Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Today's Pet Peeve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Today's Pet Peeve
    Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 12:33am
Any of you remember Erma Bombeck? I got lucky and was introduced to her books when I was a teen. She always talked about "pet peeves," and many were things that bothered me, too. Unfortunately mine aren't nearly as funny as when she tells them.

One-Size-Fits-All is a crap rule and no company should ever be able to use. I like having smaller feet and hands but you literally have to order gloves, socks, house slippers, etc. online or from catalog unless you live in a large city.

Two extra inches in the toe of your socks is simply awful and might also mean you have to get a larger shoe to accommodate them. If you put the excess material at the heel then it ends up "bubbling up" above
your shoe!

Likewise gloves that are too big mean there is an extra inch at the tips of your gloves and make it even harder to pick things up.

House slippers/shoes are a pain because they are almost always only full sizes like 6-7 and I wear 6 and 1/2. Since house shoes have very little support that means your foot slides around all over the place.

And if you find these products in the size you really need, they are almost always much more expensive brands.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:27am
On the sock thing, have you tried buying the children's sizes?

I'm a size 6-7 in males, and since socks that are "Size 6-11" are REALLY "size 11 and if you're smaller the heel is all the way up your calf", I found it's a lot easier to just buy boy's socks that actually fit right.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:47am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

On the sock thing, have you tried buying the children's sizes?

I'm a size 6-7 in males, and since socks that are "Size 6-11" are REALLY "size 11 and if you're smaller the heel is all the way up your calf", I found it's a lot easier to just buy boy's socks that actually fit right.

Seconded.  The smaller sizes work perfectly.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:48am
I used to read Erma Bombeck's column in the paper when I was a teen as well.

Always enjoyed her writing.

If you think it sucks not being able to find socks & gloves small enough to fit you, just think how it sucks to not be able to find pants big enough to fit you.

I cannot find pants in the stores at all.

Kmart used to have a really good big & tall section, but there are no more Kmarts anymore.

Fortunately, I haven't worn long pants in a good 2 or 3 years.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 2:35pm
Jimbo, we still have a K Mart near us. Try them online.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 2:48pm
We have one fairly near me, but I wear long pants so infrequently anymore, I haven't been there in a long time.

I don't think I'd be comfortable buying pants online either, because I have to try them on before buying them.

Hopefully, I can make the couple of pairs I have last another.... 20 years?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Jimbo, we still have a K Mart near us. Try them online.

Y'mean, buy clothes on-line?  I don't think I'd ever do that, aside from the occasional novelty clothing item, like the big-faced t-shirts*.  I need to actually see the clothes I buy, as sizes vary by brand.

* Here's one for Papa Lazarou:

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:24am
I've had good luck buying shoes online at Amazon. Have tried both KMart & Walmart cheapo shoes, but they all either killed my feet or fell apart.
Pant waist size differences are my pet peeve. A size 32 should fit the same. Not one pair require a belt and the next almost suffocate me trying to zip them up.Angry  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:37am
I used to get these really great Everlast running shoe-style sneakers at Kmart for dirt cheap.

Real brushed leather uppers & sturdy, long wearing soles.

Plus, they had the velcro straps rather than laces.

Sadly, Everlast stopped making them & the same style shoe at Walmart has synthetic uppers & are dirt cheap in terms of quality as well as price.

And because the synthetic materials don't breathe, they make your feet stink.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:59am

I bought some "synthetic uppers" shoes at Payless once.  They hurt my feet, and think they actually did long-lasting damage.  For about a month, my feet hurt so bad, I had to wear sandals to work.  With sox!

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 1:31am
Pet Peeve for today:

Every day since about mid-November Americans were hounded to make, eat, try all kinds of high fat, high sugar foods. Family members bake once-a-year foods; pies, cookies, candy, egg nog. Parties, family get-togethers, football parties, etc.

But NOW--get that weight off. Buy that exercise equipment, start the slimfast, weight watchers, blah, blah, blah diet. Buy the equipment to help make healthier food: blenders, pans and grills that drain off the fat.

Please, make up your minds. No wonder so many people have food issues!

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 1:35am

Well, those people volunteered for all that.  No one forced them into that cycle.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:32am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Pet Peeve for today:

Every day since about mid-November Americans were hounded to make, eat, try all kinds of high fat, high sugar foods. Family members bake once-a-year foods; pies, cookies, candy, egg nog. Parties, family get-togethers, football parties, etc.

I find quite a few of the recipes they post in the newspaper & magazines to be suspect.  For instance, one said to toast oats at 350F for 10-15 minutes.  Sorry, at that temp they're done in about 2 minutes (and burning oats can stink up a house for days, if they don't catch fire in your oven first.)   In another one you were supposed to use something like 2 or 3 bulbs of garlic (whoa!)  I have a nice collection of recipe books from the 50's & early 60's that has good stuff in it that won't kill me trying to make it....  Wink
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 2:05pm

Pet Peeve for today:

But NOW--get that weight off. Buy that exercise equipment, start the slimfast, weight watchers, blah, blah, blah diet. Buy the equipment to help make healthier food: blenders, pans and grills that drain off the fat.

In other words, work and starve your ass off in January, only to binge on Superbowl Sunday!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

I find quite a few of the recipes they post in the newspaper & magazines to be suspect.  For instance, one said to toast oats at 350F for 10-15 minutes.  Sorry, at that temp they're done in about 2 minutes (and burning oats can stink up a house for days, if they don't catch fire in your oven first.)   In another one you were supposed to use something like 2 or 3 bulbs of garlic (whoa!)  I have a nice collection of recipe books from the 50's & early 60's that has good stuff in it that won't kill me trying to make it....  Wink

I recently made potato soup off an internet recipe.  I used half the butter and half the milk (I sub'd water for the rest) called for in the recipe, and it still tasted like I was eating potatoes swimming in butter.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:32pm

Pet Peeve for today:

Because people do this stuff with absolutely no knowledge of nutrition, fitness, etc.

I just bulk during the holidays. :P Gain extra mass over the 4-5 month period of holidays, then I cut down the fat gain, then repeat the cycle.

If everyone gained even just less than 10-15 pounds of muscle (Male AND female), it'd create enough boost to the metabolism to allow their maintenance calories to be higher enough that getting through the holidays without gaining immense weight wouldn't be as easy.

But those things that drain off the fat...seriously, those are UNHEALTHY. XD How do you expect to digest and use any of the vitamins or minerals you eat or take, when so many of them are fat-soluble!?!?!
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I recently made potato soup off an internet recipe.  I used half the butter and half the milk (I sub'd water for the rest) called for in the recipe, and it still tasted like I was eating potatoes swimming in butter.

You should try the one I posted in the Creative forum.  Easy to make (potatoes, water, milk), and you can to add your own flavorings to it....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 4:13am

I recently made potato soup off an internet recipe.

You're lucky you didn't get a virus.

Big smile

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 4:36am

^  Bwa ha ha.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 4:37am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

You should try the one I posted in the Creative forum.  Easy to make (potatoes, water, milk), and you can to add your own flavorings to it....

I'll check it out.  Still have some potatoes from T'giving that I need to use up.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic