Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Popeyes REALLY?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khan flo mah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popeyes REALLY?!
    Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:09pm
WOMAN YOU DONT talk like that...."honey chile" so what did the director say to you to get you to 'blacken up" your voice?

its not YOUR chicken...unlike the wendy's girl, she's not claiming to BE the product owner.

And even though the ads offended people...people that buy popeyes, they didnt care!! I have never known ANY ad agency that doesnt mind offending the base they plan on selling to!

I actually STOPPED eating popyese after she arrived..i'd rather they have used the woman that says "AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT" and just said she was like the wendy's girl..A person that just LOVES southern style chicken.

Or if they would have said she was a displaced southerner in the north, and popeyes makes chicken like she remembers in the south..BUT THAT WOMAN WOULD HAVE TO BE A SENIOR BECAUSE YOU SEE..TODAY..that type of image is LONG GONE. and they eat what everyone else does.

POPEYES...JUST PAY FOR THE POPEYE CARTOON RIGHTS AND STOP BEING A CHEAP SKATE, like you had at first.

Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:14pm
Huh?????????????????????????????????????????!?!?!!?!?!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by khan flo mah khan flo mah wrote:

WOMAN YOU DONT talk like that...."honey chile" so what did the director say to you to get you to 'blacken up" your voice?

its not YOUR chicken...unlike the wendy's girl, she's not claiming to BE the product owner.

And even though the ads offended people...people that buy popeyes, they didnt care!! I have never known ANY ad agency that doesnt mind offending the base they plan on selling to!

I actually STOPPED eating popyese after she arrived..i'd rather they have used the woman that says "AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT" and just said she was like the wendy's girl..A person that just LOVES southern style chicken.

Or if they would have said she was a displaced southerner in the north, and popeyes makes chicken like she remembers in the south..BUT THAT WOMAN WOULD HAVE TO BE A SENIOR BECAUSE YOU SEE..TODAY..that type of image is LONG GONE. and they eat what everyone else does.

POPEYES...JUST PAY FOR THE POPEYE CARTOON RIGHTS AND STOP BEING A CHEAP SKATE, like you had at first.

If you could be more descript, someone might be able to find the ad.
I just watched 2 and I want some, NOW!!!!
hopelesspyromantic View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopelesspyromantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:11pm
Found the chicken and waffles ad. I hate the way these fast food joints pander to minorities. I'm surprised they didn't go for broke and dress her like a mammy. Unhappy

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:28pm
Frankly, I'm disturbed by the first post. "Blacken up" are you kidding me? How is that not wrong? Please explain. To the third poster please explain to me how commercials for minorities is wrong.

I'm just trying to get further explanation.
panamacityeddie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panamacityeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 2:04am
To the OP,referring to Popeyes Chicken. The restaurant is named after Popeye Doyle from the film "The French Connection" not the cartoon character.
meecepeece View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meecepeece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 3:10pm
The thing is if black ppl really want everyone to stop stereotyping the way they speak, they first will have to stop actually speaking that way in day to day life. They are causing their own problems running around purposely sounding uneducated, using sentences such as " who you think you IS?" And saying AKS instead of ask like normal. If you know how to speak and are offended, fine. If you talk incorrectly, you first need to stop. Then complain, and do so in proper grammar. Black ppl are always crying foul about stereotypes that they do nothing to prevent& continue to embrace themselves. I am sure all races are guilty of this also, but this ad is about this ad& her speech. I hear blacks on buses& in places every day talking ten times more ignorant sounding that she is here. Stop doing it and everyone will begin to see that it is not true.
If you could see the you that I see when I see you seeing me, you'd see yourself so differently, believe me-
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by panamacityeddie panamacityeddie wrote:

To the OP,referring to Popeyes Chicken. The restaurant is named after Popeye Doyle from the film "The French Connection" not the cartoon character.

That's an interesting fun fact, I never would of guessed that based on their commercials!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by khan flo mah khan flo mah wrote:

Seems they acquired those rights back in the 1970s, but terminated the contract in 2012.  It was no longer worth the cost to them, as they were only using Popeye the Sailor Man in a few foreign markets.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by meecepeece meecepeece wrote:

The thing is if black ppl really want everyone to stop stereotyping the way they speak, they first will have to stop actually speaking that way in day to day life. They are causing their own problems running around purposely sounding uneducated, using sentences such as " who you think you IS?" And saying AKS instead of ask like normal. If you know how to speak and are offended, fine. If you talk incorrectly, you first need to stop. Then complain, and do so in proper grammar. Black ppl are always crying foul about stereotypes that they do nothing to prevent& continue to embrace themselves. I am sure all races are guilty of this also, but this ad is about this ad& her speech. I hear blacks on buses& in places every day talking ten times more ignorant sounding that she is here. Stop doing it and everyone will begin to see that it is not true.

There are news stories that don't exactly help in alleviating stereotypes as well.  For example, about a month ago there was someone breaking into various fast food chicken places overnight and stealing tons of frozen chicken. Surveillance videos in the restaurants showed the suspect was a black dude.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

There are news stories that don't exactly help in alleviating stereotypes as well.  For example, about a month ago there was someone breaking into various fast food chicken places overnight and stealing tons of frozen chicken. Surveillance videos in the restaurants showed the suspect was a black dude.

Ouch!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

He would've preferred breaking into Fresh Choice, but he couldn't find one in his neighborhood.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Ouch!

The field reporter obviously made no racial undertones about it, but he crammed as many "chicken" puns into one report as he possibly could (as if I didn't have enough reasons to dislike this particular reporter already):

http://www.click2houston.com/news/man-wanted-for-stealing-frozen-chicken-from-restaurants/25780646

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:40pm
I bet it wasn't a Boston Market....Big smile
Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 12:40am
If I was to be annoyed by anything about the Popeye's woman, it would be that she is presented as the one who comes up with the recipes, referring to it as "my" so and so. She's an actress, I've seen her in other stuff.
Oh Nertz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oh Nertz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 12:51am
Hahah I like the shot of thje peppers flying through the spices, a nice homage to the wet tomatoes we all know and love.
SJames View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Dr. John Dorian Dr. John Dorian wrote:

If I was to be annoyed by anything about the Popeye's woman, it would be that she is presented as the one who comes up with the recipes, referring to it as "my" so and so. She's an actress, I've seen her in other stuff.

I saw her on 'Justified' this last season. And she wasn't some jovial southern lady yapping about chicken and shrimp in a piece of cardboard- she was a corrupt prison nurse shaking down patients for her personal drug business. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 4:38am
I've never liked her in those Popeye's ads, which have been around for a few years now.

I think I may have started a thread about them a while back.

All that "honey chile" crap is just too damned phony.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 4:51am

As a kid I had very little contact with black people. In 1978 during Army basic training I had a lot of contact. They mostly had the same regional accents as their non black counterparts. When I returned home from training I had a black friend named Garret who spoke normal English. A few years later "Ebonics" happened. My good black friend in the National Guard Richie was from Upstate New York. He attended the original Woodstock and had no accent. We were at Camp Roberts in central California and shopping at their little Post Exchange (PX). There were 2 black soldiers in our aisle talking Ebonics. I asked Richie what they were saying. He replied I'm sorry I don't speak their language.      
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 5:19am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

As a kid I had very little contact with black people. In 1978 during Army basic training I had a lot of contact. They mostly had the same regional accents as their non black counterparts. When I returned home from training I had a black friend named Garret who spoke normal English. A few years later "Ebonics" happened. My good black friend in the National Guard Richie was from Upstate New York. He attended the original Woodstock and had no accent. We were at Camp Roberts in central California and shopping at their little Post Exchange (PX). There were 2 black soldiers in our aisle talking Ebonics. I asked Richie what they were saying. He replied I'm sorry I don't speak their language.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 7:23am
LOL
Starring Barbra Billingsly as the Beaver!!
AlexanderCS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexanderCS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 3:38pm
@khan flo mah
They toned her WAYYYYYY WAAAAAAAY down, believe it or not.  She used to be more over the top when those commercials using her as the spokeswoman started.  Tons of mail saying that the only thing she was missing was the red bandana.  She was that bad.  So, as hard as it is to believe, she was worse!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 4:20pm

She speaks perfect English, but with a black accent.  Usually, what I hear, is not that.  She's kind of the idealized black person.  Well, at least she looks black, rather than some Beyonce type with light skin and Marcia Brady hair.

AlabamaShakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlabamaShakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 3:35pm

More disgusting ignorance on here, I see.  You act as if ALL Black people speak that way.  If you have never heard a Black person who speaks proper English, then perhaps you need to expand your horizons and stop basing your view of an entire race based on what you heard on a bus.  That certainly is not a representative sample of all (or even most) Black people.  That makes about as much sense as someone thinking that all White people are trashy and ignorant because they watch Honey Boo Boo or Jerry Springer.  Most of the Black people who complain about being stereotyped are NOT the people who actually speak this way.  They are intelligent Black people who are sick of being stereotyped as ignorant and uneducated just because they happen to be the same color of some people who behave/speak that way.  So your comment about "stop doing it and complain in proper grammar" only shows your own ignorance.  If you've never encountered an educated, articulate Black person, then you must live an extremely sheltered life.  Stereotypes continue to exist because of pathetically ignorant and uninformed people like you.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by AlabamaShakes AlabamaShakes wrote:

More disgusting ignorance on here, I see.  You act as if ALL Black people speak that way.  If you have never heard a Black person who speaks proper English, then perhaps you need to expand your horizons and stop basing your view of an entire race based on what you heard on a bus.  That certainly is not a representative sample of all (or even most) Black people.  That makes about as much sense as someone thinking that all White people are trashy and ignorant because they watch Honey Boo Boo or Jerry Springer.  Most of the Black people who complain about being stereotyped are NOT the people who actually speak this way.  They are intelligent Black people who are sick of being stereotyped as ignorant and uneducated just because they happen to be the same color of some people who behave/speak that way.  So your comment about "stop doing it and complain in proper grammar" only shows your own ignorance.  If you've never encountered an educated, articulate Black person, then you must live an extremely sheltered life.  Stereotypes continue to exist because of pathetically ignorant and uninformed people like you.

I suppose you feel you're telling us something we don't already understand... that being, that there are intelligent, articulate black people.

Well of course there are. There just need to be more if them. Because, unfortunately for those intelligent, articulate blacks you speak of, too many blacks still cling to the use of barely decipherable English & cause the stereotype to continue.

Rap music being one of the main culprits in that regard.

It takes two to make a stereotype. One to create the stereotype via their behavior to begin with & the other to buy into it.

At some point, the one has to end the behavior so the the other can stop believing the stereotype & they can meet in the middle.

Smile

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic