Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SNL tonight Feb 14, 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SNL tonight Feb 14, 2015
    Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 4:48am
They're rerunning the very first episode from October 1975 in full.

The George Carlin football/baseball monologue, Billy Preston doing "Nothing From Nothin Leaves Nothin".

Right now Andy Kaufman is doing the Mighty Mouse thing.

I wish they'd do an entire season of nothing but reruns from the 70's.

Let that current crop of no talents take a year off.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 5:10am

VH1 Classic, during the past several weeks, has been airing almost nothing but SNLs.  Right now, Gilda Radner and Steve Martin are dancing in a skit from Season 3.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 1:08am

Struggled to stay awake till the show started.  Succeeded!  Then, promptly fell asleep 10 minutes into it.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 1:20am
Saw the opening for the 40th Anniversary special got a few scenes of 1WTC in there also old video of the Times Square in the 1980s/1970s. They managed to squeeze in a scene of the old WTC from the FDR. Wow!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 1:28am
I'll be missing the SNL special because of Downton Abbey.

Besides, after seeing Matt Lauer & whoever that chirpy little blonde was who was with him, I decided I probably couldn't stomach all that hooray for us, goody-two shoes, self-congratulatory back patting anyway.  

Maybe it will be on the NBC website.

Or on YouTube, etc.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:17am

I have that first episode on right now on VH1 Classic, but I gotta head out in a bit to my weekly Walking Dead thing.

Andy Kaufman did Mighty Mouse.  I love that.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:18am
There was a segment where they showed a lot of the old WTC Twin Towers, at least they acknowledged they existed. Then transitioned into the September 20, 2001 show. They just showed The Californians only funny part was Betty White. I hate that sketch!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:35am
They just played the Colon Blow commercial!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:42am
Did they do the Autumn Fizz Douche commercial?

That was a good one.

Or Lord & lady Douchebag....

LOL

C'mon, man!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:45am
Kanye West is performing. Joy.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 4:44am
Figures.

Just another reason to not watch it.

Sick

C'mon, man!
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 6:49am
I remember watching those old SNL shows.  Back when SNL first started, the PBS affiliate ran Monty Python a half hour before SNL came on.  I would watch Monty Python on PBS, and then switch to NBC to watch the classic SNL.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:38pm
Our PBS station ran Python on Sunday night.

My friend Bobby & I used to get high, then come back to my (family's) house & watch it.

I didn't start watching SNL until around '78.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:34pm
I finally saw the earlier episodes, I was going to post an article and "The Update" from last night.
I'm just not that impressed, was there anything good about the show? That's past my bedtime.
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:44pm
^ There are many reviews online and are mostly accurate.  My favorite things about the SNL 40th Anniversary:

Paul McCartney performing "Maybe I'm Amazed" singing and playing piano, with his backup band.  Paul's voice was a little shot, allegedly now revealed from having performed the night before, but even so, it was a treat.  Funnily enough, he could hit the high notes!  His band was great too.

Miley Cyrus performing Paul Simon's (he was a guest on the show) "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover."  Believe it or not, she can sing!  She has a great voice.  She performed the song well, with a little bit o' country in there, and the outfit she wore was beautiful.  Nothing skanky about her last night.  I was surprised at her talent and enjoyed the song.

Keith Richards came out onstage, but only to introduce Paul McCartney (reviewed above).  It would've been intriguing if he could have picked up a guitar and jammed with someone or played in a skit.

Wayne's World was back, and they did a top 10 list of what's great about SNL, poking fun of Kanye West, who was in the audience, begging him not to rush the stage.  It was pretty funny.  The top best thing about SNL?  The crew!  That was very sweet and appreciative of them to give the top prop to the crew, the behind-the-scenes people who make the show happen.

It was a lot of fun to see everyone again.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:44pm
My favorite one was the Jeopardy sketch with Will Farrell, Norm MacDonald, and whoever played Sean Connery! I laughed so hard I could hardly hear what they were saying!!!!!!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:56pm
Thanks PeachBlossom, for the most info I've seen today.

AdN,  I LOVE celebrity Jeapardy, Sean Connery was fantastic.

Or at least that's what your mom said....LOL
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:02pm
^ Celebrity Jeopardy was really funny!  How about Justin Bieber played by Kate McKinnon?  Another treat:  Betty White, although the skit The Californians was a bit dense to me.  (Come on, not all Californians talk like that!)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:19pm
Did they do the Joe Montana - Phil Hartman - Jan Hooks "Honest Man" sketch?

Possibly the funniest one of the entire 40 years.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

Another treat:  Betty White, although the skit The Californians was a bit dense to me.  (Come on, not all Californians talk like that!)

Just watched that.  No, not all Californians speak like that.  But if someone is speaking like that, chances are they're Californian.  Southern Californian, mostly.

I got a kick how they referred to Rtes 101 and 110 as "the 101" and "the 110".  That's such a SoCal thing.  Nothing wrong with it, but it's usually a dead giveaway.  Kinda like how "down the shore" is something only someone from Jersey would say.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:33pm
In 1975, when SNL premiered p[eople inb the Detroit didn't get to see this series because the Detroit NBC Affiliate (WDIV) decised not to show it, and showed old movies. (Those who lived in the Southeast of Town (Called "Downriver by those who lived there), could pick it up on Toledo Ohio's Affiliate. For those who couldn't pick up the signal, they didn't get the opportunity to see the first season until it came out on DVD (In the spring of 1975 I found an old Antenna someone discarded at the curbside, to be picked up by the garbagemen). I took it home and fastened it to a tree in my backyard about 60 feet up, from it  not only could pick up  the Toledo Stations, but also stations in Flint and Lansing, Michigan and stations in Cleveland Ohio and Sarnia Ontario! You don't know how many times I'd be watching something interesting on one of those stations when one of my parents would yell "BILL! Thunder!" and I'd HAVE to undo the antenna from my set, lest it be a "Lightning Rod"! Five years later when my town got cable the rig came down and was disposed. Little did I know what would happen 27 years later!
Poiuyt Power!!!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:36pm
I first heard the SoCal thing in Heat, but wasn't totally sure what the "the" was for.  Once I learned in another thread here a while back that down there they refer to highways and whatnot as "THE ____," I made more sense of what De Niro's line meant.  Michael Mann apparently did his research on the regional dialect or is a native from there. 

(from 0:20 to 025 or specifically)

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 10:32pm
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

That is sickingly funny! I love Mr. Bill!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 4:05am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I finally saw the earlier episodes, I was going to post an article and "The Update" from last night.
I'm just not that impressed, was there anything good about the show? That's past my bedtime.

I turned on the DVR at 10:30 and went to bed. I'm watching the hour I missed now. It has some good stuff and some not so much.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic