Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It sure is quiet in here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 63>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:36pm
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:49pm

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:56pm
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

They were proud of the sh*t they took...

They may not have been incredibly "good", but I think they were great...and perfect for the times. That song/performance is one of the best I've seen on Youtube. And, as much as I like the Animals, GFR's version is better.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

They were proud of the sh*t they took...

They may not have been incredibly "good", but I think they were great...and perfect for the times. That song/performance is one of the best I've seen on Youtube. And, as much as I like the Animals, GFR's version is better. 

As I wrote in a YouTube response, possibly to that same Reaction video, when I was in jr high school, I was a Grand Funk fanatic. 

I had a few of their albums and wore the grooves off of them.

Hence, I think my parents hated them.

Mark Farner was my hero.

I wanted to BE that guy worse than anyone I can ever remember being in awe of.

The long hair, the athlete's build, the arm band around the right bicep, the guitar chops.... 

I'd stare at the photo on the inside cover of the Closer To Home album and imagine that being me screaming into the mic in front of the adoring crowd....

And as far as the criticism is concerned, one or more of their albums was produced by Todd Rundgren, so that probably lends something to their musicianship.

Down and dirty, three man rock-n-roll band sound.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:08pm

Yeah, Farner was the epitome of cool. Wasn't he? Who wouldn't want to look like him?

I think the Red Album blew out the right speaker on the 60's console stereo in our living room. Yet that album still sounded good.

For awhile, my fave GFR song was Heartbreaker, then Into the Sun, then Mr. Limousine Driver. I loved that early stuff. Oh, and Inside Looking Out.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:13pm

Yeah, Farner was the epitome of cool. Wasn't he? Who wouldn't want to look like him?

I think the Red Album blew out the right speaker on the 60's console stereo in our living room. Yet it still sounded good.

I think Survival was the last album of theirs I bought, just for "Feelin Alright" my favorite song for a long time.

This later on, became my favorite GFR song, though I never had the (their first) album....

Too cool, baby. Cool

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:16pm

Was I Want Freedom on that album? Gimme Shelter? Never really liked their version.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:18pm

Suddenly, I want to listen to Monster by Steppenwolf.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:22pm

Was I Want Freedom on that album? Gimme Shelter? Never really liked their version.

I think Gimme Shelter was on Survival(?) not sure about the other.

Suddenly, I want to listen to Monster by Steppenwolf.

LOL Same here.

Remember that one quite well as Steppenwolf was another of my favorites.

Move Over.

Who Needs Ya?

C'mon, man!
commercialssuck View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commercialssuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:22am

Just last night. I was reading an article (from the early 70s), discussing why young people liked this Grand Funk Railroad crap.

Now THAT is funny!! I know every new generation has to have a new style of music that their parents generation inevitably hates!

For instance, as much as I can listen to some punk (real punk from the 70's/80's) I can only imagine the horror our parents felt when hearing some of that. Some of it is pretty awful listening to it now.

But I think we can all agree can't we that rap and hip hop and clap tracks are the worst style of "music" to ever be invented. Except maybe hippy folk music. LOL No, I'm kidding, kidding!!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commercialssuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:38am

Originally posted by commercialssuck commercialssuck wrote:

I'm with Thor on this one. What a sh*tty song. Why do people like someone rapping (talking in monotone) over an electronic clap track. What happened to singing, in key without auto-tune? And I guess real musicians playing real instruments is asking too much. 

I know there have been some crappy music in the past, but this trend of forcing rap into every genre of known music is sickening and downright lazy! I know there are still some great artists out there, but you sure won't find them on the radio! Sad how times have changed.

Well, the first thing to consider is, who buys and listens to that crap?

Kids, that's who.

And we all know that kids have crappy, immature taste in everything. Especially the ones of today.

You might as well have asked why they prefer cake, ice cream, candy and soda pop over a hearty, balanced meal.

Because they're dumb kids with crappy, immature tastes. 

Yep! I think you hit the nail on the head. Course every once in a while I will see an older person that claims they are "into" rap and actually listen to it. I have to question their sanity.

I would like to think that if I grew up in this era, that I would still dislike rap just because it sucks. Of course, I grew up in a very musical household, so I tended to look at music differently. My dad played guitar, piano and drums, and I became very proficient on the drums and so I tended to look at music from a musician's viewpoint. Through my dad, I was exposed to all sorts of real music, stuff that wasn't just on the radio while I was growing up.

I can remember blasting the stereo and playing my drums along to the likes of Ronnie Milsap, The Ventures, Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, Bread, Ricky Nelson and many others along with the current music on the radio at the time. Music has been and always will be a VERY important part of my life, so I really take offense when I see that quality (or lack of) that it has come to these days. Come to think of it, kids these days probably wouldn't appreciate good music if it slapped them upside the head.

OTOH, quite often I will be listening to some old good music on YouTube, and see numerous comments from younger people saying how much they love the "old" music because to them the "new" music has no feeling or emotion and with the old music they can feel the joy and the warmth and the love that was put into writing and recording those old songs. So, not all the current crop of idiotic youth buy the BS from the music "industry". Thank GOD!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commercialssuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:45am
Originally posted by radioandnascarfan radioandnascarfan wrote:

I'm with Thor on this one. What a sh*tty song. Why do people like someone rapping (talking in monotone) over an electronic clap track. What happened to singing, in key without auto-tune? And I guess real musicians playing real instruments is asking too much.

I know there have been some crappy music in the past, but this trend of forcing rap into every genre of known music is sickening and downright lazy! I know there are still some great artists out there, but you sure won't find them on the radio! Sad how times have changed.

Most music made after 1995 has stunk.

I know many country songs today have rap or use rap beats in them and they're all terrible.

I absolutely CANNOT believe that country music caved and introduced rap and clap/snap tracks to their genre, and that anyone likes it!!!!Angry

I have never been a big country fan, and have really been turned off the the so called Bro-country. Some of it really is abysmal. But it sounds fantastic compared to the rap/clap/snap country you are talking about. I mean country with rap and snap tracks is no longer country. Am I right?

What's next, let's add clap tracks and rap to classical music. Please tell me it hasn't been done already. PLEASE!! Classical with a disco beat was bad enough in the 70's.LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:17pm

I'm with Thor on this one. What a sh*tty song. Why do people like someone rapping (talking in monotone) over an electronic clap track. What happened to singing, in key without auto-tune? And I guess real musicians playing real instruments is asking too much. 

I know many country songs today have rap or use rap beats in them and they're all terrible.

I absolutely CANNOT believe that country music caved and introduced rap and clap/snap tracks to their genre, and that anyone likes it!!!!Angry

I have never been a big country fan, and have really been turned off the the so called Bro-country. Some of it really is abysmal. But it sounds fantastic compared to the rap/clap/snap country you are talking about. I mean country with rap and snap tracks is no longer country. Am I right? 

What's next, let's add clap tracks and rap to classical music. Please tell me it hasn't been done already. PLEASE!! Classical with a disco beat was bad enough in the 70's.LOL

Well taking into account everything you've said in the past couple of posts or so, and AGREEING with it wholeheartedly, I will say this re: rap music.... as with anything else, if you're exposed to enough of it, occasionally, and in spite of yourself, you'll inexplicably run across something that kind of strikes your fancy.

Re: country/rap, several years ago, I saw this black guy who calls himself Cowboy Troy, perform this song on one some late night show and I gotta admit, I got a big kick out of it....

Hick Hop. LOL

Rap or no rap, it's kinda hard to not rock out to that one... Wink

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:23pm

Seems critics are in love with this song. It was released this week by Cardi B, and is called WAP, which stands for Wet Ass Pussy.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:25pm
Sick

I got through less than a minute of that slop.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:29pm

Hey, dem nigga bitches be empowered yo.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:43pm

Hey, dem nigga bitches be empowered yo.

"Empowered" must mean "nasty low rent ghetto trash" then.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:50pm
Critics are so afraid of offending
black people and achieving the wrath of BLM (my opinion) that they've absolutely been gushing over it.

For instance, from Wikipedia...
John Caramanica of the NY Times deemed it "an event record that transcends the event itself", and stated that both rappers "are exuberant, sharp and extremely, extremely vividly detailed" in the song that "luxuriates in raunch".[12] Rania Aniftos of Billboard described the song as a "twerk-ready, scorching banger".[19] Mikael Wood of Los Angeles Times deemed it a "savage, nasty, sex-positive triumph" and stated that "the women's vocal exuberance is the show—the way they tear into each perfectly rendered lyric and chew up the words like meat".[18] From the same paper, Christi Carras wrote that the song "carries a political weight that men rapping about sex doesn't".

"Sex-positive"??! They're espousing prostition, fer Chrissakes!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 1:21pm

Critics are so afraid of offending
black people and achieving the wrath of BLM (my opinion) that they've absolutely been gushing over it.

For instance, from Wikipedia...
John Caramanica of the NY Times deemed it "an event record that transcends the event itself", and stated that both rappers "are exuberant, sharp and extremely, extremely vividly detailed" in the song that "luxuriates in raunch".[12] Rania Aniftos of Billboard described the song as a "twerk-ready, scorching banger".[19] Mikael Wood of Los Angeles Times deemed it a "savage, nasty, sex-positive triumph" and stated that "the women's vocal exuberance is the show—the way they tear into each perfectly rendered lyric and chew up the words like meat".[18] From the same paper, Christi Carras wrote that the song "carries a political weight that men rapping about sex doesn't".

"Sex-positive"??! They're espousing prostition, fer Chrissakes!

I'm sure someone paid those whores (the critics, not the other whores) a pretty penny to gush that slop.

Think about it.... you're a nobody hack writer with a degree in journalism who can't expound on any kind of serious subject matter, but you managed to bullsh*t (or suck/f**k) your way onto the staff of a major publication as a "music critic", where all you have to do is gush a lot of effusive, florid sounding adjectives over whatever crap your superiors tell you to, because the paper was paid off by the record company who put the slop out, or maybe the record company is partially owned by the paper, or vice-versa or God only knows what.... so in order to keep your cushy job and collect the nice, fat, under the table bribe the record company offered you on the side to make it "extra good"... what would you do?

You'd make this nasty, no talent piece of gutter filth out to be the new Aretha Franklin, that's what you'd do.

And, I suppose, so would I.

Then I'd go out and get real drunk to try to wash the sh*t off what's left of my conscience. Dead

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 2:21pm

Yeah, that about sums it up.

I also think there's pressure to lionize everything that comes out of the black community.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:46pm
I'm not a fan of Rap music either, that PooFu song just kind of grabbed me while I was helping the wife move her stuff.  Maybe it's the association with a good movie that makes me like this...

I like all kinds of music if it's done right.

Country...

I got to see an old friend today.  That means I get some different food for a day or 2.  Tongue

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:47pm

I know many country songs today have rap or use rap beats in them and they're all terrible.

Country music was mostly decent up until 2013. I've always been a big fan of country because my late grandmother liked country more than any other genre. When Cruise by Florida Georgia Line came out, that's when the bro-country movement started. Since then, it's been mostly pop with a twangy accent. FGL, Sam Hunt and Jake Owen are some of the worst of today's so-called "country". Even the female artists are more pop than country too. Cowboy Troy at least sounds more country than the bro-country artists we have now.

I'm actually almost 22 and prefer music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Most of the concerts I've gone to are from the nostalgia circuit. I've actually met some of the artists and had pictures taken with them. This doesn't happen at most concerts, only at the small venues. I was pretty much raised on my parent's music and find most of today's music awful.

My grandfather was a big fan of crooners like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra and would even say that some of the softer musicians were "yelling and screaming". Yeah right, James Taylor rarely ever screams in his music.

For parents who are boomers, it's about how they don't like most rap, and it's going to continue with each aging generation.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:29pm

Country music was mostly decent up until 2013. I've always been a big fan of country because my late grandmother liked country more than any other genre. When Cruise by Florida Georgia Line came out, that's when the bro-country movement started. Since then, it's been mostly pop with a twangy accent. FGL, Sam Hunt and Jake Owen are some of the worst of today's so-called "country". Even the female artists are more pop than country too. Cowboy Troy at least sounds more country than the bro-country artists we have now.

I'm actually almost 22 and prefer music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Most of the concerts I've gone to are from the nostalgia circuit. I've actually met some of the artists and had pictures taken with them. This doesn't happen at most concerts, only at the small venues. I was pretty much raised on my parent's music and find most of today's music awful.

My grandfather was a big fan of crooners like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra and would even say that some of the softer musicians were "yelling and screaming". Yeah right, James Taylor rarely ever screams in his music.

For parents who are boomers, it's about how they don't like most rap, and it's going to continue with each aging generation.

I am literally 3x your age Ouch Cry 

I grew up listening to my dad's country music.

Most old time country music fans like to cite Hank Williams Sr. as their favorite country singer, but my dad was a Hank Thompson fan.

These two songs occupied the flip sides of a 45 rpm record my dad liked to play occasionally...

There's a guy who plays guitar and posts videos on YouTube of him doing a lot of that old music who I enjoy watching occasionally.

I'm heading out right now, but I'll post two or three that I think you'd like later on.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm

My non-commercial, lower-end-of-the-dial radio station, WFMU, just played this country obscurity. On the comment board, someone said it was racist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 63>
  Share Topic