Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barrila commercials stereotyping Italians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokefilledlungs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrila commercials stereotyping Italians
    Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 4:47pm
I am a half Italian and I am extremely offended by this Barrila stereotype, that all Italians are silent fat stalkers who eat pasta pasta and nothing but pasta.
It just gets under my skin really bad.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 4:52pm
The Bertolli commercials (which I find terribly irritating) should really make your skin crawl, I would think...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
smokefilledlungs View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokefilledlungs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 4:56pm
Oh yeah, those drive me nuts too Thumbs%20Down
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:06pm
Sadly it's the Jersey Italians that allow this crap to carry on in the US.

Between the gold chains and wife beaters market being cornered, there is only so much Axe body spray the planet can handle for these mooks.

I will say this, when I was in Europe I found the Italians to act almost more like stereotypical "ugly Americans" than the loving, passionate Italians we see on ads and movies when they were traveling, them and Germans who most smaller European countries have a love/hate relationship with as tourists.
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:17pm
Look up singer "Colby O'Donis".

I don't know about you, but my guido radar was off the charts for this guy.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:21pm
Ever watch Growing Up Gotti?
I caught an episode. It hurt my soul
smokefilledlungs View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokefilledlungs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Axe body spray the planet can handle for these mooks.

MOOKS, lol, my Italian father always says that..
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:23pm
http://guidofistpump.com/

bask in the magic
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by smokefilledlungs smokefilledlungs wrote:

I am a HALF Italian

I know so many people who are "half" Italian and actually they're nothing of the sort.  A person is "half" Italian when one parent was born in Italy( of 100% Italian parents), and the other parent is from some other country.   For some reasons, Italian-Americans are always more "Italian" than even Italians born there are!   And I say that with affection of course...not as a slur.  I adore Italian men.  Wink  I like Barilla Plus pasta and generally I like their ads with the opera music.  The pasta and sauce ads of years gone by (70's in particular)  were far more stereotypical, IMO.  
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 6:46pm
I'm half-Italian, from NJ, spent a lot of time at the Jersey Shore...and I'm kind of amused by the stereotype.  Hey, these people (Guidos) exist.  I say, if you're offended by the stereotype, don't blame it on those observing it (the Barilla people).  Blame it on those living it (the Guidos and others who seem like they've never left Bensonhurst or the Anthony Imperiale section of Newark)!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 7:01pm

http://guidofistpump.com/

bask in the magic

Good stuff, Jeroboam!  LOL

Last night, I posted the Guido Dance (from Youtube) in another thread.  I'll post it here.  Seems appropriate.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm half-Italian...
 LOLNO WONDER I don't wanna talk to you!

(of course I'm kidding! - My ChiTown-side of the family are all 1/2 Italian...they are our 'protection', whenever we are there...(Italian-Irish? go figure how THAT happenedLOL...)

Skibby may understand this...imagine the 'fun' of an Irish-Catholic showing up at a Roman-Catholic event (not always good)...LOL
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 3:48am
Hey, Pa...Irish Catholics ARE Roman Catholic.

But I know what you mean.

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

I am a HALF Italian

I know so many people who are "half" Italian and actually they're nothing of the sort.  A person is "half" Italian when one parent was born in Italy( of 100% Italian parents), and the other parent is from some other country.   For some reasons, Italian-Americans are always more "Italian" than even Italians born there are!   And I say that with affection of course...not as a slur.  I adore Italian men.  Wink  I like Barilla Plus pasta and generally I like their ads with the opera music.  The pasta and sauce ads of years gone by (70's in particular)  were far more stereotypical, IMO.  

I can be half Italian when my parent wasn't born in Italy.
My grandma was born in Italy. She married an Italian man. Thus, my dad is 100% Italian.
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 7:18am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm half-Italian...
 LOLNO WONDER I don't wanna talk to you!

(of course I'm kidding! - My ChiTown-side of the family are all 1/2 Italian...***they are our 'protection', whenever we are there...(Italian-Irish? go figure how THAT happenedLOL...)

Skibby may understand this...imagine the 'fun' of an Irish-Catholic showing up at a Roman-Catholic event (not always good)...LOL

***Riiiiggghhhtttt....because all Italians are in the mafia.  Who do they protect you from Pa?  Bartenders who are pissed cause you skipped out on the bar tab?   You better pay those loansharks too!!!!  With interest.
LOL
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 4:07pm
I love  Italians.
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 5:24pm
Who wouldn't?  We are the great lovers, , and artists!!! 
ITALIA!!!!!

Ahhh....I love everyone.  I love the Irish for sure.  Big fan of the Irish.
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by kat kat wrote:

Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

I am a HALF Italian

I can be half Italian when my parent wasn't born in Italy.
My grandma was born in Italy. She married an Italian man. Thus, my dad is 100% Italian.

I didn't write my post very well.   I'm aware that the person doesn't have to be born in Italy. My point was that there has to be one parent who's 100% Italian for the offspring to claim he's "half" anything.  Having one parent of a certain ethnicity, no matter how diluted,  doesn't automatically make a person "half" Italian, etc.  People tend to say that a lot and it just bugs me. Big%20smile
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 5:56pm

I love  Italians.

And you're looking at the finest specimen we have yet to produce.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 6:03pm
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by kat kat wrote:

And you're looking at the finest specimen we have yet to produce.

Mario can do no wrong.
No ape, crab, bug, or mutant turtle/dragon/japanese demon with mother issues is too strong for him.

Brothas got game.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 8:47pm
YO VINNIE, 'DEESE MALOOKS OVAH HEEYA, DEY'RE TAWAKIN ABOUT OW-AH AN-CEST-AHS OVAH HEEYA!!!!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 9:25pm
ohhhh, those funny Italians! (the fate of the previous non-Italian Barrila Ad-Geek; let's call him 'shovelface')

(Part 1)

(Part 2)

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 9:43pm
Joisey Italians? Ey, dey got 'em in Philly, too, ya know!
Ay-yo PHIL-LYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 10:11pm
My brother went to some street fair in Brooklyn a few years ago.  He noted some young goombat wearing a shirt that had a photo of John Gotti on it.  On the front, it said:

LOVED BY MANY 
HATED BY SOME

and on the back:

RESPECTED BY ALL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic