Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 9:05am
I'm trying to imagine a tree that fat falling.  The roots must've been practically nonexistent!

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:10pm
I think this old computer is finally crapping out on me.  I don't hear the fan and it smells like something got hot.
I shut it down to let it cool, it seems OK at the moment.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm trying to imagine a tree that fat falling.  The roots must've been practically nonexistent!

Old trees fall down all the time around here.

Mostly because the ground gets soft. But that's usually during the rainy season, which for us, is in the summer.

It hasn't rained for a good couple of months now, so it's anyone's guess as to why that one fell.

Sounds like it was just weakened by rot.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I think this old computer is finally crapping out on me.  I don't hear the fan and it smells like something got hot.

I shut it down to let it cool, it seems OK at the moment.

Sounds like it's time to just accept the fact you need a new one then get yourself a nice laptop.

Only way to go.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 6:07pm
I probably will go with a laptop vs the component tower that I have been using.
If I could figure out this damned Kindle.  I've always been able to log on to this site with it.
I've figured out how to bring up the keyboard in the same window with CIH. I can't get my text to post in the message window. Confused  Does anybody out there use a Kindle?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 8:46pm
I went back to an old favorite snack, Townhouse crackers with Jalapeno cheese spread.

Dammit!  It doesn't matter what time of the day it is...it's always good!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 9:01pm
Sounds good.

I've got a bag of pork rinds and a tub of buffalo ranch dip I been a hankerin' to dig into.

Maybe tomorrow night.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 5:24am
Quote Thor wrote:

It finally died about 4 years ago (I figure it was at least 150 years old, maybe even 200.  It was a big, slow growing oak.)  Had the top 50+ feet cut off (the tree guys wanted another thou for the rest of it, but I said no.) otherwise it would have eventually come down on the house.  The base of the stump rotted out enough below ground to let it fall without tearing out roots.  That left a "crater" about 18 inches deep.  I really miss that tree, it was a nice one...  Cry
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 8:52am
A few years back during a rainstorm, my neighbors had a huge tree (maybe 60ft tall, maybe 4ft at the base) come uprooted and "fall" against their house maybe 20ft away.  Because the roots were still intact, it didn't quite crash; it just came to rest on the eave over their walkway.  Minimal damage to the house.

I think I might've posted a picture of it here.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 3:10pm
When I first moved in here, the lot next door was undeveloped. Nothing there but brush and trees. One day I heard what sounded like firecrackers popping. I pulled back the kitchen curtains just in time to see this huge oak tree finish the last few feet of it's fall to the ground. Landed on top of the fence of the yard over on the opposire side from me.

Prior to them clearing the same lot in order to develop it, and just on the other side of the fence from me, lying on its side, was the trunk of yet another large old oak that had fallen over years earlier before I lived there. Because the roots on one side of it were still in the ground, one of the branches had continued to grow upward out of the side of the remaining section of trunk and had grown into another tree.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 4:53am
The LED 'Merry Christmas' sign is now history.  In it's place is a 1-string, lighted 25 ft PVC pipe arch (a bracing pipe in the back can't be seen when it's dark.  It's about 10 ft high at the center.)  Needs a little fine tuning, but it came out pretty good for an impromptu plan.  Already thinking of a 50 ft one, just need to get some more PVC fittings.  Maybe for next year.  Big smile 
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:15am

Only 10 more feet of log to chop up.  It actually missed the lemon tree when it fell, but then rolled over on it.  Lemon tree is now jacked up straight(-ish), going to take a while to root back in.   And, a 75 foot arch is in the planning stages for next year, just need to find a place to put it...  LOL 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 6:12pm
What kind of arch are you going to build?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

What kind of arch are you going to build?

Maybe a (St Louis) Gateway Arch?

Or a (McDonalds) Golden Arch?

Or an Arch de Triomphe, maybe?

An Arch of Constantine?

A Washington Square Arch even?

Probably not an arch enemy.

Or an Arch Bishop or Arch Duke.

Maybe a Gothic Arch.

Those are all the "arch" references I can think of offhand.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 7:25pm
^LOL

Mr. T. What is the purpose of this arch-way?

Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 8:56pm
Ahhhhhhh yes, how could I forget COOKIES!!!!!

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 4:37am
Quote What kind of arch are you going to build?

PVC pipe.  The main arch gets lights wrapped around it, the rear support arch stays plain and disappears into the dark.  Basically it's a 3 point structure.  Then I'll stick a lighted tree underneath it.  I may not even wait a year to put it up, but may do a test run first, as the thing is just stuck in my imagination...  LOL

Quote Mr. T. What is the purpose of this arch-way?

Christmas display.  It's a much better idea than the large lighted globe I tried over 25 years ago (boy, did that light up the neighborhood... LOL  )
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:32pm
It's a balmy 25° outside right now. Sweeeet!

I got lucky this morning, I should have called the old wood guy on Saturday.
I called at 8:35 this morning to see if I could buy some firewood.
If I had called 5 minutes later I would have had to wait till tomorrow because he was heading out.

I was down to the last few pieces of wood...There is a chance for rain and/or freezing rain and even more snow the next 4 days.  I'll just wait for the next morning that there is no precipitation to unload the truck.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:42pm
It's been a busy morning here at the aka ranch.

Laundry, dishes and we have 3+ inches of fresh snow. It's supposed to get up to 37° today.
It was imperative that I move the snow as soon as possible, the machine does not do well with slushy snow.

The engine usually starts very easily, 2nd or 3rd pull. I pulled it once and *SNAP*. There goes the pull rope! Damn!
I probably have some pull rope here....I was able to just reattach the handle without replacing the rope.

I still have to plow Leah's area and make way for more firewood.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Hell, if they want to be known for lower prices, just start giving the stuff away...  LOL
And make up for the losses in volume.Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 6:40pm
I've had one of the kinds of mornings today that I occasionally experience and that I always hate.

I usually wake up around 8 or 9, but sometimes I'll have a sinus headache or an ache in the back of my neck and head from sleeping in the wrong position. Maybe both sometimes. My neck feels stiff and my entire head just kind of aches.

To make it worse, accompanying the headache is a mild sense of nausea and no appetite whatsoever.

Both of these conditions usually last all morning and into early afternoon.

What pisses me off the most is that I can't have my damned breakfast and coffee until my appetite comes back, which often times isn't until after 1 pm.

It's now about 1:40 pm and I just finished my "breakfast" about 10 minutes ago. If there's one thing I look forward to everyday, it's my breakfast and a cup of coffee and I do not enjoy having to wait until after lunch to have it.

Pisses me off.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 6:50pm
I don't know why, but I trouble falling asleep when I'm laying on my back.

I like to lay on either my left or right side...this causes pain in both shoulders.
My sore hip is having some effect on this also. I promised Mama I would call the doctor this week.

After my day, I'm not too far away from doing that.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:06pm

I don't know why, but I trouble falling asleep when I'm laying on my back.

I like to lay on either my left or right side...this causes pain in both shoulders.

My sore hip is having some effect on this also. I promised Mama I would call the doctor this week.

After my day, I'm not too far away from doing that.

I have to be practically falling asleep on my feet before I can fall asleep on my back.

I prefer sleeping on my right side.

If joint/hip pain makes it difficult to sleep on your side and you find it hard to sleep on your back, you might consider getting a foam wedge to elevate your torso and head.

Really makes it easier to sleep on your back.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:20pm
^That's good thinking...I was thinking about bringing my Teeter inversion table back inside from the garage. The elliptical is out there too. I could use some exercise as well.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:22pm

^That's good thinking...I was thinking about bringing my Teeter inversion table back inside from the garage. The elliptical is out there too. I could use some exercise as well.

Several years ago, I began having problems with sleep apnea. Every time I'd start dropping off to sleep while lying in bed, I'd suddenly feel like I couldn't breathe and I'd wake up. The process would repeat itself over and over until I finally started feeling so claustrophobic I couldn't lie in bed any longer.

So I got up and went into the living room to sit in my recliner for awhile and clear my head. Sat down, got comfortable and the next thing I knew, I was waking up the next morning, feeling rested after a good night's sleep.

From then on, I started sleeping in the recliner every night. Did that for a few years before I went back to sleeping prone again.

I also found that sleeping in the chair cured my lower back pain.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 197>
  Share Topic