Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stouffer's lasagne---Cell Phone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stouffer's lasagne---Cell Phone
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 2:28pm

Like Jell-O, Stouffer's now has a commercial featuring a teenage girl with a cellphone obsession.  In it, her parents are flabbergasted when she puts down her handheld device to focus on eating her delicious Stouffer's lasagne.

Besides the fact that Stouffer's lasagne is merely OK, why do the parents even allow their daughter to have the phone at the dinner table to begin with?  Well, I guess it's at least nice that the family sits down to a meal together.  Most families I know have abandoned the practice.

Sponsored Links

ALE515 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALE515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 12:54am
I love how the commercial claims that with one bite she can taste the aged Parmesan and whatever else. Um, no. Just no. I've had this and have made lasagna plenty of times, home made trumps this crap any day! And yes, I would never allow cellphones at the table, be a damn parent and take it away!  
ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 1:55am
Stouffer's lasagna is NASTY.  My mom and even my dad make a better lasagna than Stouffer's.  The sauce is bland, the noodles are rubber. 
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 2:03am
Usually fads based on new technology fade away into normalcy after the new "thing" becomes more widely adopted.

Am praying HARD for the day this eventually happens to smartphones, hashtags and social media.

It's been almost a decade since these things hit the major spotlight, and people are still fussing over them!

What's the deal? Do people this generation really have weaker attention spans, so that these things amuse them for longer than they would've in the past?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 2:10am

Originally posted by ChrisInMI ChrisInMI wrote:

Stouffer's lasagna is NASTY.  My mom and even my dad make a better lasagna than Stouffer's.  The sauce is bland, the noodles are rubber. 

I don't think it's horrible.  It's what I expect of frozen lasagne.  Watery and mediocre, but better than nothing.  However, the Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese is quite good.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 2:23am
I'm just tired of the ad cliche "hey moms, those kids and their damn cell phones, amirite?" Like seriously, if you're upset by your child having a cell phone at the table just...gasp...ban the damn things from the dinner table! Every single food product is jumping on this bandwagon lately and it bugs the sh*t out of me.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 3:05am

^  Lemme guess.  You bring your cellphone to the dinner table, right?  Wink

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Besides the fact that Stouffer's lasagne is merely OK, why do the parents even allow their daughter to have the phone at the dinner table to begin with?

Because if they didn't, there would be no way to illustrate how good Stouffer's lasagna is via her putting the phone down in order to eat it.

People tend to behave that way in commercial land.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 3:25am

I'm surprised she's eating the lasagna.  Isn't she supposed to have an eating disorder at her age?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 3:42am
The girl playing her probably does have one.

But in commercial land, everything is perfect.

People can eat fatty, calorie & sodium laden processed foods while remaining the picture of fitness & health as well as maintaining their slender, youthful, glowing appearances, no matter how old.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 4:23am

Yeah, she probably purged that lasagna as soon as the filming wrapped up.

I've been asking my 13 y/o neighbress what kind of eating disorder she plans on having for her teen years.  She said she likes the binge/purge thing.  I pointed out that anorexia would be cheaper for her family, and with the money they save, they might be able to buy her more of those "Size 0" clothes she'd want.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 4:45am

^  Lemme guess.  You bring your cellphone to the dinner table, right?  Wink

What's a dinner table LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 2:43pm

^  Mine is something I pile things on top of, and then clean off whenever people are coming over for dinner---about 3x per year.

panamacityeddie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panamacityeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:11am
My question regarding these Stouffer's Lasagna commercials is,how or why did they put that 
lasagna in that casserole dish? I notice it every one of these commercials. Hell i just open the box 
and the put the damn thing in the oven. I guess they are too good for a aluminium tray.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 3:03am
I know someone who's dining table is covered in bondage equipment...

I oughta give him a call...
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 3:39am
Originally posted by panamacityeddie panamacityeddie wrote:

My question regarding these Stouffer's Lasagna commercials is,how or why did they put that 
lasagna in that casserole dish? I notice it every one of these commercials. Hell i just open the box 
and the put the damn thing in the oven. I guess they are too good for a aluminium tray.

I'm not even sure the trays are aluminum anymore.

I think they're that high heat plastic or some kind of cardboard.

Maybe the really big "party size" are still aluminum.

But you're right about how dumb it is that they'd go thru the trouble to pry a frozen solid lasagna out of the tray it comes in just to transfer it to a casserole dish.

Most sane people would just eat it out of the tray it came in then chuck it in the trash.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 3:43am

^  Mine is something I pile things on top of, and then clean off whenever people are coming over for dinner---about 3x per year.

Same with mine.

All the effing junk mail & advertising fliers I get constantly pile up on there until I get the chance to go thru them & separate out the recyclable paper & then of course there's always the junk of some little project I'm working on etc., etc., etc. making it look like a work bench.

It's a real mess.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

But you're right about how dumb it is that they'd go thru the trouble to pry a frozen solid lasagna out of the tray it comes in just to transfer it to a casserole dish.

It'd be pretty easy.  Just run some hot water around the tray to loosen the food from it, and then dump it into a casserole dish.  I don't know why anyone would do this, though---other than to create the illusion that it's homemade.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Same with mine.

All the effing junk mail & advertising fliers I get constantly pile up on there until I get the chance to go thru them & separate out the recyclable paper & then of course there's always the junk of some little project I'm working on etc., etc., etc. making it look like a work bench.

It's a real mess.

Mine isn't quite so bad.  That's only 'cuz I have this long sort-of snackbar thing attached to the back of my cabinets.  That's where things pile up, especially bills and statements and junk.

I recently cleared it all up, and tossed bills from months and months ago.  Many weren't even opened.  Paid, but unopened.  Some of my bills/statements are paperless, some not.  So when I pay my bills, I just go online to get the amount due and pay them.  Then, the bills just sit on the counter for months and months.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:19pm
It's still more work & then of course, there's another dish to clean afterward.

Point being, nobody who buys Stouffer's lasagna just to serve to the immefiate family goes to that extra length.

The only ones who wanted to make it look more appealing were the Stouffer's Corporation & the ad people who made the commercial because they know that baking tray that it comes in makes the stuff look like garbage.

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:20pm
When I go to my sister's for dinner, step 1 in setting the table always consists of them clearing off the mountains of junk mail and bills. You can't even see a single square inch of the table's surface most times considering how much sh*t's piled onto it.  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:35pm

When I have people over for dinner, I try to get all of that stuff out of the way, even hide it.  Furthermore, I have the food ready, and all the dishes/silverware available on the table.

The reason I do this is because I can't multitask.  Once people start coming over, I can't deal with socializing and cooking at the same time.  Food would burn, dishes would break.  So, I have to keep it as simple and stupid as possible.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

When I go to my sister's for dinner, step 1 in setting the table always consists of them clearing off the mountains of junk mail and bills. You can't even see a single square inch of the table's surface most times considering how much sh*t's piled onto it.  LOL

Hearing that & Thor talk about his table makes me feel less badly about my own.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 5:57pm

I'm in the process of organizing things, especially my paperwork.  If I thought my counters were bad, they were nothing compared to the boxes and boxes of paperwork in my closets and garage and drawers.  I think my oldest paperwork was my tax returns and pay stubs---from 1978.

I looked at each and every piece to make sure there were no SS#s or bank account info on it.  When there was, I put it aside to be shredded.

And then there's the photographs scattered in various places.  And the slides.  And all sorts of other crap going back even further.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 6:04pm
This makes me happy I don't have dinner table, but I also don't have room for one. We built a bar off of our kitchen island and put 2 bar chairs up to it. I think my parent's dinner table became another counter when I was 16 or so and we stopped eating at the table for dinner. Everyone was working at that point and rarely home at the same time to eat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic