltage is where it's supposed to be, but the amps could be down.

Got it on a charger right now. Tomorrow morning I'll try to start it again. If it starts, I'm going straight to a repair shop a couple of blocks from my house and get the battery replaced.

If it doesn't start, the shop is only a short bicycle ride from here so I'll ride over and request a tow truck to come and get it. A two block tow of less than half a mile shouldn't cost that much.

If the starter is bad and needs to be replaced, I'm thinking of just having them replace the alternator and battery too, whether they need it or not.

I've had the car for around four years now and none of those things have been replaced since I've owned it.

I think their diagnostic test equipment can tell what shape the components are.

Hoping it's just the battery.

If the lights and dash work, but you get nothing when you turn the key, it could be the starter fuse.  I had that problem once in 2010, again in 2016, and then frequently in 2017.  I had to keep changing the fuse.  Ended up getting a new starter.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:13pm
It was the battery.

Put it on a charger overnight and it cranked right up this morning. Took it down to the repair shop I usually go to and paid them to change it for me.

These friggin modern cars are so cramped under the hood, you have to disassemble half the damned engine compartment just to get to the battery and I didn't feel like going through all that crappola just to save $50 bucks, so I figured I'd just as soon pay a pro to do it. Plus, they threw in a system diagnostic test for free, so now at least I know the rest of my ignition system components are in good shape.

Got an Interstate battery that wasn't all that much more expensive than a comparable Walmart battery.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

If the lights and dash work, but you get nothing when you turn the key, it could be the starter fuse.  I had that problem once in 2010, again in 2016, and then frequently in 2017.  I had to keep changing the fuse.  Ended up getting a new starter.

Everything worked, and I tested it on my little multimeter. It tested at around 12 volts like it's supposed to, but it just didn't have the necessary amps to crank the motor over.

I figured that meant it was beginning to go bad.

I've had the car for about four years now and have never changed the battery, so I know it was about time.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:54am

These friggin modern cars are so cramped under the hood, you have to disassemble half the damned engine compartment just to get to the battery...

I wish mine was that easy.  I have to jack my car up, remove the wheel, and then remove the wheel well panels to change my battery, which is in front of my driver side wheel, deep down in the engine compartment.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 4:49pm

These friggin modern cars are so cramped under the hood, you have to disassemble half the damned engine compartment just to get to the battery...

I wish mine was that easy.  I have to jack my car up, remove the wheel, and then remove the wheel well panels to change my battery, which is in front of my driver side wheel, deep down in the engine compartment.

Well, taking the wheel and panels off certainly sounds like a pain in the ass, and I'm sure it is. But what's required with my car is no picnic either.

It might even be a bigger pain because there's just so much more piddly crap to remove.

First there's a bracing strut, then the windshield washer tank for which you need different sized sockets and an extension, next there's the fuse box, then the air filter housing has to come off all before even getting to the battery hold down brace and they're all held in place with hard to get at bolts. That's the real issue. Everything is so tight and cramped and hard to get to.

If you're interested in seeing what I'm talking about, the video below shows the exact year, make and model as my car. It's like 9 minutes long, but the second half is all just putting everything back on, so you'd really only have to watch until 5:40 where he finally lifts the old battery out. Plus, the guy who made it speeds up the video in some places to move it along.

Hence the reason why I was willing to pay someone else to do it for me.

In the old days, I'd have gone through a ton of crap, including riding my bike up to Advance Auto Parts and lugging a new battery back home, to save that extra $50 bucks.

Not anymore.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:20pm
There's an interesting article in our local paper today. Here's the headline...

Wastewater treatment land not a park, but people use it that way.  I've shown pics of our Icehole Fishermen. Angry  Here are some excerpts of the article.

The 'park'/'not a park' issue was put on the floor by the city staff and council persons in part because of what police chief Joe said were numerous complaints about the locale being the site of public urination and indecent exposure.

The parcel of land has been popular for many years as mostly grassland bound by the treatment facility on one side and trees on the other, and flows down to the channel watercourse.

On the other side of the channel are homes whose property owners have made complaints to law enforcement, which have led to a recent police crackdown and public warning by Chief Joe.

In a press release to the Herald, Chief Joe stated, "It's a privilege to park and walk across the property to gain access. If the complaints continue, the OPD will post the location 'No Trespassing' and access will be denied."
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:30pm

Just the other day, I saw one of these f*ckers standing on my property taking a piss behind my Juniper tree. I was sitting at the dining room table with my binoculars.  I have never reported them, but I have gone out there and yelled at them.  Early one Sunday morning, this dickface started up his gas auger (with no muffler) at 6am.  LOOK!  I was already awake but most people like to sleep in on a Sunday morning.  I'm glad these f*ckers are finally getting what they deserve.  Why don't you losers just buy a piece of waterfront property if you want to invade our space like this?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:21pm

Well, taking the wheel and panels off certainly sounds like a pain in the ass, and I'm sure it is. But what's required with my car is no picnic either.

It might even be a bigger pain because there's just so much more piddly crap to remove.

First there's a bracing strut, then the windshield washer tank for which you need different sized sockets and an extension, next there's the fuse box, then the air filter housing has to come off all before even getting to the battery hold down brace and they're all held in place with hard to get at bolts. That's the real issue. Everything is so tight and cramped and hard to get to.

If you're interested in seeing what I'm talking about, the video below shows the exact year, make and model as my car. It's like 9 minutes long, but the second half is all just putting everything back on, so you'd really only have to watch until 5:40 where he finally lifts the old battery out. Plus, the guy who made it speeds up the video in some places to move it along.

Hence the reason why I was willing to pay someone else to do it for me.

In the old days, I'd have gone through a ton of crap, including riding my bike up to Advance Auto Parts and lugging a new battery back home, to save that extra $50 bucks.

Not anymore.
Yikes.  LOL

And yep, pay someone else to do it.  That's what I do.  I don't have enough time left on this earth to be bothered with crap like that.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 1:03am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Just the other day, I saw one of these f*ckers standing on my property taking a piss behind my Juniper tree. I was sitting at the dining room table with my binoculars.  I have never reported them, but I have gone out there and yelled at them.  Early one Sunday morning, this dickface started up his gas auger (with no muffler) at 6am.  LOOK!  I was already awake but most people like to sleep in on a Sunday morning.  I'm glad these f*ckers are finally getting what they deserve.  Why don't you losers just buy a piece of waterfront property if you want to invade our space like this?

Fix up a pile of nice, hard, frozen snowballs and have them at the ready. Next time they crank that auger up at 6am, start whipping snowballs (or ice balls) at them.

Or better yet, get one of those weatherproof, outdoor deck speakers and mount it up in one of your trees. Hook it up to a CD player. Find the nastiest, most obnoxious rap CD you can. Next time they do some inconsiderate crap like that, put that rap crap on and crank it up.

If that doesn't work, (nowadays there's a 50/50 chance they'll actually like that crap) find a recording of every kind of annoying noise known to man. Babies screaming, horns blaring, Yoko Ono "singing" (come to think of it, you don't even need all the other stuff. Just get a Yoko Ono CD) Then put it on and crank it up full volume and leave it playing the entire time they're out there.

See who outlasts who.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 1:11am

Yikes.  LOL

And yep, pay someone else to do it.  That's what I do.  I don't have enough time left on this earth to be bothered with crap like that.

In all honesty, if I had another form of transportation, like if my old truck was running, and possibly even if I had a nice, spacious covered carport area to work in, I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to get it fixed and probably would have taken my time and done it myself.

I don't mind that kind of thing if I can relax and work at my own pace and leisure.

I'd hate doing it under the gun, though.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 5:58am
Whew!  Scanned nearly a thousand slides over the past three weeks.  Still haven't got to the photo albums...   Shocked
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Whew!  Scanned nearly a thousand slides over the past three weeks.  Still haven't got to the photo albums...   Shocked
It can be worth it if those you do it for appreciate it.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 1:28am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

That's some work, too.

Wear you out after awhile.

Did you put them on cloud storage?

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 6:19am
No, they'll go onto CD's & flash drives.  I really don't trust computers or the internet much anymore.  Wink  Already did a couple thousand other photos & family papers, some going way back to 1830.  Current project is to salvage some brittle strips of film from the 50's & scan whatever pics I can, as they snap just trying to unroll them.  Another few years and they'll crumble anyway, so cutting strips into short lengths at this point isn't going to matter. 

Quote It can be worth it if those you do it for appreciate it.

I'm doing it for me, mostly (because I'll know it was done right Wink)  My brother has no idea how much material there is (which will keep him busy for years... Wink)

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 6:23pm
I put in a special request with management today.  I asked Mama to make a meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!  Good eats!  I don't always get my way.  I'm the one who makes good food available.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 197>
  Share Topic