Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Major League Baseball 2014 is here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major League Baseball 2014 is here!
    Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 4:48am
Big smileClapMLB 2014 Season is underway - 'The Sport Invented By The Gods' has started out pretty nicely

Go CUBS - but in the other direction for once,  please.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 1:43pm
Same for Reds....
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:29pm
Astros took 2 of 3 from the mighty Yankees in the opening series, and have a chance to split the 4 game series today with the Los Angeles West Coast Northern Hemisphere Angels of Anaheim Orange County California (I think that's what they're being called these days). 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 6:25pm
Why are you guys hanging over here?
I love CIH...oh, and by the way.
Brewers- 4-2   1st in NL Central Division.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Astros took 2 of 3 from the mighty Yankees in the opening series, and have a chance to split the 4 game series today with the Los Angeles West Coast Northern Hemisphere Angels of Anaheim Orange County California (I think that's what they're being called these days). 
Feldman's pitching has been very impressive - not sure many folk remember he won 17 for the Texas Strangers back in 2009.
Houston is rebuilding in somewhat the same manner as the Miami Marlins - cheap and young talent to mix with cost-effective experience. I think they are a heck of a lot better one year removed from their transition to to AL (and after dumping Carlos Pena on the Royals so he could strike out his final three plate appearances)
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Why are you guys hanging over here?
I love CIH...oh, and by the way.
Brewers- 4-2   1st in NL Central Division.
I'll appreciate the Brewers a bit more when they get real uniforms.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Houston is rebuilding in somewhat the same manner as the Miami Marlins - cheap and young talent to mix with cost-effective experience. I think they are a heck of a lot better one year removed from their transition to to AL (and after dumping Carlos Pena on the Royals so he could strike out his final three plate appearances)

I think they'll be a lot better this year record wise (though in fairness you can't do much worse than 111 losses) but will still probably finish last in the division.  I think most reasonably expectant fans would be satisfied with a 70 win season, which would be a 19 game improvement.

The Marlins may surprise this year ... They have more than just Giancarlo after adding McGehee and Garrett Jones (I watched a lot of those 2 from their NL Central days and they're both very solid).  And then there's that Jose Fernandez kid at the top of the rotation - I haven't seen a right handed slider that filthy since David Cone.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:26pm
I will not have complete control over the TV until October! Sigh..

And we're a split household - Mets/Yankees.

I'll be doing a lot of reading this summer.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 12:43am
Now that order has been restored and UConn has succeeded in their tournament, I can focus my full attentions upon this "base-ball" sport. (okay, I was still paying close attention as I always am, but a slower start, is all.)
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 1:17am
Once it is 'Baseball Season', ALL OTHER SPORTS should get the hell out of the way and not distract. It takes a moron not to love baseball...like my beloved brother, who is a 'Mensa Moron'.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:27pm
The Astros called up one of their top youngsters, OF George Springer, after last night's game and DFA'd pitcher Lucas Harrell (thankfully .. after a piss poor 2013 and a shoddy Spring, I don't know why he cracked the opening day roster let alone a slot in the rotation).

Springer was just a couple homers shy of a 40/40 season (he was 45 out of 53 in base stealing) between AA and AAA last year with an OBP north of .400, and has been killing the ball so far this year at AAA - .353 avg. with a 1.106 OPS, 3 homers & 9 rbi's including his grand slam last night, and 4 for 4 in SB attempts.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 7:03pm
I'm just a fair weather fan but the Brewers were kicking some ass and won 8 or so, in a row.
1st place at 10-4  playing the Cards now bottom of the 3rd. No score.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:54pm
^^ Just saw the Crew won 5-1.  I heard earlier this week that they're off to their best start since I think 1981? Sometime in the 80's for sure i.e. a long time ago, well before their tenure began in the NL. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 7:56pm
The Brewers got their asses handed to them yesterday by the Pirates, I think they play again today.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:07am
LOLHere's a Brewers-Pirates moment that will go down in history and one You'll probably never see again - it is a very special and very funny moment - and, of course, Bob Uecker was there.
Watch the video!!!LOL 

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:34am
Is that crazy or what?  I saw the highlights on the news this morning.
I think the Brewers had 4 errors and still won the game.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 6:35pm
Having that happen at a game that Uecker was calling ... the baseball gods wouldn't have had it any other way LOL

"It's a funny game ain't it Monty?"

Truer words have never been spoken, Bob Thumbs Up

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:26pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:54pm
WinkI remember watching the man who became 'The Spirit of St. Louis' as an exciting rookie, along side Mark McGuire (during his final years of his steroid-laden career) all the way before he became the 'Sell-Out in L.A.'. Then again, I guess it makes sense that one can only ignore so much money being thrown their way, before settling on 'Pay Day'.
Congrats to Albert on last night:

Pujols joins 500-homer club with second blast

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=32290901&topic_id=70087564&c_id=mlb

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 12:45pm
The Brewers honer Bob (Front Row) Uecker with a statue in the back row.  LOL

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 3:50pm
^^ Uecker is a legend LOL  The Astros up until a couple years ago had another legend in Milo Hamilton doing radio broadcasts.  Before joining them he was with the Braves, and called Hammerin' Hank's #715.

With the Nationals in town, our TV guys were talking about former pitcher Dave LaRoche whose son Adam plays for Washington, more specifically his "La Lob" aka Eephus pitch, or Bugs Bunny pitch if you will:

The batter looked helpless LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 3:58pm
Even at the Jr. High skill level, I knew I was not for baseball.
"How in the fk do you guys hit that ball?"
I can't swing a golf club either.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 1:55pm

Making the right play: White Sox rookie first baseman, last night - the kid is impressive with both bat and glove.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:47pm
^^ Assuming the kid keeps it up and can adjust once the scouts have a 'book' on him, it looks like the Chi Sox have their heir apparent to Konerko.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:13pm
^^^Agreed 100%.  I figured the SOX would dump 'Swish' Dunn and plop Konero into a full-time DH role, but Dunn has been hitting the skin off the ball all year. The White Sox really have a ton of power in their lineup, these days...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic