Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Halloween

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Halloween
    Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:13am
I'm surprised nobody has posted on this before (It's now winding down), but I hope everybody has as much fum as I did. I had Pizza for supper (Halloween and Super Bowl Sunday run neck-and-neck for the most consumption of Pizza in a day). Then it was time to serve the kiddies. I light my Pumpkin, then sat outside serving the kids as they went "Trick or Treating". By 9:00 PM they stopped coming, time for my "Spooky Movie Double Feature". I first watched the 1983 Twilight Zone - The Movie, followed by the 1953 George Pal Version of War of the Worlds. Halloween isn't over for me, I still have two more events to look for. Tomorrow I am going to check out a "Judgement House" Being put on by a Church near Ocala (For those of you unfamiliar to what Judgement House is, its a Play put on by Church Members. It centers around two or three players. One is a "Born Again" Christian and he presents the Gospel to the other two. One accepts Jesus, the Other doesn't (Sometimes a fourth player will get involved, this person is someone who's a "Pillar" of the Communityand is known to be "A Good Person". he too is presented the Gospel but he waives it, saying he'll get into Heaven his or her own way. Shortly thereafter Tragedy Strikes and all are killed. Next comes the Judgement. The one who accepted Jesus goes to Heaven, the others go to hell. The next room is the "Hell Room" where you see the New Arrivals scream in agony. The Devil make his own speech. Next is the Heaven Room. The Newest arrival Greets Jesus, then is reunited with a Family Member who passed away earlier. Jesus makes a Speech, and the play is over. The Preacher of the Sponsoring Church makes a Speech, He then takes Prayer Requests. The is also a Reception Room where light refreshments are served. Dont let the Religious Overtones upset you,IMO these plays are fun to attend. Finally on Saturday my Church is having their Winter Festival There will be a FREE Food Spread and there  will a little event called "Trunk or Treat where costumed children get candy. Halloween is coming THREE TIMES for me this year! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:55am
I sat in the front room roughing out a mock D&D game (to be used as fluff for a someday novel), not expecting a busy night.... 
Instead, I had 14 kids show up this year.  That's more than in the last 5 or 6 years combined (one year there was NONE.)  Good thing I didn't run out of candy, else I would have had to give them small handfuls from the jar of cat food I had near the front door....  Wink
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 4:00am
A bad evening to you all. I'm Papa Lazarou. You may remember me from television, I did Marilyn Manson on "Stars in their Eyes"

Well, they wouldn't let me do Shirley Temple, "ON THE GOOD SHIP LOLLIPOP!"

Actually, I did nothing to-day. When the only characters worth dressing up are culturally unacceptable for your current residence, or require at least a year of planning, designing, and creating (IE, a Dalek), you learn to pass on this day.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 4:31am
Dalek costumes are easy to make.  You just flip over a metal garbage can, stick a toilet plunger on the front, and you're done....  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 4:36am

Tomorrow, the real fun begins---the Feast of All Saints Day, followed by the Feast of all Souls Day.

Lotta feasts.  I wonder if they'll be serving leftover Tootsie Rolls.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 4:45am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Dalek costumes are easy to make.  You just flip over a metal garbage can, stick a toilet plunger on the front, and you're done....  LOL
Yeah, but...why do that when someone in the world is doing:

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 4:55am
I had pizza too. A Red Baron rising crust pepperoni & sausage.

Baked it to perfection this time, too. It was quite good.

Chased it with an ice cold cola out of a glass bottle.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrpppppp!!!!!!!!

Watched the new PBS Brit whodunit series "Death in Paradise" & then "Father Brown".

Not bad.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 5:03am

Didn't have too many kids this year.  I asked one kid in a beard and green fatigues if he was supposed to be Fidel Castro.  He said he was "Sy" from Duck Dynasty.  Looked just like Castro to me.

Lotta costumes that weren't really anything.  One kid looked like he wasn't wearing a costume at all.  I was prepared to give him a hard time till he turned around and showed me he had nickels taped to the back of his sweatshirt.  Nickelback.  Clever.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 1:43pm
As usual, I didn't have a single trick or treater. Sigh...

I watched the Saturday Night Live Halloween special then read a chapter or two before calling it a night. Yeah, I know... life in the fast lane.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 1:51pm
So, how was the SNL special?

Mostly new cast members, I suppose.

Any "classic" skits from days of yore?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 2:31pm

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

As usual, I didn't have a single trick or treater. Sigh...

All the kids were probably at schools and churches, participating in safe and wholesome "Fall Festival" group activities carefully supervised by respected authority figures.  Fun stuff.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

One kid looked like he wasn't wearing a costume at all.  I was prepared to give him a hard time till he turned around and showed me he had nickels taped to the back of his sweatshirt.  Nickelback.  Clever.

Gee, I sure hope he didn't exhaust all of his mental energy thinking up that costume idea.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 2:37pm

^  I didn't even know Nickelback was still a thing with the youth.  They seem kinda 2005. 

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 2:51pm
I think they're still putting out music, not sure though.  I suppose it's like Nirvana - they're still huge among the youth and their prime started back in '92.

As far as my night last night, it wasn't a whole lot and as usual trick or treaters were a no show.  A couple of neighbors came over, I whipped up some pigs in a blanket and we watched The Thing. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

I think they're still putting out music, not sure though.  I suppose it's like Nirvana - they're still huge among the youth and their prime started back in '92.

I should probably give them a listen one of these days.  That way, I can at least justify my otherwise knee-jerk dislike of them.  Right now, I couldn't even name one song, yet I instinctively dislike them.

OK, I just did.  Some song called Photograph and another one called Far Away.  Not awful, but not the least bit interesting.  And that pisses me off. 

I guess I was right all along.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:23pm
I was at the age when they got big where I got exposed to them by obligation, and couldn't stand them.  I've no idea what the 2 songs are that you listed, but I would recognize them if I heard them.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:29pm

^  My guess is that, if you've heard one, you've heard them all.  I've certainly heard that style, which sounds like Christian rock with even less interesting lyrics.  Lotsa "Never Again", "How You Remind me" and "If Everyone Cared" sorts of song titles.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:32pm
A few years back there was a video or .wav that overlapped 2 Nickelback hits, and they were close to identical in tempo, chord progression, vocal melody, everything.  LOL

Here it is:

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 3:51pm

Perfect.  LOL

Then again, I always loved the Ramones.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 4:27pm
^ Exactly.

And don't forget Lou "One Chord Is Fine" Reed.

I actually like one of those two overlapped songs...

Incidentally, a lot of bands & musicians' songs sound similar to each other & use a lot of the same chords.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic