Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solicitors / emotional manipulators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solicitors / emotional manipulators
    Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 3:12am
I've been trying to enjoy AMC's Breaking Bad marathon for the last 3 days but every single time the show breaks to commercial, one of a handful of horrendous commercials comes on requesting $0.50/day or $18/mth or $0.60/day. I've dubbed Alyssa Milano the 21st century Sally Struthers. Her & her 2 quarters. I really dislike being emotionally manipulated in an effort to have money extorted from me. Having starving animals flashed in front of my eyes does nothing more than cause me to almost dislocate my arm grabbing for the remote. Susan Sarandon & HEIFER? Where did this come from? I'm not sure I'm going to be able to tune into The Walking Dead marathon if these commercials keep up with this frequency level.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 3:23am

There's a Walking Dead marathon?

ItsAllTME View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 3:41am
LMFAO Thor! It starts at 7am Pacific time tomorrow on AMC.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 4:12am

The first time I watched TWD was at the beginning of a 17-episode marathon (mid-season 2 premiere weekend, February 2012).  I happened upon it right as it was starting.  Figured I'd probably watch a few minutes, and then switch to something else.  That didn't happen.  I was hooked within minutes.  Haven't missed an episode since.

Thanks for the heads-up.

ItsAllTME View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 4:27am
I had the same exact introduction to TWD as you. Season 2 marathon, started watching right in the middle. Hooked indeed. I might have to DVR it so I can FF through the commercials. I seriously cannot take AMC's bombardment of these UNICEF & ASPCA commercials. I'm at the point now where I'm still mumbling obscenities at Milano & Sarandon well after I've changed the channel.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 4:34am

They don't air those during TWD...at least not when the new episodes air.  A lotta commercials, but not those.  Let's hope the marathon doesn't air those.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 4:39am

And that Sarandon/Heifer thing?  She solicits for Heifer International.  I once bought a half a goat to be donated to an African village from them, and did it in my sister-in-law's name.  I wanted to get her the worst gift ever for Christmas one year, and figured that fit the bill.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 5:09am
I think a worse gift would have been to give her half a goat.

Don't take it to a butcher, don't treat it, just find a goat, cut him in half, and stuff one of those halves in a box.

Do it a week before Christmas to give her a full aroma. :P
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Do it a week before Christmas to give her a full aroma. :P

LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
ItsAllTME View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 3:51am
TWD marathon has been fully infiltrated. ASPCA, HEIFER and UNICEF commercials, all within a 20-minute time frame. Grrrr.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 3:59am

I watched a bit here and there.  Kinda busy today.  I'll probably settle in tomorrow and watch more.

I'll keep the remote handy, and my finger on "last".  It's the ones with the animals that get to me.

ItsAllTME View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 4:02am
Having the "last" button on the remote readily accessible comes in quite handy for the scenes with Andrea in them as well ;-)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 4:26am

Originally posted by ItsAllTME ItsAllTME wrote:

Having the "last" button on the remote readily accessible comes in quite handy for the scenes with Andrea in them as well ;-)

I was never a big fan of Andrea, either, especially the way she was kissing up to Shane and then to the Governor.

My faves would be Darryl, Michonne and Herschel (may he RIP).  Rick's OK, too, I guess.  And Carl.

MrFlavor View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrFlavor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:58pm
My favorite is the ad that asks "What would you do if there was a starving child right in front of you begging for help?"

I can answer that! I would call the police, "Hello, yes, there is a starving child begging for help in my living room. I have no idea how he got here, he must have broke in."
windycitykit View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windycitykit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:17pm
Dead Am I a horrible person for getting annoyed with the hungry screaming baby in this ad?
Or...is that their plan, I feel guilty and open my wallet.
But I love the end, with Susan Sarandon, and the big word HEIFER on the screen.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by windycitykit windycitykit wrote:

Dead Am I a horrible person for getting annoyed with the hungry screaming baby in this ad?
Or...is that their plan, I feel guilty and open my wallet.
But I love the end, with Susan Sarandon, and the big word HEIFER on the screen.
QUOTE=Thor]
Originally posted by treos treos wrote:

o.O i think someone should learn how to read the date on posts on a forum. FYI: necro posting isn't a good start to visiting forums but it can be a quick trip to the ban hammer if done consistently (maybe, depends on how tolerant towards necro posting people are around here)

Maybe someone should learn to read the rules. ;)

The thread necromancy limit here is one year from the last post.

http://commercialsihate.com/thread-necromancy-is-now-prohibited

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:01pm

Your link is dead, Thor. Big smile

treos View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:12pm
o.O i don't think my post in thor's quote was necessary here but yeah, that link is indeed dead now (404).
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by MrFlavor MrFlavor wrote:

My favorite is the ad that asks "What would you do if there was a starving child right in front of you begging for help?"

I can answer that! I would call the police, "Hello, yes, there is a starving child begging for help in my living room. I have no idea how he got here, he must have broke in."

Police: " That's okay sir, just shoot it and feed it to your dog. We've had  a lot of calls about that tonight"
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

LOL---I guess it should be.

Let's try again.   If this doesn't work, it's right there in Updates from Admin.

http://commercialsihate.com/thread-necromancy-is-now-prohibited_topic10669.html

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

LOL---I guess it should be.

Let's try again.   If this doesn't work, it's right there in Updates from Admin.

http://commercialsihate.com/thread-necromancy-is-now-prohibited_topic10669.html

LOL
I found it! Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic