Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have you ever been a victim of Identity Theft?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you ever been a victim of Identity Theft?
    Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 4:44pm
Just in time for Tax Filing Season, I decided to start this thread. I was a victim of Identity Theft almost two years ago. On April 12th, 2013, I finally decided to go file my taxes. I got a call from my tax filer the next day, and immediately knew something was wrong. I remembered thinking, "No way in hell are they calling me to tell me my refund money is already available."

Turns out, my suspicion that something was wrong was confirmed when my tax filer informed me that some con artist already stole my tax information and stole my refund money. I was livid! I was wondering how the hell they got my tax information in the first place as I had that information. I rushed over to my tax filer office and signed a paper stating that someone had used my identity and tax information to steal my refund money. I got my refund money in late 2013.

My family had kept urging me to file months before April, but I brushed it off, breezily saying, "I can wait til April to do it. I'm the only one who has the tax information." I was so incredibly naive. My family allowed me to learn my lesson all on my own. When I was told my refund money was stolen, I immediately called my mother, who said, "We told you months ago to file your taxes. We knew there was a possibility of this happening. Hopefully you learned your lesson not to wait until April anymore."

In 2014, I filed my taxes within days of getting my tax information, no longer waiting months to do it. I learned my lesson.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Sponsored Links

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 5:21pm
Yeah, people who claim to be someone they aren't are real dicks.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 6:48pm

In 2004 I became a victim of identity theft. It is no laughing matter and a gigantic pain in the tail to correct (if you can ever really get it corrected). It is also part of the reason I do not maintain any accounts in any U.S. banks any longer - there are safer, more intelligent banking environments. More expensive, but well worth it.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:06pm
PaWolf, how did your Identity get stolen?
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:09pm
It was me,
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

PaWolf, how did your Identity get stolen?
It started when the Missus made an approved (not easy to get) purchase across the Internet. Soon thereafter, I started noticing minute discrepancies in our personal checking account (which was in a nation-wide Cleveland-based bank). Fractions of a cent were electronically disappearing from it, then weird amounts. Went through the entire fraud process (you do not get access to any disputed monies until judgement in your favor - and that can take a year) and closed all accounts there and in other U.S. banks when I got a little more familiar with regulatory processes.
I now like banking in countries where perpetrators are regularly marched into town square, made to kneel, and then shot in the back of the head - but I have to follow the 'terror watch lists' (which changes monthly or based on events) to ensure my chosen banks are based in countries designated as 'Friends of the U.S. of Americo'.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 8:10pm
Wow. That sucks, PaWolf. Lots of people are wary of buying stuff over the internet, and your story is a prime deterrent to not buy stuff over the internet.....

peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

LOL Tongue Wink Clap
Good one DKS!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

LOL Tongue Wink Clap
Good one DKS!
Note for our 'Low-Hanging Fruit Grabbers': This IS actually an 'interesting topic'. There might be something *somebody* may have to offer - something others may learn from.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 11:25pm

Someone once used my credit card info to make a few purchases in Maryland.  One was about $290 and the other was maybe $6.  My credit card company fixed the whole problem, no sweat.  I think all I had to do was sign some form that they sent me (and then await a new card).  It might've helped that just minutes prior to those purchases in Maryland, I'd made one of my own at a store near me.

I'd have liked to find out who the bastard was, but for $300, I doubt the credit card company's gonna investigate.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 12:41am
In Donny's case, I cannot see how filing late had anything to do with his identity theft. I filed late last year...
Earlier this week there was some kind of breech at BB&T- was on the news. I was declined using my debit card at Food Lion. My first thought was I'd been hacked and the next day be at the bank closing accounts as my tax return is being direct deposited there.Angry 
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 12:59am
Last year the wife filed our taxes and the IRS said she had already done so. We found out that someone had filed under her name.

In 2004 when I was a recruiter in the armpit of the east coast (New Jersey) I kept getting pulled over by the cops. They'd go through the usual license, registration stuff and let me go on my way. As a recruiter I had to get arrest records from the local departments so most of the cops in the area knew who I was. I finally asked one of them why they kept stopping me at seemingly random intervals. Some guy had been using MY NAME and information and holding up stores. I got it cleared up but never found out what happened to the dude, since I left for Germany shortly after that.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 1:17am
Tiz, the scammer filed under my name in February 2013. I filed in April 2013. They had already gotten their hands on my tax information two months before I filed.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:33pm
^^ So your social security number has been compromised - that fiend. What if anything have you done to fix this?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:38pm

I'd hate to have to get a new SS#.  I got this one when I was 14.  I've had it 45 years.  It'd feel odd having a different #.  Plus, it seems like it'd cause major hassles down the road.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 10:42pm
Not yet but I suspect Jimbo has been very recently.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 11:08pm
Thor, the IRS gave me my own PIN number to file with last year, and will give me a new PIN for this year

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:43am

DKS, I know that was a subtle dig at me, but I have never stolen someone's identity. There is a huge difference between pretending to be a non existent person(What I used to do on CIH) and pretending to be a real life person and stealing their money.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:07pm

DKS, I know that was a subtle dig at me, but I have never stolen someone's identity. There is a huge difference between pretending to be a non existent person(What I used to do on CIH) and pretending to be a real life person and stealing their money.

I didn't think it was that subtle. And see, the thing is, you've established yourself as a liar over and over, so I doubt you've ever had your identity stolen, either. BTW, what kinda tax refund do you get from selling lollipops in strip clubs?
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 7:00pm
Well, I only sold lollipops in a strip club because I was two days away from payday and was desperate....

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:59pm

Thor, the IRS gave me my own PIN number to file with last year, and will give me a new PIN for this year
QuestionQuestion Your S.S. # is compromised.

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 11:29am
Well, Tiz, the IRS knows everybody's social security number.....

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 12:03am
State tax refund? Someone out there has your SS #. He can go apply for credit cards, car loans, anything. Bothered to check your credit report since this happened? 
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:18am
Tiz, I tried to get a credit card, and was declined because I have no Credit History.....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic