Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Amsterdam Vodka

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Amsterdam Vodka
    Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 2:26am
There is a current ad for this brand of vodka, and the ad features a bunch of trendy hipsters partying at a darkly lit club. There is also a crusty looking old black man hanging out with the kids, this ad creeps me out.
It also features some very annoying music.
I hate these trendy ads, and there's no damn way I'd ever like to hang out with a bunch of drunken hipsters!
May they all be busted for dwi after their little party.
One man gathers what another man spills
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 2:48am
Sounds dumb.

Shame, they have to resort to hackneyed tactics for a vodka with such a cool name of "New Amsterdam". New Amsterdam is such a cool name.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Cross Traffic View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cross Traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 4:53am
It seems to be on every NHL game the past couple weeks. Hipster vodka.
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:34am
I Googled this to see what it was.

The YouTube video has an age confirmation thing on it (Why?) so if the YT link doesn't work, try Googling.

DAMN!  The song featured in the ad is "Moneygrabber" by Fitz and the Tantrums.  (Never heard of them but then I'm not a hipster.)

This song is a total rip of ABC's  "The Look of Love" intro.  Compare yourself!  Angry

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 6:10am
Dang, that's a sh*tty ad.

Still, I do like this vodka. Nothing fancy, but it's better than most of the swill that gets drowned in artificial oils to mask the taste of disinfectant, and works well with mixing.

Still, has Vodka really been anything other than the get pissed quick drink?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 6:38am

I looked at a few of the New Amsterdam commercials on iSpot.  They're all pretty much like this one.  Not at all interesting.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 10:28am
Fermented potato juice is hip? Vodka by itself is a pretty uninteresting and unappealing drink.
Having said that, maybe I'm getting cranky and opinionated these days. I REALLY do not like 'drinking' advertisements - like cigarettes, nothing very good comes from drinking and I do not like the idea of influencing our youth to risk life & license just because they want to try the newest 'Jekyll & Hyde' juice. It is so easy to tell when someone is on their way to getting hammered and I just don't like trying to deal with the semi-irrational (unless I'm one of them, but then I only want to enjoy the company of responsible adults).
Why advertise unhealthy and addictive substances and practices? Why does this remind me of The Lion King's 'Circle of Life'? First, yaz go out, drink the booze...then ya fail the tests at the checkpoint (did you miss the T.V. PSA?)...then ya go out and get some lawyer Judge Joe Brown is hawking on the idiot box (to handle your impending court case for DUI and divorce)...then ya meet Pax Prentiss at 'Passages Malibu' to get all rehabbed...then ya join a dating site and hook up with new bed music and decide to go out and celebrate, maybe try that next great-sounding drink ya saw on t.v....and here we go again....what's wrong in this picture? Clown
~~~
Oh yea...the New Amsterdam Vodka commercials indeed DO suck....and, no - I'm not a 'tea-totaller'; I do hoist the occasional beverage of choice (beer...but they do NOT sell my Molsons Ice down here)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 1:40pm

^  You might wanna be prepared for the marijuana advertisements which I'm sure will be forthcoming at some point.  Here in CA, only medical marijuana is legal, but there were commercials for it a few years ago...real basic, cheap commercials, but commercials nevertheless.

I've liked some of the Heineken and Southern Comfort commercials from the past few years.  I posted about a few.  I don't really care whether or not this stuff is advertised, but a good commercial's a good commercial.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 6:45pm
I'm not really moved by these ads, from the prices I've found for this vodka, it's a bottom shelf product.
I've been looking at ratings and I have found some interesting names for these domestic brands.

CH@T  A gold medal winner
Literary Dog  LOL  I love that.
Black Mule   No relation to the old mule  Wink
Dude    DUDE!!!!
Indigenous Apple  This is from NY State, The Mad couple should try it.
Vixen  I won't comment on this one.

Oh, there was an import called 'Bacon'.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 6:54pm
Its a PITA that they have the 'sign in to confirm your age' thing on this commercial! I understand the need to discourage underage drinking. But this sign in crap is @#$%ing rediculous! Why the hell should I sign in as a member? I don't want to join your stupid website!!!!!! F off YouTube!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 7:43pm
Fitz & the Tantrums - one of their songs was MLB Network's "theme" song for this past postseason. By that I mean it was the song of choice for their commercials or snippets about the postseason, much to the chagrin of my ears. It was bad enough the radio station I listen to used to play the absolute sh*t out of it.

Indie crap at its most insufferable (if you've heard it, which I'm betting you have, you'll know it within the first 3-5 seconds - actual song begins around 20 seconds in):

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 2:31am
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Fitz & the Tantrums - one of their songs was MLB Network's "theme" song for this past postseason. By that I mean it was the song of choice for their commercials or snippets about the postseason, much to the chagrin of my ears. It was bad enough the radio station I listen to used to play the absolute sh*t out of it.

Indie crap at its most insufferable (if you've heard it, which I'm betting you have, you'll know it within the first 3-5 seconds - actual song begins around 20 seconds in):

I detest that f**king song! I call it the "whistling" song, and the young people I work with seem to love it!
God, I hate the "music" of today! It sucks!
One man gathers what another man spills
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 2:46am
Eh, it's an OK song but compared to something like Johnny Cash, Gene Audry, Frank Sinatra, Melanie, Linda Rostadt, and other classics? Its complete crap!
madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 4:14pm
OMG that's obnoxious. The song, I mean.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic