Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting sick of "Happy"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catnapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting sick of "Happy"
    Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 3:05pm

Song is innocent enough but as usual, teh corporate sharks are co-opting it for every product or commercial they can shove down our throats making it become sickening after while (latest seems to be the ABC "Watch GMA" aka "TMZ Lite in the Morning" campaign).
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 3:14pm
It's actually a depressing song if you think of the lyrics.

Not too long ago there was a video on MSNBC of a congressman dancing to the song. His last name was Lewis I can't think of the first name.

I seriously could live without hearing this damn song!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

It's actually a depressing song if you think of the lyrics.

Not too long ago there was a video on MSNBC of a congressman dancing to the song. His last name was Lewis I can't think of the first name.

I seriously could live without hearing this damn song!

I looked at the lyrics.  They seem much like Don't Worry, Be Happy, except that that song was being sarcastic.  I think, in this song, Williams means it.

Otherwise, it's an okay song, I guess.  

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 4:59pm
The song itself isn't bad but that stupid video has got to go.

If there is one thing that just grates on me, it is what passes for "dancing" nowadays & it's especially annoying when it is depicted in a montage of "regular folks" on the street, "doin' dey thang".

And of course, the obligatory cute little kids & their spastic herking & jerking made it even less bearable.

As a video concept, it is just hackneyed & worn out from overuse.

I just wanted to reach in my screen & smack the snot out of a few of those goofy looking posers.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

If there is one thing that just grates on me, it is what passes for "dancing" nowadays & it's especially annoying when it is depicted in a montage of "regular folks" on the street, "doin' dey thang".

And of course, the obligatory cute little kids & their spastic herking & jerking made it even less bearable.

I just wanted to reach in my screen & smack the snot out of a few of those goofy looking posers.

Agreed!

That video was way too damn long I was thinking "man, when will this video end?" Ugh, what a waste of my time!

BTW I misheard a lyric when he said "clap along if you feel that happiness is the truth" I thought he said "clap along if you feel that happiness isn't truth" That got me screwed up!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 8:13pm
Was in a car with someone for about an hour a few weeks ago - could swear this damn song came o n about 5-7 times during that ride - why do they insist on a top-40 format when obviously that isn't enough songs to fill a radio station?
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 12:08am
Nononononono

Aw sh*t!

"Happy" is one of the songs being sung on the Battle Rounds on The Voice!

Ugh

Hasn't this song had enough exposure in the media world? Sheesh!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Nononononono

Aw sh*t!

"Happy" is one of the songs being sung on the Battle Rounds on The Voice!

Ugh

Hasn't this song had enough exposure in the media world? Sheesh!

Just saw that posted on Wikipedia. I live on the West coast, so now I have an inkling for what I'm in for.Angry
catnapped View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 1:09pm
Fiat commercial

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

It's worse than you thought.  From Wikipedia:

To coincide with the single release, the website 24hoursofhappy.com was launched featuring a visual presentation of "Happy" advertised as being "the world's first 24 hour music video". The video consists of the four-minute song repeated with various people dancing around Los Angeles and miming along. Williams himself appears 24 times on the hour, and there are a number of celebrity cameos including Whit Hertford (1:04am), Kelly Osbourne (1:28am), Magic Johnson (5:36am), Urijah Faber (8:36am), Sérgio Mendes (10:32am) and Jimmy Kimmel (11:48am), Odd Future (1:48pm), Steve Carell (5:08pm), Jamie Foxx (5:28pm), Ana Ortiz (5:32pm), Miranda Cosgrove (5:40pm), Gavin DeGraw (5:44pm), JoJo (6:16pm). The minions fromDespicable Me 2 make several appearances throughout the film, including one scene at 3:00am, in which Pharrell and the minions dance in a movie theatre that is playing the scene fromDespicable Me 2 in which "Happy" appears. A lone, one eyed minion also appears dancing to song in its entirety at 4:40pm. The site allows users to navigate to various points in the 24-hour timeframe, including all 360 four-minute segments and each hourly segment with Pharrell. An official four-minute edit of the video was also released on YouTube. The video's creative director wasYoann Lemoine.[20]

The original video spawned many cover videos on YouTube in which people from different cities throughout the world dance along the song. Those videos are usually called "Pharrell Williams – Happy – We Are from [name of the city]".[21]

Phoenix_Moon514 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Phoenix_Moon514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 9:03pm
This WAS a decent song, considering the crap they play now…

But they played this one so much, it's completely lost its value!

“The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.”
― Ayn Rand
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 9:37pm

^  I'd never even heard it before this thread.  Maybe it's my age.  It just never registered.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  I'd never even heard it before this thread.  Maybe it's my age.  It just never registered.

I've been doing really well at avoiding all pop music.  Even this one got to me.  It's ridiculously omnipresent.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 11:35pm

Believe I stated in another thread how very sick of this song I got in one day. Wonder if this gent will be a one-hit wonder and if this is his normal style. I *could* simply listen to other stuff by him on spewtube, but I'm too sick of him.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 11:38pm
Give me some classic Sinatra, and I'll be happy.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Give me some classic Sinatra, and I'll be happy.
(no joke)
<valid.CIH.spam>
Want Sinatra?
I have a huge stack of classic Sinatra LP's in perfect condition for sale.
Lot of early, hard-to-find ones.
No kidding.
I like your money, buy my Sinatra LPs. Today.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 12:02am
I gave my turntable to Goodwill years ago.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 12:26am

Same reason I'm dumping my LPs

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:15am

I recently found a website where you can sell your LPs and 45s and CDs.  You can also get an idea what they're worth, based upon what other people are selling them for.  I discovered that a few 45s I have are selling for $150/ea.  Others for $80, $50, etc

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 5:32am
It seems like they're using this song as a placeholder theme for any situation that's supposed to represent the emotion "happy".

I've got news for you, ADD kiddies of today's generation - just because a song has that word in it doesn't make it so!

In fact, at this stage they could rename the song "Annoyed", "Bored" or even "Angry" and it'd be more representative of how I feel when it plays now.
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 8:57am
I'll take this song any day over Mambo # 5 and Gangnam Style for commercials. Not that this is my favorite, far from it.
I approve this message.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:11pm

^  I like Mambo #5, even the Disney and Party City versions.  LOL

beeman77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeman77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Believe I stated in another thread how very sick of this song I got in one day. Wonder if this gent will be a one-hit wonder and if this is his normal style. I *could* simply listen to other stuff by him on spewtube, but I'm too sick of him.

Well don't you just sound like an old hermit...

This "gent" has been making some great music for much longer than you may think. He formed a VA-based group called "N*E*R*D" and produces music for a lot of other artists. This song is just one of many greats he has made. Like many other songs that get radio airplay, it has been completely overplayed and oversaturated, hence losing its value.

Check out some of his other work before you call him a one-hit wonder, Judgey McJudgerson.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by beeman77 beeman77 wrote:

This "gent" has been making some great music for much longer than you may think. He formed a VA-based group called "N*E*R*D" and produces music for a lot of other artists. This song is just one of many greats he has made. Like many other songs that get radio airplay, it has been completely overplayed and oversaturated, hence losing its value.

Check out some of his other work before you call him a one-hit wonder, Judgey McJudgerson.

I just looked at his discography.  Seems all his singles except for this one, are ones that "featured" someone bigger, or were ones he was "featured" on.  I don't quite get this "featuring" phenomenon.  Can these artists not stand on their own when it comes to making hit music?  To me, it seems kinda gimmicky...a way for otherwise mediocre artists to establish a name.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by beeman77 beeman77 wrote:

Check out some of his other work before you call him a one-hit wonder, Judgey McJudgerson.LOL
I think not.
If I want 'bubblegum for the brain', I'll choose whatever music I like - enjoy whatever style You like. Sorry I stepped on one of your heroes - well, no I'm not.LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic