Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Amazing how a show in the '70s relates today...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amazing how a show in the '70s relates today...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing how a show in the '70s relates today...
    Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 11:29am
I was watching some episodes of Good Times, and it is truly amazing how the issues that affected the episodes in a show that started in 1974 is still relevant today, 41 years later.

Florida says, "Food is up, gas is up, and employment is down. In Washington DC, they still haven't gotten down to the ups that are keeping us down." Could be said in 2015.

Mad Dog was a belligerent, angry youth Gang member who shot someone, and wasn't given jail time, just because the jail was too overcrowded. "Plenty of guns, but no place to put the kids who use them in," was actually said in the episode by a judge in disgust. This could be 2015.

In one episode. a girl catfished Michael into thinking she was an active runner. She used a CB radio to do her Cat fishing. When she showed up to Michael's house, he was shocked that she was in a wheelchair and she admitted she lied to seem more interesting to him. She even said,"Over the CB, you can be anyone you want to be. CB was obviously the Facebook of today. In the 70s, you could catfish someone with a CB Radio. In 2015, you can Catfish with a Facebook Account.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:38pm

Daisy Dukes still look good...just not on Daisy Duke herself.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 4:01pm
I watch a lot of those old 70's shows & it truly is amazing how so many of the issues are still the same.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I watch a lot of those old 70's shows & it truly is amazing how so many of the issues are still the same.

The more things the more things remain the same.

In 1980 I was almost kicked out of a library because I broke into a HOWLING laugh when I stumbled across an article while doing research for a term paper. It was a History Class, and the instructor made everybody draw an assignment for their term paper from a bag. I drew one for the Atmospheric Tests of Atomic and Hydrogen Bombs from 1945 to the (Then) present. As most of you know, a little something called the Internet wasn't available, so I had to scan newspaper reports for articles. The article that tickled my funny bone was an article about a controversial movie that was playing in movie theatres in 1949. A group called the "League of Decency" wanted this motion picture BANNED because it showed (Oh, The HORROR!) a Baby's BARE BEHIND! Shocked At the time I found that article, a remake of that particular film (That didn't score points with with a group called the "Moral Majority". The movie was (Drum roll Please?)...

The Blue Lagoon!
Fortunately, the librarian had a good sense of humor, and I was let off with a warning. (Whew!)

From that day forward I vowed, if Time Travel ever becomes a reality, I'd grab a copy of the 1980 version, travel back to 1949, find a theatre showing the original and SWITCH THE COPIES on the unsuspecting audience! LOL

The Moral Majority has long faded into the past, but another group, the Parent's Television Council, has since taken their place. Like I said, the more things change, the more things remain the same! Clap
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:05am

Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

From that day forward I vowed, if Time Travel ever becomes a reality, I'd grab a copy of the 1980 version, travel back to 1949, find a theatre showing the original and SWITCH THE COPIES on the unsuspecting audience!

If I was going to travel back to 1949 to switch an old movie with an early 80's Brooke Shields movie, I would switch it with Pretty Baby.

That would raise a few 1949 eyebrows.

And a few other things.... 

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:29am
I always felt Marvin Gaye's What's Going On was highly relevant more than 40 years later.

As for Good Times, it's relevant, but I always felt the dialogue was so damn preachy and unrealistic, as in no one talked like that. Case in point, the OP's example about "Food is up, gas is up..." Seemed to be a trend of Norman Lear shows in the 70s...

That said, you still have a lot of liberal-conservative arguments like Mike Stivic and Archie Bunker nowadays...and they're just as volatile, if not worse. Except they're now on Facebook.
The poster formerly known as producer757
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 5:01am
Quote In one episode. a girl catfished Michael into thinking she was an active runner. She used a CB radio to do her Cat fishing. When she showed up to Michael's house, he was shocked that she was in a wheelchair and she admitted she lied to seem more interesting to him. She even said,"Over the CB, you can be anyone you want to be. CB was obviously the Facebook of today. In the 70s, you could catfish someone with a CB Radio. In 2015, you can Catfish with a Facebook Account.

If he'd shown up at her house, as soon as he walked through the door he'd hear:

"Hi, I'm Chris Hansen from NBC Dateline..."  LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:43am

From that day forward I vowed, if Time Travel ever becomes a reality, I'd grab a copy of the 1980 version, travel back to 1949, find a theatre showing the original and SWITCH THE COPIES on the unsuspecting audience!

If I was going to travel back to 1949 to switch an old movie with an early 80's Brooke Shields movie, I would switch it with Pretty Baby.

No, my rules say you have an R-rated REMAKE of a movie you were traveling back in time to do your "Switcheroo". Big smile Bear in mind back in the 1940s there was a little something called "The Hayes Code" that dictated what a movie could have or not have (And the original version did pudh the envelope a bit). Shocked After switching the films, I'd sit outside the theatre and see how long it takes for the cops to arrive and RAID the venue! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:51am
Mr. Tim, about that, I wonder if a pedophile could argue in court that since the "11" year old turned out to be a 20 year old, they were really talking to an adult... I remember a 20 year old pretending to be a child on the internet, in order to catch people who would fall for it. She said, "I pretended to be a child on the internet, and some guy begun to play with himself. All I could think of was some innocent little kid, like my 10 year old sister having to see that."

Technically, since she really was an adult he was talking too, in the gray area of the law, he could be excused jail time since he wasn't really showing himself to a child. The fact that he really would have shown himself to a child may be considered irrelevant since there was no actual child present. Gray law for you.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:53am

No, my rules are that the movie you are about to switch versions on must first follow a little something called "The Hayes Code" this code mandated what a motion picture could or could not have (This code was tossed out in the 1960s and replaced with the one we have today (That's G, PG, PG-13, R and NC-17 (Originally called "X") for those of you in Rio Linda!). After switching the films I'd hang outside the theatre and see how long it takes for the cops to arrive and RAID the venue! LOL

On the other hand, since most theatres back then had double features (Along with cartoons. shorts, newsreels and serials - People would spend all day in the theatre), I could slip Pretty Baby in as the "B" Movie. Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 12:21am
In one episode. a girl catfished Michael into thinking she was an active runner. She used a CB radio to do her Cat fishing. When she showed up to Michael's house, he was shocked that she was in a wheelchair and she admitted she lied to seem more interesting to him. She even said,"Over the CB, you can be anyone you want to be. CB was obviously the Facebook of today. In the 70s, you could catfish someone with a CB Radio. In 2015, you can Catfish with a Facebook Account.
I must not had been groovy or hip enough - just never heard of this "catfishing" term before.Wink
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 1:20am
It came from some stupid MTV show, I think (I only know this because it came up in a 'contemporary social issues" class I only took to fill a requirement) It basically ammounts to the idea of pretending to be someone you aren't with the purpose of fooling a person for financial, emotional, or some other type of gain.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 3:06am
People died in '70's shows for all the same reasons they do today - but they didn't bleed back then.
People also had to go to the bathroom on occasion in the '70's shows, but the bathrooms were a heck of a lot better hidden because we never saw them.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 3:42am
When my cousin was 12, she Catfished a 28 year old man online by claiming she was a 27 year old woman. They exchanged numbers. She had a mature voice for a 12 year old, and used it to her advantage.

My Aunt caught on when she came to their house early one day, and my cousin hung up the phone. The man assumed the hang up was a mistake and called right back. My Aunt answered the phone and told him that my cousin was a child and was only 12 and he needed to stop talking to her. He didn't believe her, so she forced my cousin to tell her real age, and the man cussed her out and never called her again. My Aunt slammed the computer on the floor, rendering it useless.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 5:12am
Originally posted by D D wrote:

I wonder if a pedophile could argue in court that since the "11" year old turned out to be a 20 year old, they were really talking to an adult

That "defense" has no doubt been tried many times, but police 'Catch a Predator' stings usually have more than enough evidence to prove intent & get a conviction.

But back to TV shows:  Good thing there's lots of script writers out there, otherwise we'd be flooded with remakes like the movie industry is doing.  Though there is no doubt quite a bit of TV material that could be mined for that.  Everything old is new again...  Wink
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:58am
^Erm, to be fair, American TV is wrought with remakes...they just happen to mostly be remakes of overseas programmes.

Which is sad in a way, because a lot of the originals are amazing in their own right, and mostly are superior or as good in a different way as the American ones. Though in some cases it's been an utter rape and defacing of the original (March of the Penguins, the 75 Fawlty Towers remake-attempts...The blackedy version od Death at a Funeral to name a few)
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

It came from some stupid MTV show, I think (I only know this because it came up in a 'contemporary social issues" class I only took to fill a requirement) It basically ammounts to the idea of pretending to be someone you aren't with the purpose of fooling a person for financial, emotional, or some other type of gain.

Thank you for the clarification. The first thing that came to mind was the idiots that catch a huge catfish by letting it swallow their arm.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 12:59am
Catfishing ?
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 1:35am
I don't think he'll catch that one by sticking his fist in it....
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 1:39am
Looks like quite a popular fishing "hole"!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 4:27am

Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. The first thing that came to mind was the idiots that catch a huge catfish by letting it swallow their arm.

It's called "noodling".  Saw a documentary on it once.  Interesting, but not something I'd do unless I'm close to starving.  Don't try to catch fish like that in the ocean, though.  Almost all saltwater fish have teeth,  unlike their freshwater cousins.

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 1:44pm
Also, in Good Times, Bernadette and Jimmie were 21 and 27 when they played a 15 and a 16 year old, a trend still going on today.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic