Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Geico Words Can Hurt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillinpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geico Words Can Hurt
    Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 6:31am
I saw this one tonight.  I'm getting tired of these "Did you know..." commercials after some smart a$$ already knows about how much you can save on their car insurance and this was not even funny, it was just hard and awful to watch.

On a bar of Dove soap: "Directions: Use like regular soap."
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 8:36am
Mr. Wolf posted this in the talk section.
Geico is certainly one of MY most hated companies because of their ads.
This one surprised me and made me laugh.
Chillinpat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillinpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 5:25pm
I checked the first two pages to see if any one posted it, I did not realize it was posted there, my apologies for the double post.

I'm sick of these commercials and Flo, seeming like everything is roses when we all know dealing with insurance companies is nothing but a headache.
On a bar of Dove soap: "Directions: Use like regular soap."
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 5:27pm
If "everybody knows" that 15 minutes could save you 15% or more, why are they still making commercials that say that? Do they enjoy wasting money on ads?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Chillinpat Chillinpat wrote:

I checked the first two pages to see if any one posted it, I did not realize it was posted there, my apologies for the double post.

I'm sick of these commercials and Flo, seeming like everything is roses when we all know dealing with insurance companies is nothing but a headache.
Your fine Pat, This is the hate section.
Commercial Talk is where the good ones show up sometimes.
Crackicus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crackicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 10:42pm
I also tire of this particular ad campaign, although this specific commercial made me laugh.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Chillinpat Chillinpat wrote:

WinkDon't even go there - apologies NOT required., whatsoever! Just because *I* love the commercial, I started a thread in a different forum - and, well, even if I didn't, so what? Plenty of folk have found 'search' facilities lacking...express yourself.
*I* like the commercial because no matter how worn out the concept is, SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE has missed it - and THIS commercial brought me to that conclusion (between the two in the auto repair shop waiting room - especially HER reaction), before blowing me away with the 'Jessie and his not-so-bride' exampleLOL
This one HAD to be done by the same folk that put together the 'Old McDonald' ad, which will always remain classic, dagnabbit!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 3:22pm
If words DO hurt, I could really do some damage to those adtards!!
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Granite View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 3:31pm
Wink  I just saw this one for the first time and rushed here but you guys beat me to it!  Come on GEICO, this is getting old.  I liked "the oldest trick in the book" one, but the rest have been pretty lame (like that horse).
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Granite Granite wrote:

Wink  I just saw this one for the first time and rushed here but you guys beat me to it!  Come on GEICO, this is getting old.  I liked "the oldest trick in the book" one, but the rest have been pretty lame (like that horse).

Yeah, the oldest trick one was funny. The guy's delivery was hilarious. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Everything else has been damn near retarded.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 6:08pm
I like this one, because its so unexpected. However this may get old if repeated too many times!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I like this one, because its so unexpected. However this may get old if repeated too many times!

but if you think about it, it's not the words that hurt her. It's the fact that he left and she will miss him. It really has nothing to do with words.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 7:18pm
I was sure I posted this one but maybe I was bluffing,  "You got to know when to hold them."

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 7:24pm
^this is in response to TV_Casualty

Except for the fact that he smacks the 'E' when he rides off.

Or have you haven't been paying attention?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 7:39pm
I stole a gif from Jimbo today.

And I bet I ain't the only one who borrowed it.
Papa L just loves to walk into a room and fart, check his birthday thread.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 10:59pm

^this is in response to TV_Casualty

Except for the fact that he smacks the 'E' when he rides off.

Or have you haven't been paying attention?

Aha, I see that now. Still kind of corny.
LooseCaboose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseCaboose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 2:11pm
I saw this about a day ago, and unlike the recent ones, this was actually funny. Kinda reminded of the ones with the man asking the hypothetical questions. I miss him.

Sadly, this will end up being true. Running a commercial to the ground seems to be the norm. In fact, I wonder if was like that back in the early 2000s, or 90s, maybe even the 80s.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 3:34pm
I've been looking at YouTube videos of commercials from the 80s and 90s it seems they didn't repeat their ads often.
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 6:02pm
^Totally agreed.

We have commercials that play before, during and after our Royals baseball games that ran 2 years ago, all of last year and now again this year. Same obnoxious ads with same dull theme music that forces instant mute button. I feel like Pavlov's Dog with this sludge.

I think it may be a direct result of companies slashing their ad budgets- which is usually one of the first things to go when cutting back. So much easier to re-run than create, whether or not they are clever or even if they work.

This is one of the very few Geico commercials I've liked, and bet it runs forever.

At least they seem to have dumped the "did you know" ad that featured Eddie Money's 2 Tickets to Paradise ad agency..that was very creepy.
dskyyksd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskyyksd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:30pm
Funny the first time.  How it'll be holding up the 73,951st time, different story.
LooseCaboose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseCaboose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 2:50am
Originally posted by LeeboKC LeeboKC wrote:

I think it may be a direct result of companies slashing their ad budgets- which is usually one of the first things to go when cutting back. So much easier to re-run than create, whether or not they are clever or even if they work.

That sounds like a pretty good explanation, because I've always remembered commercials in the 90s, and early 2000s not having so much repetition, and actually having variety.
Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 3:20am
Parodies of "Shane" are cutting edge these days...
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 10:03pm

It's happening.

I'm starting to tire of this commercial!

It is wearing on me thin.

Commercial repitition does that to me!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 10:11pm
I don't pay attention to commercials I've seen before.
ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:35am
I thought this was just lame the first time I saw it.  Then again, I don't "get it."

I give them credit for one thing though... they didn't go the route of having a word made out of giant block letters punch somebody out.  That's what I was expecting when I saw this the first time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic