Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Johnny Winter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Johnny Winter
    Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 1:21pm
Died at age 70...
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 1:46pm

He may be dead, but his music is...Still Alive and Well.

RIP, Johnny

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 1:47pm
Just heard this on the radio driving in to work!

RIP, Johnny.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

He may be dead, but his music is...Still Alive and Well.

RIP, Johnny

"Let's do this f**ker!!!"

I saw him live at a small, local club not quite 20 years ago.

Mid - late 90's I think.

RIP JW.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 2:45pm

^  Using the "F-word" gave rock musicians a lot of cred back then.

Still Alive and Well reminds me of Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo (also a Winter song), Earache, My Eye (Cheech and Chong) and Givin' It All Away (BTO).

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 2:53pm

Still Alive and Well reminds me of Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo (also a Winter song)...

Actually, it was a Rick Derringer song & his only top 40 hit, BTW.

He recorded an early version of it with Winter, but the version that became a hit was sans Winter.

And as I recall, back in '73, it was my favorite song for a awhile.

Just thinking of it brings back a lot of memories of 10th grade.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 3:02pm

Yeah, that song was traded off a lot between Johnny and Edgar and Derringer.  One of the best rock songs ever...especially among songs that have rock music as the subject matter---along with songs like Smoke on the Water and We're an American Band.

Many years ago, I made a mixed tape with a lot of those songs.  I think I entitled it "Rock On Rock" or something corny like that.  LOL

"Rick Derringer" might've only had that one top 40 hit, but when he was with the McCoys, he had Hang On Sloopy.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 3:12pm
I remember at the time, two of my favorite songs were that one & this one...

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 3:29pm

Great song!  Take A Look Around was my intro to the James Gang.  Then Funk Hashtag 49.

My first intro to either of the Winter brothers was this song by Edgar Winter's White Trash.  Still one of my favorites.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 3:59pm
I remember Edgar Winter mainly for this one...

...very popular song in high school.

The intro to Must Be Love sounded a lot like The Allman Brothers.

Also a lot like the intro to Glenn Frey's mid 80's hit "Smuggler's Blues".

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 4:12pm

What?  You've forgotten Frankenstein?  That was a huge hit back then.

We All Had a Real Good Time off the same album was a popular party song in my dorm.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 4:15pm

What?  You've forgotten Frankenstein?  That was a huge hit back then.

Could never forget that one.

Awesome tune!!!

C'mon, man!
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 4:18pm
I wish I could've seen him in concert.  My favorite song by him is Cheap Tequila.  Can't post YouTube vids at work but if you haven't heard it look it up.  Sweet sounding, simple, with a very very sad meaning.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 4:43pm
Remember "Quad" hi-fi players?  My roommate had one and when you listened to "Frankenstein", it would roll around the room to each speaker...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 4:58pm
Can't forget this one...

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 5:48pm
  Cry

Just days after we've lost Tommy Ramone, another great rocker (different genre I know), legendary Johnny Winter?  Wow.

I remember seeing the Johnny Winter Band in 1975, Edgar played too and I distinctly remember Frankenstein.  It was just such a great show.

So sorry and sad Johnny's passed away, but check this out:
excerpt from USA Today:

An active performer right up until his death, Winter was on an extensive tour that had taken him to Europe. He died in his hotel four days after performing at the Lovely Days Festival in Wiesen, Austria.

LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:29pm
Johnny Winter!! R.I.P.

Winter was one of the greatest electric rock blues players EVER. Period.

Many said how great and influential Hendrix, Clapton and others were... but they all revered Johnny Winter. Stevie Ray Vaughan was a great Texas blues player- but he cut his teeth on Johnny Winter and Johnny's influence was all over Stevie Ray's playing. Even now, the amazing technicians like Eddie Van Halen, Eric Johnson, Steve Morse, Steve Vai could ALL list Johnny Winter as a major early influence. Of course Johnny would hold in tribute all of HIS major influences and inspirations such as B.B. King, Bobby "Blue" Bland and especially Muddy Waters.

I'll never forget buying Second Winter and listening over and over.. always lamenting that it was only a three-sided double album (originally to be a single album but there was just too much there). And his studio recordings as hot as they were couldn't ever seem to match his live playing which luckily I did see once at a small venue, so incredibly blown away I couldn't pick up an instrument for a long, long time afterwards.. why even try? 

Thanks for these other vids on the thread folks!
So much material over such a long period, but my favorite Winter tune was for me arguably the best Dylan cover ever. And this is interestingly a little slower version than Johnny usually played, and featuring his classic Gibson Firebird sound:

Then a forgotten (since he wasn't in the movie for some reason, why I have no idea but Alvin Lee got one of the guitar hero spots) but tremendous performance at Woodstock:

We're so fortunate he overcame his early demons and kept playing for so long (ancient by rock and roll standards!).

So much more, so much to cherish. Thanks, YouTube and archives everywhere.
A true American classical musician.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:30pm
I was a huge fan of the Edgar Winter Group and the Derringer song....Hoochie Koo
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 12:34pm
The first time I saw Johnny Winter live was at the 1970 Bath Festival of Blues, and he was on fire!
We knew about his music prior to the concert, and knew that he was also one of the performers who was at the famous Woodstock Arts & Music Festival in 1969, what we didn't know was how well he played in front of so many people.
When he spoke on the mic I enjoyed hearing his Texas draw accent, ( most Brits enjoy that accent, sort of like when we visit the States many people enjoy our accent).
Johnny played the Blues for us, and it sounded more authentic than what most of the bands from the U.K. were calling the blues at the time.
I was an instant fan of his!
I am so saddened by his passing at 70 years of age. Too bloody young to leave us Johnny!
R.I.P. Johnny Winter
I loved the work you did with Muddy Waters before he passed on in the late 1970's. I just wish that there were musicians today that paid you the same honour as you did for Muddy, but we now live in a world of musical hell. Heaven has gained another icon.
One man gathers what another man spills
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Can't forget this one...

REDS!!! (Secobarbitol)

Loved that cut, 'specially since I had to kick them in the early '70's (I had a valid 'scrip' 'cause I couldn' getasleep...)
~~~~
I've actually no idea how many times I've either seen or run into Johnny Winter through the years - loved the guy and his music.
Think the FIRST time I ran into him was around 1973-74, in Heidelberg, Germany...already had been listening to his stuff, but first time live? Talk about 'first impressions that last forever'!
Thank You, Sir - Rest Well...no 'Reds' required now...

Johnny's 'contro' to CIH...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 3:25am
^oh YEAH! Johnny Winter on the National Steel Guitar. He didn't even need to be plugged in.

"How d' ya like mah blues?" he asks at the end. We liked it John.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 4:13am
I suppose if Johnny Winter hadn't been such good friends with Johnny Walker (& Jimmy Beam & Jackie Daniels) he mighta been with us a mite longer... 

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I suppose if Johnny Winter hadn't been such good friends with Johnny Walker (& Jimmy Beam & Jackie Daniels) he mighta been with us a mite longer... 

In Zurich, the prosecutor (who apparently handles this kind of thing like a coroner or medical examiner) has ordered an autopsy.  Winter had been battling ill health in recent years and it looked like it could be a medical-related incident.  It's true he had been a friend of heroin, Rx drugs and booze in the past, but we don't really know what caused his death.  You must admit though that although 70 isn't ancient anymore, it's a bit rough to be touring at that age.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 4:43am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

In Zurich, the prosecutor (who apparently handles this kind of thing like a coroner or medical examiner) has ordered an autopsy.  Winter had been battling ill health in recent years and it looked like it could be a medical-related incident.  It's true he had been a friend of heroin, Rx drugs and booze in the past, but we don't really know what caused his death.  You must admit though that although 70 isn't ancient anymore, it's a bit rough to be touring at that age.

Yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of all the long term damage he probably did over the years.

Likely shortened his life by a few years.

But I suppose he wouldn't have been who he was or made the music he did had he not lived his life the way he chose to.

Mortality is such a bitch.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 5:03am

I wonder if Edgar's lived a similar lifestyle.  Somehow, the booze and heroin thing doesn't seem to apply as much to Edgar's type of music as it does to Johnny's.  Ya never know, though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic