Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I shudder to say this, What's your favorite App?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I shudder to say this, What's your favorite App?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I shudder to say this, What's your favorite App?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 4:40pm
One of my favorite television personalities is Alton Brown.
One of his favorite pet peeves is single use items.
You see, for him, everything you buy should be a multitask-er if possible.

This is why I have take to cramming my smartphone with as many useful Apps (or applications for the old folks) as I can find.

So far I have:
Got Milk - It's a grocery shopping list app.  You can add and check off items you need.
                What makes it really cool is that if both you and your mate shop for food, it allows you
                to coordinate your lists on both of your phones.  So, if you need milk and she picks 
                it up first, it gets crossed off your list on your phone.

Spark People - It is a diet and weight tracker.  You can scan the label of foods and it inputs the
                        nutrition info into your phone.

To Do List - One of many, but it makes it easier to set reminders for yourself.

What are some of your favorites?

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 4:43pm
APPles, thank you very much! (I don't need any of those new-fangled half-words, dagnabbit!)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 4:46pm

I've gotten through 58 years without any "apps" and done just fine.  Why complicate things at this point?

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

APPles, thank you very much! (I don't need any of those new-fangled half-words, dagnabbit!)

It think it's APPlet you're thinking of.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I've gotten through 58 years without any "apps" and done just fine.  Why complicate things at this point?

Eh Sonny?!!!    LOL

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:05pm
MyFitnessPal works better than SparkPeople, in my opinion. It also syncs with Runtastic, so if you do any walking on a certain day, you can automatically have it amend your caloric needs of the day.

On that note, Runtastic is another I like. Doesn't just have to be for running. I pretty much turn it on whenever I walk anywhere.

More specified would be Jefit, which is good for strength training specifically (It has other exercises on it, but...ehn. It's good for tracking strength gains, it can be used for a far better determiner of physical improvement (MyFitnessPal focuses on weight, whereas with Jefit you can track and monitor all your measurements and body fat, etc.)

Outside of the fitness world...Well, honestly, most of the useful stuff came built in on my phone. It's a Note 3, so I can pretty much use the built in SPen features to replace a myriad of applications. there's a post-it like option where I can hand write a little note and have it on my homepage as a reminder. A proper notepad where I can both type and hand-write anything, good for shopping lists. (I have tried out the Got Milk one, and I like it, but as I'm the only one doing the shopping it doesn't really warrant the download.)

Outside of that, most everything else is superfluous.

I do like the Amazon App Store, mainly for their "Free app of the day" as well as their occasional "give-aways" (Last one was about 30 applications worth over $100, all free) Not because I USE all of these, but more because there's something potentially useful most of the time. Say you end up having to take care of a brat rather last minute. Plenty of educational kiddy applications on there. And occasionally you get something actually useful. I got the ad-free version of Runtastic during one of the give-aways.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

WinkI don't need no stinkin' French Apples ('APPlet' - gimme a break!). I said APPLES, I mean APPLES.
Granny smith and cross section.jpg
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:08pm
dunno, PaW, this seems more like your kind of apple.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:09pm
...neeh - much too ripe.
~~~
Actually, I'm SO sick of 'APP's I can't see straight.
  • MissyDWolf has a GARMIN-like APP that has a monotonous, irritating female. She likes to turn it on to drive me nuts when I'm driving (I've actually pulled off the road).
  • I recently had to work through a serious issue with a phone banking APP for a major financial institution. Seems establishing basic guidelines with service providers, data lengths and privacy were not in that institution's initial design thoughts before they provided the APP to the general public. They had to retract their offering for a short period of time, but it got fixed. This impacted both tablets and 'idiot phones', especially with certain service providers.

I like having a life - 'APPS' aren't going to have a chance to take over.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:18pm

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

WinkI don't need no stinkin' French Apples ('APPlet' - gimme a break!). I said APPLES, I mean APPLES.
Granny smith and cross section.jpg

Aw c'mon PaW I no you one o dem compuder programers.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:31pm

You beat me to it again! I was going to answer Golden Delicious.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:36pm
So far, I'm liking this Magic Jack "Magic App", because there is something funky going on with my telephone & so far, it's allowing me to make calls using my tablet.

Just hope it keeps on functioning & doesn't start acting hinky.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

So far, I'm liking this Magic Jack "Magic App", because there is something funky going on with my telephone & so far, it's allowing me to make calls using my tablet.

Just hope it keeps on functioning & doesn't start acting hinky.

LOL'Geriatric Hip' are we, ol'Mule?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 5:59pm

"Heh heh!!!! Whippersnappers!!!"

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 7:05pm
LOL
The only apps I have to worry about is the app etites of 2 humans and one wonder dog.

Oh, oh!  I can't forget my Mallard couple friends.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

MyFitnessPal works better than SparkPeople, in my opinion. It also syncs with Runtastic, so if you do any walking on a certain day, you can automatically have it amend your caloric needs of the day.

On that note, Runtastic is another I like. Doesn't just have to be for running. I pretty much turn it on whenever I walk anywhere.

More specified would be Jefit, which is good for strength training specifically (It has other exercises on it, but...ehn. It's good for tracking strength gains, it can be used for a far better determiner of physical improvement (MyFitnessPal focuses on weight, whereas with Jefit you can track and monitor all your measurements and body fat, etc.)

Outside of the fitness world...Well, honestly, most of the useful stuff came built in on my phone. It's a Note 3, so I can pretty much use the built in SPen features to replace a myriad of applications. there's a post-it like option where I can hand write a little note and have it on my homepage as a reminder. A proper notepad where I can both type and hand-write anything, good for shopping lists. (I have tried out the Got Milk one, and I like it, but as I'm the only one doing the shopping it doesn't really warrant the download.)

Outside of that, most everything else is superfluous.

I do like the Amazon App Store, mainly for their "Free app of the day" as well as their occasional "give-aways" (Last one was about 30 applications worth over $100, all free) Not because I USE all of these, but more because there's something potentially useful most of the time. Say you end up having to take care of a brat rather last minute. Plenty of educational kiddy applications on there. And occasionally you get something actually useful. I got the ad-free version of Runtastic during one of the give-aways.

Sorry, but that all sounds like life in hell to me.  LOL

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 10:37pm
Haha, takes all sorts.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:03pm
As I stated previously, now you can 'bank by phone' - just upload an APP!
It seriously terrifies me to watch the lemmings...if only they knew...
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:21am
It's weird that only the people who hate apps and want nothing to do with them responded to this topic.  Typical CIH fashion I guess.

I don't have the same hatred.  I find they give me more value for the price I paid for this little brick.

I was really hoping people who did use them would be the one to post and would give me ideas of better ones I could use.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:25am
You had two posts that like and use them. :P
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

You had two posts that like and use them. :P

Yeah, I guess you're right.  I use Spark People.  I started to use it to monitor my daily caloric intake.
Between that and my new digital scale, I found to be very helpful on my journey to start dropping pounds.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 11:28am
I've got over 100 apps on my iPhone.  I like the Google maps for navigation. I quit using my Tom Tom.

ESPN is another app I like to follow games when I'm out and about.

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 11:51am
I like Weather Bug.

I get a lot of use from Star Walk, which is a planetarium program. Cost a few bucks, but is beautiful, and worth it.

I just downloaded a free app called: RED ALERT:ISRAEL. It alerts you every time the Palastinians send a rocket attack over the border. It has been very busy tonight.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic