Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Puter question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Puter question
    Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 12:37am
One of you puter guys oughta be able to help me, here....

My comp is in sore need of a complete format/reinstall, which is probably good to do every year or so, anyway.  So, I'm ready to go, got all my stuff saved to disk, etc.

Trouble is, I have a reinstallation DVD (XP Media Center 2005), but the BIOS boot system only recognizes a boot from a CD.   Is there any way the F2 setup boot sequence can engage the DVD drive instead of the CD?  It's not a combo drive, which all the online sources seem to assume.

Now, I have done a FnR before, but I cant remember how in the world I did it before.   And, I don't wanna do the default reinstall without the format, because that doesn't really solve much. 

It'snot dire or anything, just good for maintenance and to get a few more years out of the sys before I can afford a new one  (Mac!)

Sponsored Links

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 12:49am
I would either disable the cd rom or make the dvd the primary.
I always reach the point of frustration and do a clean install.

This time I partitioned the hard drive and installed windows on the smaller side and installed all software onto the larger side.  The only bitch is remembering which is which when installations suggest a place to store.

In the long run it makes clean installs easier.
was feeling nostalgic
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 1:02am
Making the DVD the primary makes sense to me (as it can read CDs anyway....)  IIRC, the CD is considered the master and the DVD drive the slave...maybe that's why it doesn't even come up as a boot option? 

Not keen on the whole partitioning idea, though, or using the DVD in Windows option for a reinstall....

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 1:11am
Skerl,
I mis-read your question.

The BIOS would have to recognize the DVD, otherwise, I'd suspect you need a driver of some sort - which implies you have an operational OS to start with.

However, here's a little something to run with....

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 4:55am
Is it just me or was all of that simply tooooooooooo hawt?
Love endures all.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 1:32pm
Here's another thought, go into BIOS and set the boot order for your drives. 

Make your DVD the first choice. 

In fact it may even be disabled as a boot device in BIOS.  You can enable it, then set it as first choice. 

You can always return your C drive as its first choice after the software load has been completed.

Edit: Oh I didn't realize you have a Mac.  Don't know anything about Macs.

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 12:22am
Mmmmm, geek talk turns me onWinkLOL
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 12:36am
msdeli,

It's must be the hard drive.  Wink
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 12:42am
Sure as hell beats a "floppy disk"Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic