Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NOOOO!!! Military Channel changes name, mission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NOOOO!!! Military Channel changes name, mission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOOOO!!! Military Channel changes name, mission
    Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 3:42am
The Military Channel will change its name and programming in a couple of months. Start March 3 the Military Channel will be renamed as American Heroes Channel, and will no longer focus exclusively on military-themed programming. The announcement was made by Discovery Communications at the Television Critics Association Press Tour.

From Entertainment Weekly site:

Military Channel rebranding as American Heroes Channel: Better or worse?

Although America is a country born from acts of heroism on the battlefield, true heroism isn’t reserved solely for military,” said the network’s general manager, Kevin Bennett. “We know our viewers love the stories of real-world valor presented by our signature military series, and American Heroes Channel will remain the destination for military fans. However, we’re excited to offer viewers a more diverse voice and storytelling style with American Heroes Channel that captures the best of the Military Channel’s niche appeal while providing viewers with additional insight into contemporary world events and biographical stories.

An example of non-military programming that the network will cover: Scientists who worked at NASA during the 1950s and ’60s space race.

Not that I wouldn't be interested in the history of people involved in the space race.

My suspicion, however, is that:

"Contemporary world events and biographical stories" = Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. AngryAngryAngry

Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 3:49am

We could always use another channel that features 4-hour blocks of COPS reruns.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 11:56pm
Well, yesterday they showed 2 one hour shows called "Who was Jesus." After that was "Bible Mysteries".
Was Jesus in the military?
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Was Jesus in the military?

No, but Judah Ben-Hur was, at least in the Movie. BTW The Roman Navy DID NOT have slaves row their ships, If you were "Enlisted" (or drafted) You most likely would man an oar. When your ship rammed an enemy ship (or were rammed) You would not wait there doing nothing, instead you'd grab a shield and a sword and get ready to Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuble Angry (I just had to say that)! LOL On the other hand Commercial Ships were another story, as they would have slaves at their oars.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 12:31am
No, but Judah Ben-Hur was, at least in the Movie.

Was that the part Charlton Heston played?  Loved the chariot race.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 1:14am
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

The Military Channel will change its name and programming in a couple of months. Start March 3 the Military Channel will be renamed as American Heroes Channel, and will no longer focus exclusively on military-themed programming. The announcement was made by Discovery Communications at the Television Critics Association Press Tour.

From Entertainment Weekly site:

Military Channel rebranding as American Heroes Channel: Better or worse?

Although America is a country born from acts of heroism on the battlefield, true heroism isn’t reserved solely for military,” said the network’s general manager, Kevin Bennett. “We know our viewers love the stories of real-world valor presented by our signature military series, and American Heroes Channel will remain the destination for military fans. However, we’re excited to offer viewers a more diverse voice and storytelling style with American Heroes Channel that captures the best of the Military Channel’s niche appeal while providing viewers with additional insight into contemporary world events and biographical stories.

An example of non-military programming that the network will cover: Scientists who worked at NASA during the 1950s and ’60s space race.

Not that I wouldn't be interested in the history of people involved in the space race.

My suspicion, however, is that:

"Contemporary world events and biographical stories" = Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. AngryAngryAngry

People need heroes - especially our youth.
Not all heroes are in the military.
We are always bombarded with bad news and bad examples which always make headlines over good news.
The military channel was a nice 'history teacher', but then again, taught a lot about existing weapons and attittudes in a 'Cliff's Notes Fashion'. Sometimes we saw things we would hope they never would need, yet stood the possibility of influencing them and the psycho-survivalists running out to get their own 'legal versions' (that really serve no practical purpose). 
Role Models are needed now more than ever and something tells me Mama June and Honey Piglet may not make it here.
Now, having said that, I'll remain skeptical about what's to come with this channel I rarely watched, anyway. I'm really hoping it isn't simply regrouped & repackaged reruns, but maybe something different. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

No, but Judah Ben-Hur was, at least in the Movie.

Was that the part Charlton Heston played?  Loved the chariot race.

Yes, it was the part Charlie played in the Movie. I read somewhare that a remake of Ben Hur is being made. Five will get you ten this remake will ...

DeadTANK!Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 11:06pm
It was a pretty good channel back in the day, when they aired documentaries on the history of various wars, details from them, and did interviews with WWII veterans to get a first-hand account of the events. But it took a turn for the worse when it became the "HOORAH 'MURICUH!" channel, featuring mostly episodes of shows with angry looking bald guys talking about whatever expensive unnecessary guff the government is wasting taxpayer money on to fight foes that don't even exist. If it takes us that sort of technology to fight some guys with IEDs and Soviet surplus AK's, I'd hate to see what would happen if a real threat emerged.
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 4:06am
This is just friggin' wonderful! Why they don't they air reruns of Ancient Aliens and a start a Thanksgiving/Fourth of July/Christmas/ Easter movie marathon of Indiana Jones, Superman, and Batman and all their sequels and prequels!  

OH I CAN TASTE THE PUKE NOW! What the sh*t is wrong with Cable TV? They need learn to leave things alone. 

I trust this channel's manager less than a used car salesman.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 5:48am
I don't get the so called Militar...I meant American Heroes Channel, but I suppose they can start airing movie marathons of police dramas and TV shows nowadays. Hell, put blocks of Cops on just like TruTV! Hell, put Beverly Hills Cop on twice a day!! I don't care - will never watch it.

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 6:51pm
First off, why do we need "a more diverse voice and storytelling style" (cough REALITY SHOWS cough) giving us "additional insight into contemporary world events and biographical stories"(cough WHITE TRASH cough)??? Seriously, I already get about 80 channels of that garbage!!!

How about developing shows about the background history of our conflicts in Panama, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan? How about documentaries of behind the scenes military people? Communications, psy ops, airlift, naval support? How about the stories of famous, now-closed military bases at home an abroad, showing them at their height and through their decline?

There is a world of possibilities for filling program hours on TMC, if anyone had half a brain. That's  not the problem. Someone in cable-land sees another potential dumpster channel, and they will have it.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 10:41am
I'll bet one of the first "new" shows on the rebranded Military Channel will be about those heroic explorers risking mosquito bites and hangnails to prove that Bigfoot is real.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

I'll bet one of the first "new" shows on the rebranded Military Channel will be about those heroic explorers risking mosquito bites and hangnails to prove that Bigfoot is real.

Sounds like some show I watched the other day called Mountain Monsters.  A buncha Appalachians who look a lot like the Duck Dynasty guys search for some sorta huge mythological monster dragon lizard thing that's been killing their livestock.  They find all sorts of evidence of this "monster", but of course they never actually find it.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 5:03am
I don't think it will affect me very much. The "military" channel is already pretty much down the toilet. If they are not showing re-runs for the 20th time (Hitler's bodyguards). They are showing natural disasters which would be OK if they showed military assistance. Discovery network has pretty much ran it's course as far as I am concerned (90% "non reallity" drivel). If they accidentaly broadcast something I actually have an interest in I get 3 minutes of program for 5 minutes of commercials. No thanks.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 1:48am
^^ You must have missed "Hitler's Secret Weapons".
The Nazis had the first Storm Troopers.Wink

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 5:18pm
I checked the schedule for 8:00 AM through 11:00 AM. Hitler's Bodyguards followed by back to back Nazi Collaborators.
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 2:29pm
Yesterday, I found that Animal Planet was showing the former Discovery Channel staple Dirty Jobs...although I did see an animal in it (a rat in a storm drain that Mike Rowe was cleaning).

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 3:19pm

I pay little attention any more to the original "missions" for such channels.  Maybe this all started when MTV ceased being about music, and became more about the granddaddy of reality TV---The Real World.  On the Bio Channel nowadays, you're more likely to learn about flipping a house than see an actual biography.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 3:43pm
The problem with these cable "specialty channels" is that there is only so much original content pertaining to their subject out there for them to broadcast , so soon, they're either just rerunning the same crap over & over again or they begin to "get creative" & start showing crap that's tangentially related at best & then, after awhile longer, they just abandon all pretense of sticking to their original format.

Just one more reason I'm glad I don't pay for cable.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

BTW The Roman Navy DID NOT have slaves row their ships, If you were "Enlisted" (or drafted) You most likely would man an oar. When your ship rammed an enemy ship (or were rammed) You would not wait there doing nothing, instead you'd grab a shield and a sword and get ready to Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuble (I just had to say that)!

You mean they were going to spend Russian money?????

Why, for heaven's sake???

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

The problem with these cable "specialty channels" is that there is only so much original content pertaining to their subject out there for them to broadcast , so soon, they're either just rerunning the same crap over & over again or they begin to "get creative" & start showing crap that's tangentially related at best & then, after awhile longer, they just abandon all pretense of sticking to their original format.

Really.  I see that sometime this year, the Biography Channel is going to change its name to FYI, and (per Wiki) bill itself as "a contemporary lifestyle network".  

I guess a contemporary lifestyle includes Alien Encounters.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 10:51pm
Didn't know there was a Biography channel.

Adding to what Tampy mentioned above, Animal Planet has been showing this show called "Tree House Masters"(or something like that). A tree house specialty crew that travels the country to build luxury tree homes for folks with thousands of dollars burning a hole in their pocket.
Nothing to do at all with animals.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 7:33pm
I have DISH. Yesterday their program guide still listed MIL. Today it has changed to AHC. The first programs I see listed are: Atlantis Uncovered, Pompeii Back From the Dead, and 3 episodes of Who Was Jesus? If for some reason I actually watched this drivel it would be interesting to keep track of how many American Heroes are featured!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 12:24am
I noticed the name change earlier this week along with an actual new show. Other than that 1 show, I've seen nothing but repeats from the "old" MIL.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 12:39am

You'd think that, right now, it'd be a good time for one of these channels to air a documentary on the history of Russia---but I guess that'd be expecting too much.  Yeah, I understand this channel is about American heroes, but if they can air shows about Atlantis and Pompeii, they can air one about Russia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic