Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USA network cranking up the gay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crackicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA network cranking up the gay
    Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 2:26pm
Since USA got Modern Family, it seems their new shows are all dedicated to gays. Now, I'm all for gay representation in media, but I think USA may be overdoing it.

I miss Monk and Burn Notice... 3':
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 3:57pm
I know what you mean - provide equal rights and lookie at what happens next! Gotta flood the day-to-day with the 'new politically correct' so it all becomes 'mainstream' immediately.
And with all those limp-wristed states like Colorado and Califruitnia making pot legal? All the weirdos are coming out of the closet and from behind the dumpsters - next thing you know our crime fighters will be getting criticized for trying to stop stoned-out boy-rapes! When will all of us straight-laced decent folk get a break?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 6:13pm
I've heard commercials for a 'Modern Family' show on USA Network on the radio as of late, as well, and they drive me f**king nuts. And I think this sort of sh*t actually does the whole gay rights cause a big disservice, as it's the standard brand of 'fop wrist loud flaming gay man with a lisp and a feminine voice/manner of speech' that is abused again and again as a sort of standard in TV shows and movies.  Given that I live in a tiny town on the ass-end of Ohio, I haven't met a large number of gay men, but none among those that I have met have ever acted like this.

Regardless, it's a loud, obnoxious commercial for a show I have no interest in watching.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

I've heard commercials for a 'Modern Family' show on USA Network on the radio as of late, as well, and they drive me f**king nuts. And I think this sort of sh*t actually does the whole gay rights cause a big disservice, as it's the standard brand of 'fop wrist loud flaming gay man with a lisp and a feminine voice/manner of speech' that is abused again and again as a sort of standard in TV shows and movies.  Given that I live in a tiny town on the ass-end of Ohio, I haven't met a large number of gay men, but none among those that I have met have ever acted like this.

Regardless, it's a loud, obnoxious commercial for a show I have no interest in watching.

Exactly. They want to proclaim how hip and original they are yet they're still using the same "flamer" stereotype from the last 40 years. It makes you wonder if these hollywood writers and producers have ever actually met a gay man. USA's slogan shouldn't be "Characters Welcome" it should be Stereotypes Mandatory. I too live in a tiny hick town and I've met plenty of gays and lesbians who act nothing like their on screen counterparts. You know why? Because they're real people. They're not plot devices and I'm not in a "Very Special Episode." They're real people who act like real people.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 8:40pm
I don't watch the USA network much but they do have some good movies.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 9:15pm

I say, if it's a comedy, you've got to expect some playing up of stereotypes, especially if the character's supposed to be one of the funny ones.  In Modern Family, isn't there also a stereotypical hot Latina woman?  I'll bet if there were 5 Latina women on the show, they wouldn't all be that same character.  

Same with gays.  If there were more than one, I'd bet they wouldn't all be the stereotypical flamer sort.

But if they're going to portray a particular demographic using just one from that group, that person is going to be a bit stereotypical.  How can they make a Jewish or black or even WASP character funny, without playing up that aspect of the character?

Blix View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Blix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 10:14pm
Yes because gays are not people and more LGBT programming means more chances of converting straight families into raging homosexuals. 
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 10:44pm
^That's the truth. :P It's all a plot devised by the Welsh. the gay phagisation of the world is nigh!
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

^That's the truth. :P It's all a plot devised by the Welsh BritFahgs. the gay phagisation of the world is nigh!
AngryGet it right.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 11:45pm
No, it's the Welsh. Russell T. Davies, to be specific.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 12:39am

I'm waiting to hear from GLAAD that they've demanded the networks all have a certain percentage of gays in the shows they broadcast.  And they'd better be the right kind!!

Dirtdog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 2:02am
I'm all for gay advertising maybe it will convert some of you straight assholes so when I go to a club and I'm trying to pick up some ass it won't be a goddam sausage fest vultered around the lone hot chick!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 2:26am
Are you just upset because you're a Vienna among brautwurst?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 3:03am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I too live in a tiny hick town and I've met plenty of gays and lesbians who act nothing like their on screen counterparts. You know why? Because they're real people. They're not plot devices and I'm not in a "Very Special Episode." They're real people who act like real people.

I've met some of both.

About a dozen years or so ago (doesn't seem like that long!!! Shocked) I delivered flowers for a VERY gay florist. He wasn't the little mincing, effeminate pansy type, though. He was the big, hairy, muscular, athletic, leather fetishist mincing effeminate fairy type.

But he occasionally had a few little mincing, effeminate pansy types who worked for him as floral designers from time to time.

This one kid was such a flaming fairy, the guy fired him because he was embarrassing him. Always talking about gay stuff, putting on the exaggerated sissy act, like one time he was sashaying around holding two vases up to his chest like boobs, etc. etc.

Nice, friendly kid. I actually liked him & tried to help him understand why he was pissing them off, but he just kept up the super fairy act in spite of it.

Then there was one who'd get emotional over stuff & cry.

Meh.

Didn't bother me.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 3:08am
They really do tend to stereotype gays on USA.... There was a video on Youtube where gays of all different personalities and races came together to say that yes they were gay, but they were not a stereotype. One guy in the video even looked like the type of guy who bashes gays, and dates lots of women(real macho, macho, man), and when he said he was gay, it was interesting to me, since he did not look like the stereotypical gay man portrayed in the media.... The ad agencies should watch that video to get a better perspective....

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 6:24am

I lived in San Francisco for 22 years, so I knew plenty of gays.  This one gay guy I worked with---Vince---liked to eat McDonalds food for lunch.  Every day around around an hour after he ate, he'd regurgitate large chunks o' cheeseburger into his mouth.  Then he'd open his mouth and show it to me.  Naturally, we became friends.  Then he died.  

Gay guys were dying left and right back then.  Just about all the gays in that department died within a few years of each other.  There were about 6.  I think one of 'em might still be alive.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:39am
I'm pretty sure the women in the first show aren't actually supposed to be gay. 
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 10:40am
^ That is such a touching story.
Thank You, Thor.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 1:48pm
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 9:04pm
I'm certain this will only add more fuel to the fire about why or why not should we have a-la-carte Pay TV. Angry
Poiuyt Power!!!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

Part of me wants gays to be accepted, just so that all the "positive" stereotypes that've been building up around them can start being normalized and go away, too.

I'm tired of people acting like gay guys liking dicks all of a sudden gives them fashion-sense superpowers (and no, knowing how to throw a pink scarf around one's sense does not automatically = "fasion sense").
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 3:59am
I do want some realistic portrayals. 
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:45pm

Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

I do want some realistic portrayals. 

Y'mean like this?

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 11:50am
That's more like, dang, y'all have nice bodies. Are you sure you just want to play for one team? Playing for multi teams is fun.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Blix View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 6:15pm
I know it may come as a shock to many, but there are actually many gay men who fit the "typical flaming queen" archetype. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic