Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Bang Theory = Big Bust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Bang Theory = Big Bust
    Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:45am

Hmmmmm...

Sponsored Links

Sandra View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:08am
I don't find The Big Bang Theory all that funny.  I think the funniest thing that happened on the show was Penny saying she sided with Sheldon's girlfriend when she claimed he was an embarrassment. She offered to let Sheldon tell his side of the story, and then once he spoke two words she said, "Yep, still agree with your girlfriend," and went back to sleep...Pretty sad that I found that the funniest monment of what I've seen of TBBT....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:52pm
Haven't seen the Brit version but the "Michael Scott" character sounds like a great pillock.

A right twonk.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 5:53am
I didn't find the British one depressing. I found it hilarious, because it really shows what an embarrassment and a failure of a boss he is, and there's none of this "Ah, we tolerate him because he's cute" sense, those co-workers are really embarrassed by him and the things he does.

Also, there's a massive inflatable willy in one episode.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 5:24am
I never found the American version of "the Office" to be funny, so I'll definitely skip the apparently depressing British one (which also spawned just as badly unfunny (BK?) ads over here....)
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by mechasus mechasus wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Here's Ricky Gervais' explanation of the difference between British and American humor (he writes for both audiences):

Question: Do you write differently for British and American audiences?
Gervais:    No, I… I don’t change it.  I mean, the difference, you know, if we’re talking about the big 2, Britain and America, sorry, rest of the world, that’s not true.  That was a joke.  But the difference between English or British humor and American humor, it’s usually in the production as opposed to the finish core and how it… how it comes across.  But if there is a difference and… I suppose I’m not an expert, it’s all guess work but just take the… the sort of I’ve been involved with “The Office” transfer, the remake, the American remake, well, it’s different.  They’re slightly smarter.  They’ve got better teeth.  They got more ambition.  They’re slightly broader.  But the big difference is the Americans are more optimistic.  And that’s due to the fact that Americans are told, they can become the next president of United States.  And they can.  British people are told, it won’t happen to you.  And they carry that.  They carry that with them.  We… We champion the underdog.  We champion the underdog to the point where it’s not an underdog anymore and it annoys us. 

I'll gladly trade with him, I'm tired of all of this blind, stupid, idealistic illusion in America while people are getting f**k*d out of life, liberty, and justice every day. AngryAngryAngry

Can I be President? Of the couch, maybe. What do you think I am, a rich kiss-ass?

Well said. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

mechasus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 6:51pm

Here's Ricky Gervais' explanation of the difference between British and American humor (he writes for both audiences):

Gervais:    No, I… I don’t change it.  I mean, the difference, you know, if we’re talking about the big 2, Britain and America, sorry, rest of the world, that’s not true.  That was a joke.  But the difference between English or British humor and American humor, it’s usually in the production as opposed to the finish core and how it… how it comes across.  But if there is a difference and… I suppose I’m not an expert, it’s all guess work but just take the… the sort of I’ve been involved with “The Office” transfer, the remake, the American remake, well, it’s different.  They’re slightly smarter.  They’ve got better teeth.  They got more ambition.  They’re slightly broader.  But the big difference is the Americans are more optimistic.  And that’s due to the fact that Americans are told, they can become the next president of United States.  And they can.  British people are told, it won’t happen to you.  And they carry that.  They carry that with them.  We… We champion the underdog.  We champion the underdog to the point where it’s not an underdog anymore and it annoys us. 

I'll gladly trade with him, I'm tired of all of this blind, stupid, idealistic illusion in America while people are getting f**k*d out of life, liberty, and justice every day. AngryAngryAngry

Can I be President? Of the couch, maybe. What do you think I am, a rich kiss-ass?
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

^They had them, but they weren't the driving force of the comedy, and also, both had plenty of less-than-happy endings.

Also, to be fair, Fawlty Towers had an American at its helm.

The dialogue was the primary source of their comedy, and much of the dialogue is stuff like those "witty retortes" and "here's a funny line" things. Yes, the situations they were in is what lead to the dialogue, but that's also the case for many of the American comedies.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:15pm

I guess some people don't like a talking moose.

Or counting butter.

Meh.

They can have their fake nerds & three-sex-jokes-a-minute "comedy".

We'll continue to enjoy our classic Britcoms.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:09pm

I guess some people don't like a talking moose.

Or counting butter.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Damn, even your conversation is boring.

I don't remember that line.

Which episode was it from?

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:03pm
Damn, even your conversation is boring.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 10:35pm
"Why do you even want to hang up that eyesore?"

"It lends a bit of gentility to the place."

"Couldn't you at least take the apple out of its mouth?"
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 10:30pm
Then afterwards, he'd try to mount the pig's head on the wall with the help of his bumbling, Spanish best man who speaky-no-Englais, only to have it fall & hit him on the head, putting him the hospital with a concussion that made him delerious, but he'd escape from his bed, go back to the reception & insult his German guests by constantly referring to WWII & Hitler, culminating in him goose-stepping back & forth in front of them, until one of the women breaks down in tears & one of the men looks at the other one & asks "How did zey effer beat us????"

Or something like that....

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 10:22pm
Marks and Spencers actually sells a three-tier Cheese "cake" (as in, three wheels of cheese, in pyramiding sizes). That could have been a good wedding cake for them.

The bridesmaids could be Hawaiian girls and carry a roasted pig around.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 10:10pm
Don't know.... never kept up with his marital status.

I'd heard that he & Booth were divorced & just assumed he'd remarried.

I wonder if had he met a woman whose last name was Hamm, would he have changed his last name back to Cheese as it originally was, just so they could announce the wedding of Hamm & Cheese.

Then honeymooned in the Sandwich Islands...

Naaaahhhhhh....

But what a great headline it would have made:

Hamm and Cheese to wed then honeymoon in Sandwich Islands

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 8:54pm
Yeah, Connie Booth is American.

Does John Clese ever marry any other type?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 5:33pm

Gervais:    No, I… I don’t change it.  I mean, the difference, you know, if we’re talking about the big 2, Britain and America, sorry, rest of the world, that’s not true.  That was a joke.  But the difference between English or British humor and American humor, it’s usually in the production as opposed to the finish core and how it… how it comes across.  But if there is a difference and… I suppose I’m not an expert, it’s all guess work but just take the… the sort of I’ve been involved with “The Office” transfer, the remake, the American remake, well, it’s different.  They’re slightly smarter.  They’ve got better teeth.  They got more ambition.  They’re slightly broader.  But the big difference is the Americans are more optimistic.  And that’s due to the fact that Americans are told, they can become the next president of United States.  And they can.  British people are told, it won’t happen to you.  And they carry that.  They carry that with them.  We… We champion the underdog.  We champion the underdog to the point where it’s not an underdog anymore and it annoys us. 

Well, all that aside, I think that American sitcoms, at least the CURRENT ones, are created to appeal to young, hipster audiences. I feel there's just a lot more pandering to popular youth culture & way too much emphasis on sex & jokes about sex.

That's not to say there haven't been some good, intelligent American sitcoms recently. The Office (speaking of Ricky Gervais) was a truly great one. Parks & Recreation is another. Scrubs was great, even though they relied a little too much on sex based humor. Same with pre-AK 2½ M.

That's also not to say that the current Britcoms don't do the same thing. I think the Britcoms I tend to prefer are the older ones from the 70's thru 90's.

I don't know what age group the current crop of Britcoms caters to because I don't get to watch most of them, but I would guess that there might be a broader appeal as far as the age group of the target audience is concerned, with more older people playing major roles.

There's one fairly recent Britcom they've recently begun showing here called "The Cafe". The three main characters are a 20-something girl, her mother & grandmother. The supporting characters are both old & young.

I just like seeing older, more mature characters in TV shows.

These shows that are all about young hipsters or that are meant to appeal to young hipsters, just do nothing for me.

I think BBT falls into that category.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I thought that was all John Cleese's creation.
It was equal parts John Cleese and Connie Booth. In fact, I think she wrote a few of the big gags, like the "Firefly" bit.

She was his wife at the time, though.

Was she American?

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

It was equal parts John Cleese and Connie Booth. In fact, I think she wrote a few of the big gags, like the "Firefly" bit.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 2:43pm

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 1:56pm

C'mon, man!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 8:16am
^They had them, but they weren't the driving force of the comedy, and also, both had plenty of less-than-happy endings.

Also, to be fair, Fawlty Towers had an American at its helm.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 5:56am

No happy ending for anyone, no witty retortes, in fact, not even anything exceptionally funny in the "Here's a funny line, laugh." sense...

Fawlty Towers and Are You Being Served? are both British, and both had tons of the above.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 2:39am
Love that episode.

All-knowing divine punishment for killing a wood louse. And toilet ferns.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic