Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dish Network's SLING Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dish Network's SLING Service
    Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 5:15pm
Dish Network starting a new stand-along service called SLING. It offers 12 channels, including CNN, ESPN and HGTV (I only watch the last one once a year, on January 1 when they televise the Tournament of Roses Parade WITHOUT COMMERCIALS!)Big smile for a flat fee of $20 a month. I'm considering subscribing to this, after going without Pay-TV for the past eight year. Are any of you considering this service? Post away my friends!

PS I'll have to wait until April before I make my final decision, this past October my lawnmower diedDead, and it will take at least another three months before I have sufficient funds for a new one. LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 11:13pm
12 channels? What a scam. We are not living in 1981 anymore! Back then there was enough cable channels to fill up ch 2-13 on a cable box. CNN, HBO, Showtime, very early MTV maybe, WTBS. 

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 11:37pm
http://www.npr.org/2015/01/26/379440654/intended-for-millennials-dishs-sling-tv-is-a-cord-cutters-dream

I dunno about this deal, Reg. According to this article, Sling doesn't have the network channels - abc,nbc and cbs. To watch the news you'd have to set rabbit ears back up.
Who is your internet provider and do they have cable tv also?
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:31am
My provider does have Direct TV, but it's an additional $90 a month, so to heck with that. As for 'Rabbit Ears" I can rustle up a set for CHEAP (I hear sometimes somebody GIVES these things away, so I'll wait till one comes in my neck of the woods. 
Poiuyt Power!!!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:04am
Don't even bother with local channels ourselves, anyway even with Dish we get AMARILLO news instead of Albuquerque (Not a major issue, but a bit silly to get news from another State. :P)

The Inclusion of Disney Channel is a bit annoying since I already am annoyed having a block of channels I never even WANT to look at. I think - like someone else in the comments on the NPR link said - it's the kind of thing that should be waited on until Al a Carte channels become available. I'd rather get Cartoon Network instead of Disney without having to buy the $5 additional kids package.

I wouldn't mind so much, but some of the very few shows I like to watch regularly don't get subtitles uploaded online, or not regularly at least, so I do depend on seeing them live.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:31am
I'd consider it, but only if it comes with no pop-up ads or squeezed credits. I can live with the network bugs.

Anyone know if Sling "channels" come without the intrusions?
The poster formerly known as producer757
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/26/379440654/intended-for-millennials-dishs-sling-tv-is-a-cord-cutters-dream

I dunno about this deal, Reg. According to this article, Sling doesn't have the network channels - abc,nbc and cbs. To watch the news you'd have to set rabbit ears back up.
Yea Reg...I have to agree with Tizzer's points, having spent a week with my daughter who had multiple flatscreens, but only got REDBOX via her XBOX. I'm one who sort of likes to catch the news...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 1:31pm
I'm still sitting on the fence for this one (I'm not in real a hurry to get this), in the meantime I have lots and lots and lots of programming to chew on.  LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:44pm
Hmm. Now you've got me kinda interested. I'd still have to keep cable for the network channels, but to add some of the channels like TNT, TBS, IFC, Maker and EPIX would be nice to have. Comcast wants an extra $45 a month for the next package up just to be able to get around the 5 channels that I would actually watch. $20 doesn't sound so bad. 
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:35pm

^  I have Comcast---"Digital Preferred".  The next level down has almost all the channels I watch, but it doesn't have all the on-screen guides and stuff.  In a way, I'm paying the extra $ for the guides.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:48pm
That's strange. I have digital economy and I get the guides. If I didn't, I'd just use the tablet for the guide and remote. Comcrap just sucks.

Edit: If only this Sling thing included the basic network channels like ABC, NBC, CBS and CW, I'd switch and save some cash. 

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:54pm
No network channels? That's a deal breaker for me!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I thought over the air TV went digital and rabbit ears were no longer functional. When I went DISH 13 years ago I repurposed my rabbit ears as an excellent FM radio antenna.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 7:28pm
I've decided not to get this. What would prevent them from adding more channels (and then jacking up the rates)? And there are still the INSANE amount of advertising to cope with. Dead No Thanks! When Cable first came to my town in 1980 There were 20 extra channels for $20.00 a month, including HBO, Showtime and The Movie Channel ($8.00 without the "Premium" Channels). Now its $159.00 a month, WITHOUT the "Premium Channels". Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, SHAME ON ME! Angry

My programming has been commercial-free for these last 8 1/4 years, and I LIKE IT THIS WAY (Not to mention I save almost $100.00 a month)! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

My programming has been commercial-free for these last 8 1/4 years, and I LIKE IT THIS WAY (Not to mention I save almost $100.00 a month)! LOL
Somehow, it always comes back to this. We know. Tongue
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 3:34pm
Been saying this forever: I want to choose my own personal favorite channels "à la carte," and pay for only them. But we all know that's never gonna happen.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 3:45pm

^  Wouldn't that make it such that only the most popular channels would survive?

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 3:57pm
Same here. It's stupid to give me all these extra channels that I'll never watch and then turn around and charge me an extra $45 a month for the few extra channels that I would. In the short term they make more money, but in the long term they actually lose potential profit from people like me who just won't do it. Just let me sign up for your first tier package and let me substitute some channels for others. Hell, charge me fifty cents or so a month for each substitution. I'd gladly pay the little extra to have something I'll actually use, and they'd make a little more money off me than they normally would. Everybody is happy. It'll never happen. Things like this will hopefully be their downfall. Especially since we are starting to see more live tv streaming tv services such as SLING and Playstation Vue. More power to them.

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Wouldn't that make it such that only the most popular channels would survive?

Yes. Which is precisely why I said it's never going to happen.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yes. Which is precisely why I said it's never going to happen.

Bear in mind their customers are quitting them at a record pace. More and more households are deciding that streaming services such as Hulu and Netflix among other means are a much better value them Pay-TV is. They are also reaching what is called a "Price Plateau" which is the point that nobody will pay for their product, rich or poor. That is bad news for them. because if they DON'T go a-la-carte they'll simply collapse.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I thought over the air TV went digital and rabbit ears were no longer functional. When I went DISH 13 years ago I repurposed my rabbit ears as an excellent FM radio antenna.

It did. Here, one needs a digital converter box. A coaxial cable screws into the tv(from that box) and then plugs into an outlet. The box has antennae just like rabbit ears. Around $30(?) for the box.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:12am
Bumping this to again ask whether the channels on SLING have popups or squeezed credits, or any of that other junk? Even at $20, I'm not paying for intrusions.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:12pm
You're not gonna get anything here.

Go to the comments and post your question there - or some place like that.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 3:44am
Good point. Thanks.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 11:11pm
I got the free trial. You get to watch the shows in real time (for the most part...I don't believe ESPN has ads). Other than that, you get the same commercials, bugs, etc. 

Haven't decided whether I'll keep it...after sitting thru an IFC commercial break that seemed to take forever, I'm leaning towards no.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic