Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 5:32pm
What! Jimbo wasn't hungry! Wink

I was wrestling with my phone the other day..."you need a new SIM card to change your service provider"

What do I do? These screws are so tiny I'm lucky I have a screwdriver that will work.

I try to pull this little plate off with two screws in it.  One screw goes flying!  F*CK!  I'll never find it!
I have a little trouble light that is really bright, I search the area as best I can.  No luck.  In the mean time I put the phone back together and it still works.  The battery holds that little plate down.

I found that tiny screw right here on my desk the next morning.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Hey Jimbo dub ya...Yes, I know your last initial too! Tongue

We might have a little extra...Have you had lunch yet?  6 hours in the crock pot.

What! Jimbo wasn't hungry!

Holy Crap!!!!

How did I miss that????

I'm ALWAYS hungry!!!!

Guess I'm too late for any of it....

Oh well, time for a sammidge.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 3:55pm
I'm probably not the only one who does this. Go to a drive-thru window and throw the change in my console. We are always pinching pennys at the end of the month.  This month is even worse if things go as I expect.
Mama's annuity payment hits our account early in the morning on the 1st of each month.  F*cking banker's hours!  Seeing how Saturday is the 1st and Monday is a Holiday, we won't get paid until Tuesday!  Angry

The Discover card bill is due on the 4th, I always drop it in the mail on the last day of the month.  I can't guess when they will get the check!  I went ahead and sent the minimum payment just to avoid a late charge or a bounced check.

Back to what I was talking about...I had never used one of those change counters. They have one at our Credit Union.  I'm surprised how fast it is! It's like winning on a slot machine! The number just keeps going up!  I had over $139 in change in my console. We have a jar in the bedroom and I didn't even get the change out of the Edge.  Thumbs Up
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:57pm

I'm probably not the only one who does this. Go to a drive-thru window and throw the change in my console. We are always pinching pennys at the end of the month.  This month is even worse if things go as I expect. Mama's annuity payment hits our account early in the morning on the 1st of each month.  F*cking banker's hours!  Seeing how Saturday is the 1st and Monday is a Holiday, we won't get paid until Tuesday!  Angry

The Discover card bill is due on the 4th, I always drop it in the mail on the last day of the month.  I can't guess when they will get the check!  I went ahead and sent the minimum payment just to avoid a late charge or a bounced check.

Back to what I was talking about...I had never used one of those change counters. They have one at our Credit Union.  I'm surprised how fast it is! It's like winning on a slot machine! The number just keeps going up!  I had over $139 in change in my console. We have a jar in the bedroom and I didn't even get the change out of the Edge.  Thumbs Up

I'm surprised to hear that your Discover bill is due on the 4th. Mine is always due on the 18th and I figured it was a universal thing with everyone.

But as for the possibility of a late payment, I've dealt with their customer service before and they've always been great. Very flexible and easy to work with. I don't know for sure, but if you're ever up against a due date like that again while low on funds, try giving them a call, explain the situation and ask for a one time extension and waiver of the late fee.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:24pm

I don't think my banks ever had one of those.  If I wanted paper for coin, I was supposed to roll it all up and bring it to their counter.  So I'd always just bite the bullet and use the Coinstars at the supermarket.  I think there was an 8% charge.  I had like 30lbs of change at one point.

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:56pm
aka ron,

1.  Online banking.  No checks in the mail.  You choose what day the payment is credited to your account, which can be THE due date.

2.  Change your standing payment due date on Discover.  You should call their customer service number 1-800-347-2683.  You can also do this online.

Easy peasy.  No hassle, no stamps, get online once a month when you get notified via email that your statement is due, check your charges and make sure everything is correct, then schedule the payment to be taken out of the bank account (checking or savings) of your choice, including credit unions.

Smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

aka ron,

1.  Online banking.  No checks in the mail.  You choose what day the payment is credited to your account, which can be THE due date.

2.  Change your standing payment due date on Discover.  You should call their customer service number 1-800-347-2683.  You can also do this online.

Easy peasy.  No hassle, no stamps, get online once a month when you get notified via email that your statement is due, check your charges and make sure everything is correct, then schedule the payment to be taken out of the bank account (checking or savings) of your choice, including credit unions.

Smile

I was going to suggest that, but I know that a lot of people aren't comfortable with online transactions and just say "Thanks but no thanks".

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 5:26am
I'm one of those.  I want everything on paper for my records.  I don't trust electronic storage...

Sorted through 8 large plastic jars of (thousands of) IC chips my dad salvaged, found 3 NE555 chips needed for a project.  Smile  Then tonight...
Joy! Big smile The last drawer of a storage organiser I was checking was full of #741 op amp chips.  Four different kinds, including some mil grade!  Needed these for another part of the project, so plenty for experimenting.  Less things I need to order.  The other parts I'll need are in other jars, just need to sort through them (during TV time...)
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

aka ron,

Smile

I was going to suggest that, but I know that a lot of people aren't comfortable with online transactions and just say "Thanks but no thanks".
Is this like when people were afraid of ATMs and didn't want to risk anything bad happening at a machine?  Then they realized bank hours versus 24 hours a day 7/365 availability was better than waiting in line for a half hour to do transactions in person with a teller?

Nothing bad is going to happen to you online.  Your information is already in the databases.  You are just creating a username and password to access the information that is already available online to the financial institution.  Everything is confirmed via email which you can save.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:50am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

I'm one of those.  I want everything on paper for my records.  I don't trust electronic storage...

My bro's worse than that.  He keeps paper and computer records of all his bills and statements.  He even records the transactions he makes out of his debit/credit accounts.  From what I can tell, the bank/Visa does all of that for me on their website quite efficiently. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:58am
I'm going to go see Asleep at the Wheel tonight.  They're a country/swing band from the 70s.  I used to have one of their albums back way back when.  Just something to do.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm going to go see Asleep at the Wheel tonight.  They're a country/swing band from the 70s.  I used to have one of their albums back way back when.  Just something to do.

Big smileYou will certainly enjoy them - seen them a few times!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Very good!  They didn't do Choo-Choo-Choo-Boogie, though.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 4:30pm

Very good!  They didn't do Choo-Choo-Choo-Boogie, though.

When one gets past the popular songs, sometimes the real musicians and singers can show themselves. Occasionally it can floor a person. We saw Manhattan Transfer in Albany and they left me in shock and gasping for breath before going on a spending binge, grabbing their music.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 4:37pm

We saw Manhattan Transfer in Albany and they left me in shock and gasping for breath before going on a spending binge, grabbing their music.

Albany???

They must've transferred onto the wrong subway.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 4:43pm

We saw Manhattan Transfer in Albany and they left me in shock and gasping for breath before going on a spending binge, grabbing their music.

Albany???

They must've transferred onto the wrong subway.

LOLYukYukYukYeeech!LOLThanks for the 'morning giggle', Sir.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
I was feeling pretty energetic this morning, it depends a lot on how my hip feels too.  The change of seasons just means more outdoor work that needs to be done.  I went out at 7:30 this morning with my electric hedge trimmers.  That's not too early, is it?  Anyway, I'm not sure if I even got around to this last year.  I trimmed all of the bushes and shrubs so that they weren't touching the house.  It's like walking a tightrope, trying to keep my balance while walking on a space the size of a 2 by 4. Cut my arms up a little bit too.

The dog run is overgrown with weeds, I sprayed all of that with Round-Up.  Trimmed some more low hanging branches in the same area.  All and all, that makes a pretty good morning.

Then, Mama gets a text from her mom.  She's having some back pain, the wife is taking her to the ER. She's a tough old gal, I hope it's nothing serious.  I may not see Linda till this evening.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 4:08pm
I can't even fathom the thought of being outside at 7:30 am, much less doing yard work...

Hope your MIL is OK.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 4:22pm
I'm a morning person!

Thanks, Jimbo.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 6:27pm
Last night at approximately 8:50 pm it was exactly one year ago that my mom took her last breath.

Still miss ya, mom!!!

Hope you and dad are happy and doing well.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 2:08am
CryCIH Board singing to its members...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 5:35pm
I just mowed the front lawn, freaking skeeters!  I have a welt on my forearm the size of a quarter.

I started sanding the deck, it was the gnats that were bothering me out there. The belt sander does a good job of removing any loose paint.  The biggest problem is...I do like to get an early start. These clear and cool mornings make for a heavy dew on everything. I can't do much of anything with it until it's dry.  I'll finish the prep work on the right half tomorrow, Mama said she would do the painting.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:59pm

Last night at approximately 8:50 pm it was exactly one year ago that my mom took her last breath.

Still miss ya, mom!!!

Hope you and dad are happy and doing well.

Seriously??!  It's been a year?!  Sympathies.

Hey, I just realized it's been almost a year since cat Mal died.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 11:08pm

I just mowed the front lawn, freaking skeeters!  I have a welt on my forearm the size of a quarter.

I started sanding the deck, it was the gnats that were bothering me out there. The belt sander does a good job of removing any loose paint.  The biggest problem is...I do like to get an early start. These clear and cool mornings make for a heavy dew on everything. I can't do much of anything with it until it's dry.  I'll finish the prep work on the right half tomorrow, Mama said she would do the painting.
Confused...if you sort of just brush that skeeter bite with the belt sander, doesn't that stop the itching?Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 1:03am

Confused...if you sort of just brush that skeeter bite with the belt sander, doesn't that stop the itching?Wink

Yes, but you have to use a very coarse 40 grit belt.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 197>
  Share Topic