Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Critical Mass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critical Mass
    Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 12:50pm
WackoWe should just forget about world peace.

Incidents like this make me laugh and feel futile about the future at the same time.

ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Sponsored Links

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 1:01pm
This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Yep.

britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 1:05pm
We're just never gonna get it together.  Never.

The only thing that would have made it PERFECT if it was indeed, a rally for world peace. 

I should have posted under "...Decline of West.Civ..."

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 1:18pm
I can sum a lot of incidents up in one word:  Monkeys.

britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 1:21pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 4:12pm
I have this thing to say about this.

"F U C K you Critical Mass"

f**k you for blocking my way to work.
f**k you for trying to prove a point by breaking the laws you say motorists break every day.
f**k you for throwing things in the street.

Here in Portland CM is was big, though they are slowly being silenced by a collective group of responsible bike riders.
We have crazy bike stuff here,the naked bike ride, the morning donuts on the Broadway Bridge every thursday morning, hell we have Zoo Bomb!
(drinks at the top of a hill on a friday night near the zoo and then a no pedal descent down a residential hill at top speed on little kid bikes, endorsed by the city and usually a very respectful bunch of loonies)
Our mayor is a HUGE bike advocate and he hates CM.

I have seen nothing good come from these morons.
Most are bandwagoners, and most like the seattle article states, are there just to party and get away with stuff they couldn't get away with otherwise.

My car was punched by a critical masser one year.
I was trying to go to the movies and I didn't know CM was on a road and I went down the road I usually go and I saw them, blocking the way.
I turned around politely (as I was kind of supportive of them then) and I heard a thunk and looked and saw a girl bike rider had punched my fender.
I flipped her off and revved my engine.
This was like throwing a rock in to a hornets' nest.
Suddenly these sh*ts were yelling my way and some were heading towards me. I was leaving by then.
I was pissed.

They disappear for some time and then rear their big stupid heads once in a while.
I think Portland's bike community is getting wiser and therefore making them less welcome here.
Of course it takes just a few fervent butt hurt bike riders to get them stirred again.
So in time I am sure they will be back. Especially with this press they are getting once more.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 5:06pm
The reason Critical Massers are so hated, is that they're even "in your face" towards people who might otherwise be sympathetic to their cause.  If they really had one.  Their only "cause" seems to be to piss you off.  How I remember those Friday evenings---getting out of work at 5 and having the major bus lines in the Financial District of San Francisco be immobilized for an hour or two, thanks to the groups of hundreds of bicyclists purposely blocking them.

The last thing you want to do on a Friday evening is be victimized by a bunch of slackers exercising their version of their "rights".

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 5:15pm
They seem to have captured the "entitled cyclist" attitude well.Ermm

Being a biker sometimes myself, I really get tired of the bad rep that these idiots give the rest of us.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 5:45pm
I ride my bike a lot and one of my rules is:  DON'T PISS OFF MOTORISTS!  They can kill you with that car.
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 7:08pm
Cyclists around here don't bug me that much EXCEPT when they insist on pretending they are a car.  They'll actually be in the left turn lane of the intersection, waiting for the green arrow.  Angry   You......are......not......a.......car!    Don't keep the rest of us waiting at the light while you pedal your self-righteous azz into an actual LANE intended for car traffic!

And, the spandex getups they wear, as if they were trying to shave seconds off their times at a velodrome, when they are just going down a regular street in a CITY, is just so sad it's funny.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 7:34pm
Ha the spandex.
I mean, I get it, if you are in a race or event, then yeah.
But some of these guys I KNOW are just going out for a jaunt or running to Whole Foods for some spelt bread and yet they get their little suits and shoes on and even wear numbers on their backs.

Sorry Mr. Graphic designer who bought a 3000 dollar bike, but you are on 4th and Broadway not the Alpe d'Huez climb.
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 7:39pm
LOL

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Ha the spandex.
I mean, I get it, if you are in a race or event, then yeah.
But some of these guys I KNOW are just going out for a jaunt or running to Whole Foods for some spelt bread and yet they get their little suits and shoes on and even wear numbers on their backs.

Sorry Mr. Graphic designer who bought a 3000 dollar bike, but you are on 4th and Broadway not the Alpe d'Huez climb.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Jerboam - you NAILED it!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

I ride my bike a lot and one of my rules is:  DON'T PISS OFF MOTORISTS!  They can kill you with that car.

We should ride together, sometime. I live by EXACTLY the same rule - and I too ride a LOT.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 8:28pm
Check the video from Times Square, NY.
NY's FINEST: (and I have relatives in the NYPD)

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Skerlnik Skerlnik wrote:

Cyclists around here don't bug me that much EXCEPT when they insist on pretending they are a car.  They'll actually be in the left turn lane of the intersection, waiting for the green arrow.

WHOA! The ones in your area actually wait, instead of cutting off oncoming traffic and then acting like because they're on a bike they automatically have right-of-way at anytime, any circumstance?!Shocked
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

WHOA! The ones in your area actually wait, instead of cutting off oncoming traffic and then acting like because they're on a bike they automatically have right-of-way at anytime, any circumstance?!Shocked

I'm sure some do.  That might be what some of those odd stains in the intersection are......

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:45pm
That's it! The bikers must be what the talking stain is!LOL
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 11:01pm
We don't have that problem here where I live, but you guys, ought to carry a little spray bottle around full of bleach, and when you pass them, squirt them in the ass with bleach, and suck the color out of their colorful little suits!!! LOL That would be funny to see a horde of bikers with big white asses pedaling down the streets!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 11:31pm
You may have started something, Wild!!LOL

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 11:48pm

When there's that many CM'ers gathered in one place, it usually means that it's time to cull the herd.

Now, some prefer using a harpoon gun, but a more practical method substitutes a grapnel:  You fire the grapnel over the herd, then quickly winch it in (much like snagging mullet.)   With a good pull, you can catch 2 or 3 at a time.  The riders usually get away (they'll run back and forth for hours in a panic, as they are unaccustomed to being on their feet), but the bike is the part you're after anyway, which can fetch a good price at your local scrap metal yard (but it's best to wait until you've collected enough to justify a trip there....)  Big%20smile
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 12:00am
Douche bags!

That's all I think when I see these twits in their spandex outfits parading through the local Wegman's market where I shop.

I'm in favor of exercise and other ways to improve your fitness, but these annoying a$$holes seem to enjoy flaunting and flexing anytime they're near anyone who is not as fit and trim.

Fvck them all! and Fvck their stupid cycle gatherings!
One man gathers what another man spills
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 7:44pm
OR you and a buddy and a steel cable attached to both your vehicles? A traveling clothesline would remove them from the streets!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 12:04am
We call them "Massholes."
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 12:15am
I was thinking of Wild's bleach stain suggestion....a bunch of bleached butts riding down a street could be called "Critical Ass".Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic