Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mr. Diddy Daddy is a sellout.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Donathan. Report posts for deletion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mr. Diddy Daddy is a sellout.
    Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 10:19am
This latest Fiat commercial really seals the deal for me that Mr. Diddy Daddy is a sellout for anything that will make him money. As one hilarious poster said, "Mr. Diddy Daddy would make a commercial for Tampax if it would make him money.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 11:00am
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 1:24pm
A "sell-out" from what? The main inspiration and directive behind all of these rap & HipHop "musicians" is money. He has absolutely no talent whatsoever, so by calling him a "sell-out" is rather pointless. He is what he is, a clueless, soulless, talentless, greedy tosser!
One man gathers what another man spills
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 4:11pm
What, you don't think Diddy really rolls through LA in a Fiat?
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

A "sell-out" from what? The main inspiration and directive behind all of these rap & HipHop "musicians" is money. He has absolutely no talent whatsoever, so by calling him a "sell-out" is rather pointless. He is what he is, a clueless, soulless, talentless, greedy tosser!

Excellent post.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Traxan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traxan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 6:51pm
Actually it's even better than that. When he first stops and offers the guys some water, that water bottle is a new line of bottled water he's investing in. He and Mark Wahlberg are partial investors in the company whose name escapes me. Aqua something. It's a high alkaline water, with a Ph of 9.5 or so, since alkalinity is the new rage in alternative medicine.

So he has a commercial within a commercial.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 7:20pm

Originally posted by Traxan Traxan wrote:

Actually it's even better than that. When he first stops and offers the guys some water, that water bottle is a new line of bottled water he's investing in. He and Mark Wahlberg are partial investors in the company whose name escapes me. Aqua something. It's a high alkaline water, with a Ph of 9.5 or so, since alkalinity is the new rage in alternative medicine.

So he has a commercial within a commercial.

I was just thinking today that I could really go for some alkaline. 

Alex View Drop Down
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 11:48am
Really? Hawking his own product in a commercial for another product? What a douchebag......
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Alex Alex wrote:

Really? Hawking his own product in a commercial for another product? What a douchebag......

All rappers and hip hoppers are douchbags!
I can't wait for this load of crap in the entertainment industry to be finally over!!
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 1:50pm

^  I dunno, Jimmy.  If you're referring to rap music---well, the rhe rap thing's been around 30+ years.  Not sure it's going anywhere.  Think of when rock music was 30 years old---1985!  It'd have been hard to think of rock music being a temporary thing at that point.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 2:25pm
^I dunno, both of You.
I think 'Rap' is actually much older than that to the days of 'Talkie Music'.
If either of the below really qualifies as 'Rap', then I really like that old rap crap.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 8:08pm

^  Yeah, you can trace its roots, just like rock music.  But that would be kind of its pre-natal period.  Rock sort of came out of the womb in 1955, and I guess rap did the same around 1979.  I wish one of those styles had been aborted.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:04am
What I find interesting about this commercial, as well as his Ciroc vodka commercial, is that Diddy isn't doing/using his own music anymore. I thought that's what his main occupation was followed by his
clothing line, vodka, etc.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Alex View Drop Down
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:31pm
I see no real reason why Diddy Daddy feels he needs to shill for commercials like Fiat. He has more than enough money from being a rapper/singer, a music producer, an actor, and his Sean John Line to shill for Fiat. Fiat should be for people who are just starting to become famous, like Kendrick Lamar. Not for people who have been around for about 17 years....
Traxan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traxan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:45am
There is no way the music industry will turn on rap the way it turned on rock. No way. They buried rock and refuse to promote it. When was the last time you saw a hard rock band on an award show? They won't do this to rap. They're too politically correct.

I was kinda surprised he used a Pharrell song in the commercial as well. I think he's doing this commercial because he's got a new record coming out, he's been away for quite a while, and just wants to raise his profile to sell a record. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you don't like him. :)
Traxan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traxan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:47am
Oh, and the product is called Aqua Hydrate.

http://www.aquahydrate.com/discover

I actually find these high ph waters are easier to drink. They are easier to absorb due to the high alkalinity.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 3:28am

Originally posted by Traxan Traxan wrote:

There is no way the music industry will turn on rap the way it turned on rock. No way. They buried rock and refuse to promote it. When was the last time you saw a hard rock band on an award show? They won't do this to rap. They're too politically correct.

That's what happened to MTV in the 80s.  It was supposed to be a rock channel, but black artists and  PC whites (like David Bowie) began calling the channel racist, and MTV cowtowed, turning it into a largely rap/urban channel.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 3:42am
While Googling MTV racism accusations, I came across this interesting chapter in an online version of a book entitled "I Want My MTV".

The title of the chapter (13) is "That Racism Bullsh*t".

Pretty interesting.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 3:58am

I wonder why blacks didn't start their own video channel, just as they did with radio.  Or even just corporate executive types who thought there'd be money in it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:12am
In the article I linked, the author mentioned that the record companies wouldn't even fund black videos, so I guess starting a video channel was out of the question.

Another point he made, was that back in the early-mid eighties, the vast majority of areas where TV cable was available, were white, middle & upper middle class.

IOW, they wired up the places where they knew there would be paying customers first.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:18am

Yeah, I saw it.  Makes sense.  It wasn't racism (as Bowie and Rick James stated); it was just business.  But I guess calling it racism is a better tactic.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:33am
I think it was just a typical knee-jerk reaction borne of a lack of understanding of the behind the scenes workings.

Typical of the kinds of knee-jerk reactions by both extreme ends of the socio-political spectrum.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:35am

Yeah, but you'd think David Bowie and Rick James would've understood what happens behind scenes.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:42am
Not necessarily.

I was talking about behind the scenes workings at one particular corporation... MTV.

Those two might understand how the recording industry works behind the scenes & how videos are produced, etc., but I don't think that would necessarily give them any insight into the the inner-office workings at MTV.

I think that would be like saying somebody who works in a mall should know how the management of JC Penney works.

JMHO.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:57am

I think that, at least Bowie, would've understood that it's about business.  In the early 70s, the progressive NY radio stations weren't playing much of his music.  And it wasn't because he was English and had orange hair; it was because he didn't have enough mass appeal, or just didn't appeal to their listenership at the time.  I think musicians understand this sort of thing.  Bowie didn't just demand that the NY stations play more glitter rock.

Rick James was probably the same.  He'd been around a long time before he made a name for himself, too.  By the way, did you know that James and Neil Young were in a band together in the mid-60s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic